3dr please offer a alternative camera

I agree with your analysis Mr. GRAHAM. SOME people do not know how to color correct there video. Maybe you should explain how to color correct in posting, and with what programs. All cameras in my opinion need color correcting and the editing of the video allows us to create.
From all I read, color correcting is an art as much as anything. I'm still learning.o_O

From all I read, color correcting is an art as much as anything. I'm still learning.o_O

Color correction is subjective, and no two colorists will do things the same. It's not so much about "learning" as finding the aesthetic that you prefer. Some prefer a very flat, "natural" look, while others might want more or less saturation (either broad or chroma-specific). One thing I'd suggest you learn/understand earlier than later, is viewing scopes. There is a lot of great information out there; here are a couple of resources:

Continuity of Colors: Matching Exposure and Balance

Learn to Use Your Scopes! - Easy Colour Correction

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley
I actually bought the solo because I was long term GoPro user and fan, however after seeing the photo quality from the dji phantom I am very disappointed with my solo GoPro combination.

I'd like to replace my GoPro hero 4 black with a higher quality digital camera on my solo such as the Sony UMC-R10C however don't need the enterprise edition features.

Tiny Sony UMC-S3C 4K Camera | Cinescopophilia
This one isn't intended for Solo (too heavy) but provides an idea of where all this is heading.

There will be more announcements happening this week.
Hope to see some of you at NAB.

Reactions: jibcamera
--->
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Pretty awesome. Says stabilized, but didn't offer video shot with it.

Pretty awesome. Says stabilized, but didn't offer video shot with it.

This is old, but the stabilization even in very high wind, is -reasonable.-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Jubalr
Hi all - maybe I missed sth, but worth asking anyways: Does anyone know if/when a light weight (digital?) zoom camera with gimbal will be available for non-enterprise users for Solo. With pan/tilt and zoom controllable from ground? Like a lightweight Sony or similar? Thx

Hi all - maybe I missed sth, but worth asking anyways: Does anyone know if/when a light weight (digital?) zoom camera with gimbal will be available for non-enterprise users for Solo. With pan/tilt and zoom controllable from ground? Like a lightweight Sony or similar? Thx

I sold my solo a few months ago... I now use Dji products, I couldn't wait any longer for GoPro or 3dr to get their act together and offer an alternative camera

Reactions: jibcamera
Pyrate talk is cheap, it's time to move out of your mums basement...

Anyway for everyone else, this post was just asking the question for an alternative camera, not after an explanation how awesome you are, I just wanted a better camera.

Btw, just to clarify I've never had any issues with the video quality, in fact that is way better than DJI, however I was just after a higher resolution camera with better optics, however it seems most of you are quite content with the GoPro setup which makes me think it's going to be a while before we see any real changes or improvements.

To everyone else thanks for the useful input.

Anyway best of luck out there.

Ap
My mother passed
So has my father
thank you

I'm sure you'd see a lot more gimbals and camera options if solo didn't basically fail in the marketplace. No one is going to dump hundreds of thousand in research and prototyping and manufacturing to bring something new to market for a drone that is basically winding down. The numbers just don't support it. They'd lose money and fail before they even started. If there were a million solos out there like there are DJI products, then there would be a (profitable) market for new products.

If I wanted to use a different camera, personally I would have bought a quad that wasn't married to gopro. It is what it is, and what it was designed to do, and marketed as. 3DR never said they would be making alternatives. They provided the gimbal interface and documentation to allow other 3rd parties to make one and integrate it if they wish. I think the fact that there are none tells me there isn't a very big market for one - or there'd be one, or more. Companies don't build products to lose money. If they think they could make money in it - they'd do it. I'm sure they've totally researched the market.

or 3DR could just sell its QX1 gimbal to us....instead of trying to keep it from us
IMG_PROD_QX1_02.jpg

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley
I'm sure they'll sell you an enterprise package that has it. It's not like it's not for sale. How much do you think they would cost individually? Surely a hell of a lot more than the $400 originally priced GP gimbal. At least double. It's a more robust gimbal and not manufactured in nearly the same large quantities that the originals were. And then people would bitch about putting a $800 gimbal on a $600 drone lol.

what I feel like I am missing is there are lots of minor players in this game that are building entire platforms
that means they have captial and R&D
I am waiting for the light to come on that says, make a universal gimbal camera with add on interfaces and focus on delivering a drone camera that will work on all the other drones as well as DIY.
then you have the entire market as a customer base.. not just the piece you can arrest away from DJI

3DR never said they would be making alternatives. They provided the gimbal interface and documentation to allow other 3rd parties to make one and integrate it if they wish.

Have you looked at that documentation? Its only half done. Yes you can make one physically fit but the integrating documentation is lacking. They said they'd finish the doco but never did.

I am a 3DR supporter (spent an hour a few days ago showing a 2 person crew using a dji inspire how i could replicate their shots with just me and do it repeatedly) but this kinda documemented but not annoys me.

You dont need 100's of thousands of dollars to do smaller batches plenty of drone stuff is done in small numbers. Yes including R&D, if you integrate existing gimbals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What I would ultimately like to see is 3DR releasing the information necessary to have Solo communicate with the gimbal. Plenty of smart people in the open source world, we could have a controller prototyped and gimbal mechanics could be fairly easily done. The sticking point is how do we communicate to the camera its self?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela