3dr please offer a alternative camera

Reaction score
I actually bought the solo because I was long term GoPro user and fan, however after seeing the photo quality from the dji phantom I am very disappointed with my solo GoPro combination.

I'd like to replace my GoPro hero 4 black with a higher quality digital camera on my solo such as the Sony UMC-R10C however don't need the enterprise edition features.

learn to use your equipment. same sensor in both cameras for the most part
we all want to fly a DSLR but if you want that, you are going to need to spend a lot more money
a LOT

In many ways, Gopro is superior to the Yuneec and DJI cameras. But you have to know how to harness it. If you just want to push record and become a pro, good luck with that

learn to use your equipment. same sensor in both cameras for the most part
we all want to fly a DSLR but if you want that, you are going to need to spend a lot more money
a LOT

In many ways, Gopro is superior to the Yuneec and DJI cameras. But you have to know how to harness it. If you just want to push record and become a pro, good luck with that
Except the Sony camera he mentions is available for the Solo. It's just that with the required annual contract for site scan, it will cost close to $10,000.

I think it's reasonable to request better camera options for the Solo. There have even been some indications that we will get just that at NAB. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: aaronp
I bet dollar to donuts the sony camera and gimbal will be made avail to non-autodesk users. You cant tell me Sony & 3dr(gimbal) are going to develop a product and stop people from purchasing them if they dont buy software that has nothing to do with why they want the hardware...makes no sense..especially on Sonys part.

Besides, apparently Sitescan works adequately with GoPro as of now according to their materials...So which customer class needs better cameras/glass more, construction or cinematography?

pyrate get over yourself!

While the 4k video is good, the gopro is just a 12mp camera and the gopro images are useless for anything other than my clients instagram accounts.

Btw I would be very interested to have come over and have you show me how use "my equipment"

... the gopro is just a 12mp camera and the gopro images are useless for anything other than my clients instagram accounts.

While I very much share your opinion about wanting more camera options, at the same time I think saying that 12mp is useless for anything other than Instagram-- is going a bit far to make the point. Especially when you factor in some of the aftermarket lenses such as Peau's 3.97.

I've been doing aerial photography for decades (long before all these drones were around!) and to this day some of the biggest selling stock prints are from images taken with an ancient Canon D60 with its 6.3 MP sensor. The next camera-- a Canon 20D with it's 8.2 MP sensor was yet another "leap" in resolution.

Obviously GoPro & 3DR know where the sweet spot is with respect to their target market and sales potential. All of the GoPro models to date reflect that. And just as obvious, if you're 3DR, it's a no-brainer to want to take advantage of GoPro's popularity.

As 3DR goes down the road and starts to develop more enterprise related applications I think there's hope that there will be some more flexible camera options in the future for the basic Solo as well.

Reactions: indonesianpilot
While I very much share your opinion about wanting more camera options, at the same time I think saying that 12mp is useless for the anything other than Instagram-- is going a bit far to make the point. Especially when you factor in some of the aftermarket lenses such as Peau's 3.97.

I've been doing aerial photography for decades (long before all these drones were around!) and to this day some of the biggest selling stock prints are from images taken with an ancient Canon D60 with its 6.3 MP sensor. The next camera-- a Canon 20D with it's 8.2 MP sensor was yet another "leap" in resolution.

Obviously GoPro & 3DR know where the sweet spot is with respect to their target market and sales potential. All of the GoPro models to date reflect that. And just as obvious, if you're 3DR, it's a no-brainer to want to take advantage of GoPro's popularity.

As 3DR goes down the road and starts to develop more enterprise related applications I think there's hope that there will be some more flexible camera options in the future for the basic Solo as well.

WTF?? GoPro and DLSR are completely different cameras??

If you have been doing photography for "decades" I'm sure you don't need me to point out that your d60, and d20 both have much larger image sensors and lenses than the GoPro!

I already use photoshop to remove the fish eye, is there any other benefit to changing lenses?

Look, DJI have got it right with the inspire and even the phantom has quality Sony optics. If 3dr can't offer an alternative camera as much as I love the solo I'll just have to get the inspire

Last edited:
Reactions: Satmandanny
If you have been doing photography for "decades" I'm sure you don't need me to point out ...

I'll just have to get the inspire

What's with the "decades" quote?? And yes, I don't need you to point anything out to me-- thank you very much.

Good grief, just thought I'd basically agree with you about wanting other camera options and in the process make a few points as to the kinds of uses for GP images. Did not realize you were so thin skinned.

Best of luck with your Inspire.

Reactions: erikgraham
What's with the "decades" quote?? And yes, I don't need you to point anything out to me-- thank you very much.

Good grief, just thought I'd basically agree with you about wanting other camera options and in the process make a few points as to the kinds of uses for GP images. Did not realize you were so thin skinned.

Best of luck with your Inspire.

I just quoted what you said? Reread your post

Except the Sony camera he mentions is available for the Solo. It's just that with the required annual contract for site scan, it will cost close to $10,000.

I think it's reasonable to request better camera options for the Solo. There have even been some indications that we will get just that at NAB. Fingers crossed.

You're gonna regret not being at NAB. :) That's all I can say about that.

spoiler alert
maybe. My schedule at NAB might provide a clue too. I'm very excited about what's happening with 3DR, their competitors, and where the open platform is going.

BTW, those who want a different camera might try the Sony AS 50, 100, or 10004K with stabilization. It's very impressive.
For those that don't like the GoPro, just check out my first flight with the Phantom 4. I left both GoPro and Phantom in their normal state. I did put the GoPro in ProTune, but no color processing was done on either camera. GP with ProTune blows the P4 camera a way.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow the p4 footage looks really flat/muddy/sick

Your GP looks pretty darn good...Im assuming you have peau color profile fix on that one?

Wow the p4 footage looks really flat/muddy/sick

Your GP looks pretty darn good...Im assuming you have peau color profile fix on that one?

nope. It's a stock 4Black, in Protune. No profile used. No peau lens. 2.7K/60p. Same setting as the Phantom.

Bear in mind I could modify the Phantom camera profiles, but then it's not "straight out of the box."

nope. It's a stock 4Black, in Protune. No profile used. No peau lens. 2.7K/60p. Same setting as the Phantom.

Bear in mind I could modify the Phantom camera profiles, but then it's not "straight out of the box."
The GP is most definitely more vibrant. The P4 looks a little hazy. But both are just fine

While the 4k video is good, the gopro is just a 12mp camera and the gopro images are useless for anything other than my clients instagram accounts.

Btw I would be very interested to have come over and have you show me how use "my equipment"
This is nonsense, there's Hollywood films even this year using the GoPro, if you can't get video or photo a client is happy with from the GoPro the camera isn't the only problem.

True it would be good to have more options than the GoPro and I'm sure that's coming as others have said but the GoPro can match the Phantom and Inspire's X3 any day, they're very similar camera setups down to the same bitrate.

In fact last week I went flying the Solo with a friend who has the Inspire, I took a photo of the Inspire, he took a photo of the Solo and both were posted on the Inspire Facebook page, most people said the GoPro shot looked better, albeit I'd coloured that myself, but it just goes to show the effort made in post can make all the difference.

Last edited:

If you want training, you will need to come to me and you will pay for it. I dont have time to train 5 post wonders acting tough behind a keyboard
My advice was sound and not out of line.

Go buy a phantom and declare yourself a Hollywood producer.
anyone with the ability to use a search function can see what the gopro is capable of, and its a lot less work than bashing someone who is trying to help.
That is if you are interested in learning and developing your craft. If you just want to troll forums then you are in the right place

I did put the GoPro in ProTune, but no color processing was done on either camera. GP with ProTune blows the P4 camera a way.
I'm confused by that. Protune is fundamentally designed to be color corrected in post. It's basically required. I suppose if you put it in Protune, but went with GoPro Color and an appropriate white balance, then it should look pretty good out of the camera. Maximum quality can only be achieved with Protune, Flat Color, Native WB, low sharpening, PLUS color correction. I don't know all the settings that are possible on the P4, but I thought you could shoot flat. In fact I was under the impression that you can get much closer to a raw with the settings on a p3/p4 than you can with a GoPro. For me, the only true comparison would be to shoot both cameras as flat as possible and compare the color corrected results of both.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc