Peau Lens - GoPro 4 Black Focus Question

Reaction score
Website
vsasolutions.com
I got my Peau 3.87 lens, did the replacement, all went well. I thought I had it focused right yesterday as the video looked pretty good. I went to see if I could get it focused a little better today and the focus seems completely off. It is an overcast and rainy day. I have same issue indoors. Focus seems ok but not sharp and crisp. What is going on. So here are my questions:

• Do I need to focus outdoors with natural light?
  • Does it need to be a bright day?
  • Can you focus inside using inside light?
  • Are you able to use the GoPro app and your phone to focus?
Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so hopefully I will get it right and get to fly. I am sure this all been answered before but couldn't find info out from my searches. Any insight is appreciated as always.

Hmm. My brain says someone did a nice write-up on this. Maybe @RichWest or @jimloss ? If I recall you want to use as large a TV as you can manage and it is a gnats-hair left-or-right situation. The light shouldn't matter other than more will let you see fuzzy better.

Reactions: vsasolutions
Not me... I do a trial error approach with photos, mark the lens position and then dial it in to infinity...

Quick update. So we had great weather today and GoPro is definitely dependent on light. I took the suggestion and bought a micro SD to HDMI adapter and hooked it up to my 60" 4k TV. My trial and error focusing seemed to be on the money. Using the TV would have been a lot easier than trial and error. Did my first flight with the new lens and a ND8 filter. Maybe a little too strong for time of day but the footage was still pretty solid. Today was 20 mph winds and you definitely notice with this lens. Going sideways quite a bit of noticeable shake. Forward motion was much better but shake still there. This lens will make for some great panos.

Now I have ordered the software correction for the profile, have not received my download link yet but it is not really noticeable at all. I am putting my plan together for tomorrow. Going to film this new park and put a video together for grins. Thanks for all the advice.

I've received my Peau lens and now waiting for a HDMI cable for the television. Since I just found this thread I'm guessing you've done the software correction by now. How do the before and after images compare?

Can you post a link for the peau lens? Is this for mapping? Low distortion? Increased spectral range (ir and uv)? I have a gp4 coming off ebay and would like to modify either my gp3 or 4 for mapping & ag work

Edit...found the lenses but wouldn't mind some input on their choice/usage

Last edited:
Can you post a link for the peau lens? Is this for mapping? Low distortion? Increased spectral range (ir and uv)? I have a gp4 coming off ebay and would like to modify either my gp3 or 4 for mapping & ag work

Edit...found the lenses but wouldn't mind some input on their choice/usage
Mostly people want to get rid of the fisheye effect. I haven't installed mine yet so can't speak to the effort required to replace the lens. YouTube has numerous videos. Peau will also sell you a color correction file that fixes some color fringing at the edges with your new lens. Maybe you will need it, maybe not.

Installation is easy. Many videos to replace a gopro lens. Trickiest part is to get it to focus.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc