Put a Sony RX 100 on the Solo as an external camera (no gimbal)

Reaction score
Hi

I asked a few questions a couple of month ago in this great thread Nikon J5 mirrorless camera on 3Dr Solo - ch7 shutter.
Now I will try to get this working. So I decided to start an own thread with my silly questions instead of hijack the other thread.

I want to trigger a Sony RX 100 with the left paddle and with mission planner or maybe Solex Mission. I want to allow the Sony RX 100 to set aperture and focus for a few tenth of a second before each shot. This is accomplished with a little Arduino sketch running on an Arduino board which is triggered with a short pulse. The Arduino part is working.

I have soldered a cable to pin 19 and to 5v and ground from the gimbal. The positive 5v and ground is used to run the Arduino.
Then as I understand, Long press pause button to enable left paddle and also the software shutter button in Solex to trigger external camera. Is there something else?
The long press on pause button do flashes the "CH 7 enabled**" on the controller display.

The only way I manage to get a trigger signal (high) from pin 19 is to long press the pause button and fore some reason it only works sometimes. I thought the camera was supposed to be triggered by pressing the left paddle down (as a button until it clicks).
I can put a led direct between the cable from pin 19 and ground and sometimes (almost never) it flashes for a tenth of a second as supposed. When long pressing pause button though...
I do reboot Solo between changing settings. But that seems unnecessary.
Running latest OpenSolo and Solex.

Please see my current settings in attached parameter list from Mission planner. Obviously I have missed something.

Regards

Attachments

• ParameterSettings.png
    ParameterSettings.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SoloYellowToPin19.JPG
    SoloYellowToPin19.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 26
Compared to a GoProManager.py from september 2019. The stuff to the left was not in the usr/bin/GoProManager.py on the Solo.
Now it works like charm.

Thanks!

Edit. Here is some info about GoProManager.py Camera Paddle/Trigger/Ch7

Attachments

• GoProManagerDiff.JPG
    GoProManagerDiff.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: makatanav
Oh. Right. OpenSolo made that change to make non-GoPro triggers easier.

Yes. That part of the code is included in Opensolo. Unfortunately not in my Solo since my GoProManager.py was an old version. I must have messed up something when I installed.

Last edited:
I remember seeing on the 3dr website a bird running rx100 with gimbal (was after they left the retail market and were offering surveying) - may be possible to get the design if they are still around!

W.

Reactions: perkele

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela