Video: Stock vs. 4.35 vs. 3.97 mm Peau replacement lens

Reaction score
I put together a video that compares the stock GoPro lens to the the Peau 4.35 and the new 3.97 mm lens.

I created a simple mission with some maneuvers that are aggressive enough to show the legs and the front arms in the shot on a stock GoPro. I still maintain that if you fly soft and smooth you can shoot in 4K Wide with a stock lens and not get the arms or legs in frame. Anyway, here you go:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

EDIT: Corrected to say 3.97 (not 3.95)

Last edited:
I really like that 3.95 lens
yeah. Its a bit wider angle than the 4.35 and I think the image quality might be a touch better. I haven't been able to check out the results at the office (on a big 4K monitor). Its hard for me to tell on a laptop. Its worth mentioning that the light changed between each flight as the clouds moved. A true test would be to mount all 3 and fly them at the same time.

I really like that 3.95 lens
And I forgot to mention, my GoPro with the 3.97 mm lens installed seems to be almost exactly the same weight as a stock GoPro. The gimbal balances perfectly with it. My GoPro with the 4.35 mm lens definitely is heavier than the stock setup and doesn't balance in the gimbal.

Edit: Corrected to say 3.97 (not 3.95)

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this together. I keep looking for some reason to jump to a Peu lens from my 4.4
So far I am just not seeing it. Looks like a great lens maybe had I not already purchased the 4.4

Have to agree with Tro, love the look of that 3.95. Looks like a winner if it's similar in weight!

I put together a video that compares the stock GoPro lens to the the Peau 4.35 and the new 3.95 mm lens.

I created a simple mission with some maneuvers that are aggressive enough to show the legs and the front arms in the shot on a stock GoPro. I still maintain that if you fly soft and smooth you can shoot in 4K Wide with a stock lens and not get the arms or legs in frame. Anyway, here you go:

Thank you Erik, I needed to see this.

Oops. Just realized it 3.97 mm, not 3.95. I'll have to go back and correct that.

I put together a video that compares the stock GoPro lens to the the Peau 4.35 and the new 3.95 mm lens.

That "Log house" Video is my favorite.
Please tell us about that one, Lens? Video editor? Color correcting.

Thanks

Reactions: cameraguy
Superb info,
I've just brought the 3.97 which are on sale atm, Moving from the 5.4.
Log house vid is so smooth.

Nice result in the FA Cup yesterday erikgraham.

Reactions: erikgraham
That "Log house" Video is my favorite.
Please tell us about that one, Lens? Video editor? Color correcting.

Thanks
That was shot with the 4.35. Edited in Final Cut. Color correction in Final Cut using Color Finale.

Reactions: Doug Benson
I just updated the video and text in my posts to correctly say "3.97" mm lens. (Not 3.95 mm lens).

Here is a video shot with the 4.35. I just posted this in the GoPro settings thread, but actually meant to post it here.

So thats the 4.35 4K Wide ND8 PL filter. Color corrected in Resolve, edited in Final Cut. The 4.35 shoots a nice sharp image in focus at all distances. I added some selective blurring as a sort of fake depth of field (also did that on log house video posted earlier).

Last edited:
Nice one. I'm considering the Ribcage mod and both Ribcage and Peau lenses. Coming from a photography background, I'm looking for any info on lens sharpness, color and rendering of the non-distortion lenses available.

Reactions: Stephen jennings
Took the plunge and went the Peau 3.97mm route. My ragecams 4.2mm has been great but the lens flares are artrocious. Though i am thinking about installing it on a secondary gopro and focusing it for more up close shots. Huge thx to the OP for the comparison vid. It helped.

Let us know how you like it, the pricing they have on it right now is nice.
Just cant see enough difference to make the jump for me.

Took the plunge and went the Peau 3.97mm route. My ragecams 4.2mm has been great but the lens flares are artrocious. Though i am thinking about installing it on a secondary gopro and focusing it for more up close shots. Huge thx to the OP for the comparison vid. It helped.
I'm increasingly sold on the 3.97 myself. In a GoPro H4 black it balances with the Solo gimbal with no counter weights. Of course, adding filters (BlurFix or Polar Pro) will throw the balance off again, but anyway.

The BIG thing to watch out for with these lenses is throwing them out of focus when taking off or putting on filters. If you twist a little bit as you slide the filter on, you can actually twist the lens itself, throwing off the focus. Once a lens is focused I mark it with a sharpie. I do a little line from the body of the GoPro onto the side of the lens. If the lens gets twisted out of focus, the line I drew will be broken.

that is what I did, using a detail paint brush, I put tiny dots on the outer ring of the lens and the inner edge of the housing, at 3 and 6 oclock
if my lens ever moves, and it has not so far, all I need to do is realign the marks

I tried doing a lens profile for pro dad folks, the error rate on the video was perfect, but the correction errored out, I assume because there was just no distortion to correct.

I like that you have less lens flare with no need rebalance the 4.4 is very heavy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl