Video: Stock vs. 4.35 vs. 3.97 mm Peau replacement lens

Is it just me or does the Peau lens have terrible softness and render a blue colour.
The Peau lenses definitely don't have a blue colour. If your basing that on my comparison video above, then just remember I was shooting late in the day, over snow, with variable lighting conditions that changed every few minutes, including between each flight. Because of that, the comparison video I posted is really only useful as a way to compare field of view. I guess it's also useful in that it demonstrates that the legs won't show up on the wider 3.97, even during some moderate to aggressive maneuvers.
Relish on the 4 but also looks soft compared to stock lens. I wonder if shooting 2.7K medium with stock lens s would be the best video quality, might loose a bit of scaling room but I think it would be the best image quality. Opinions anyone?
Definitely not. With a stock lens you'd be better off shooting 4K wide and cropping in post. Shooting in Medium crops you sensor anyway, so for best quality, don't use it (unless you don't want to deal with the added hassle of cropping in post).

The best overall quality I've found so far is the Peau 3.97 shot in 4K wide. The 3.97 is 16 megapixel, more than enough to stay sharp, even if shooting photos (GoPro is limited to 12 megapixels for photos).

The second best quality I've found, is the stock lens. Sharpeness and colour is equal to the 3.97, but it's fisheye.

Third is the 4.35 which I find to be a touch softer than the 3.97 or the stock lens.

Last edited:
someone on FB just said all after market lenses are cropped
I am unaware of that.
Is that a true statement that these after market lenses don't use the full sensor?
I thought they did
No. They aren't cropped. They are more zoomed in, which that guy might think is cropping.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Dimitry,

I believe this is the first step to being able to remove the pink in a GP4? Getting root access first? If so, any idea what the other steps are?

Cheers

Hi Dimitry,

I believe this is the first step to being able to remove the pink in a GP4? Getting root access first? If so, any idea what the other steps are?

Cheers
then I do not know, and no one wants to suggest how to register

Some do know how it's done "local members", but not wanting to infringe on other's income from preforming this service for $45.
This topic has come up before, & no help so far?

Some do know how it's done "local members", but not wanting to infringe on other's income from preforming this service for $45.
I think it's a matter of time

That is entirely up to them and I do respect that. However, I agree with Dmitry, it's only a matter of time. Shipping costs are a huge factor in how this service is performed. Turn around time is another.
Same goes for the new 3.97 lens. The exclusivity on that lens will end at some point which I will not disclose. I know the manufacturers. They are not selling it to anyone till that agreement runs out (or unless Peau signs a new agreement to extend exclusivity and guarantee new sales). I guess I can wait.

Reactions: SteveReno
That is entirely up to them and I do respect that. However, I agree with Dmitry, it's only a matter of time. Shipping costs are a huge factor in how this service is performed. Turn around time is another.
Same goes for the new 3.97 lens. The exclusivity on that lens will end at some point which I will not disclose. I know the manufacturers. They are not selling it to anyone till that agreement runs out (or unless Peau signs a new agreement to extend exclusivity and guarantee new sales). I guess I can wait.
Since it's a software solution, it could be done via net PCtoPC SW.
If Peau wants to stay in the "Stone age" up to them.
i'm sure that this idea will/can work.

Setting aside the GoPro color profile discussion for a moment, an alternative is the new rib cage setup. http://www.back-bone.ca/product/ribcage-air-camera-solo-pro-bundle/

For $1,000 you get a GoPro witch allows for swappable m12 lenses.

Swappable lenses is a pretty attractive feature, but I haven't tried one and can't attest to the quality of the 4.2m lens it ships with. Also, it's a pricey alternative to sending in to Peau to have them swap the lens for you (and remove the profile).

yeah no, that is used GH4 territory or even a Black Magic Mini
yes I know there is no gimbal for those yet

I think so, the lens profile is still going to be a problem
though one of the better fixes seems to be adding one of their IR cut filters to the front on the new lens

I understand you can "get rid" of it using a filter, but filters...well, filter. They're filtering the entire image, not just the parts that are pink. So even though it's just an IR filter, I still tend to think that it would slightly degrade the overall image quality vs removing the problem (lens profile purposefully ADDING pink) to begin with. You won't get 1:1 results by using a filter to remove something that was artificially added in, especially when it's not added in uniformly. The pink is only applied to the corners and not the whole image.

I think so, the lens profile is still going to be a problem
though one of the better fixes seems to be adding one of their IR cut filters to the front on the new lens
For those who want to try, search:
CONFIG_LENS_OEM=n

You'll need to figure out how to connect to your model of GoPro, but there are plenty of videos on that (and plenty of posts on this site with video tutorials, including above).

No one is sure if this will actually remove the color profile, but it would be nice if someone wants to try - and post back here.

Some think finding that line in the firmware will do it, others argue not.
Without the firmware source code you are still out in the cold. I did connect to gopro root and you can grab all the files, but that setting is no where to be found. My guess is it is in a binary somewhere
so you would need the source code and that has not been found

it would be a nice toggle setting, but my guess is they have bigger fish to fry right now

Just got an email (feb 3, 2016). Peau is having a sale. I think the 3.97mm is $80 off right now.

(They have SALE prices for all their lenses)

After experimenting with these, I recommend the 3.97mm. Here are my reasons why:

1. Same weight. Gimbal balances with no counter weights. Other replacement lenses require balancing.
  2. Sharp. Rated up to 16 megapixels, so good detail vs lenses like the 4.35.
  3. "Zoomed" in versus stock, but still has a fairly wide angle, so vibrations aren't exaggerated as much as narrower lenses.
  4. Really nice lens flare.
  5. Same f stop as stock lens... meaning it allows in the same amount of light into the camera, which is good because the GoPro internal firmware is tuned to that amount of light. (This is kind of unimportant if you with shoot Protune ON, and color correct in post, but it's a nice perk).

Reactions: Bob I. and J R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo