Video: Stock vs. 4.35 vs. 3.97 mm Peau replacement lens

I like that you have less lens flare with no need rebalance the 4.4 is very heavy

I'm not sure the 3.97 has less lens flare. I haven't been able to fly it enough. If you see less lens flare in the comparison video, that could just be because the lighting was different. The clouds were roaring past and the light changed every few minutes. I'm curious to see how the colors will compare between the lenses once I get a chance to shoot them all under the same lighting conditions.

Reactions: pyrate
I am waiting on a video that rocks me, then I may get it.
it seems to be selling well, just need to see more real life use

I am waiting on a video that rocks me, then I may get it.
it seems to be selling well, just need to see more real life use
Well I like the alternate lenses (obviously), but the stock lens is very good and sharp and if you fly smooth you won't get the landing gear. And even if you do, just using the fish eye fixer in GoPro Studio will have the side effect of removing most arms and legs. And if you shoot 4K Wide then you'll still have plenty of pixels to crop in quite a bit without scaling below 1080P.

Awesome vid man!

What's up with the color temperature between the three videos? Middle looks cool and right looks warm, is that the lens or just varying lighting conditions?
varying lighting conditions. Clouds were rolling fast. At some point I'll do a comparison under better lighting conditions.

I want to do the mod "now that my work flow is by-passing GPStudio, I need RAW files from the GPB4"
things are bothering me are:

Cost of lens.
The extra $40 just to get rid of the " Pink Eye" Why did they make a lens that isn't GP profile in the first place?

Vibrations:
Done all the Vibration Mods & Very satisfied with current results.
If i buy lens, then near shots show Vibration Via the lens, I'll be upset with myself.
The the owners of the 3.97mm see Vibrations introduced in near shot? "I do lot's of trees & gardens" Botanical stuff. I hate using stabilization via SW, Premiere CC. It muddles the video.

I know i'm going to get it, cause i need it & will deal with Cost & other mods again :(
just asking follow Flyers

cant speak for the 3.97 but I am guessing they are close, the vibration magnification I experienced with the 4.4 was almost non existent.
Much to my delighted surprise.

I shoot 4 or 2.7K all the time and crop down to 1080 so a little post stabilization never bothered me.
After researching a very expensive octo build to carry a GH3 I learned, no one using arial footage professionally skips stabilization in post anyway

The gopro profile is to compensate for defects in the wide (120 FOV) lens. Defects which occur naturally from such a wide angle lens. In order for other lenses to properly utilize the same profile (which is basically correcting a "mistake"), they would need to suffer from the same defects which is what most people are trying to get away from.

Reactions: erikgraham
The gopro profile is to compensate for defects in the wide (120 FOV) lens. Defects which occur naturally from such a wide angle lens. In order for other lenses to properly utilize the same profile (which is basically correcting a "mistake"), they would need to suffer from the same defects which is what most people are trying to get away from.
thanks for the reply.
So with new this lens from Peau, if set to medium or narrow will not produce the pick conners or to lesser degree?

No, the pink will be there until the original gopro lens profile is removed, which afaik only Peau knows how to do currently. The lens profile ADDs the pink, so it will show up on everything but a stock GP lens. It doesn't have to do with the "wide/narrow" shooting mode selectable from the GP. It has to do with the degree of curvature of the actual lens in order to get 120 deg. FOV.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Iconic Images
thanks for the reply.
So with new this lens from Peau, if set to medium or narrow will not produce the pick conners or to lesser degree?
You don't want to shoot in medium or narrow with these lenses. It just captures from a smaller area on the sensor, and then that gets spread out to fill the frame. You will want to remove the lens profile. I think Peau has instructions for how to do that for customers. You could also send in your GoPro and they will replace the lens and remove the profile for you.

peu will not tell you how to do it, have to send it in
the double stack IR filter seems to work pretty well, its how I am going

Chiming in on the virtues of the 3.97... My first and only lens replacement. Love it! To see straight lines in all directions is remarkable after using the stock lens, it like a rebirth of the while Solo system to me. I had it installed at Peau after I messed up. A great investment.

Reactions: Bob I.
I'm an old guy that has to read a lot of your info and then get the nerve up to do this stuff. But I just got my gopro back from Peau, with the new 3.97. And I got some ND filters and the circular polarizer. I don't know how to use the GP Studio software or any other brand for post corrections. I need to read the tutorials. But some day with all your comments on here which I appreciate reading, I hope to figure some of this stuff out.

I'm an old guy that has to read a lot of your info and then get the nerve up to do this stuff. But I just got my gopro back from Peau, with the new 3.97. And I got some ND filters and the circular polarizer. I don't know how to use the GP Studio software or any other brand for post corrections. I need to read the tutorials. But some day with all your comments on here which I appreciate reading, I hope to figure some of this stuff out.
With the Peau lens, you can skip GoPro Studio because it mostly useful for removing fisheye, and you don't need that feature any more. If you are on a Mac, I recommend starting with iMovie to edit your videos. It has a nice stabilizer built in to smooth out any jitters. It's also fairly easy to use. If you get into it, you could then move to Final Cut because it's similar to iMovie so you want be learning from scratch. If you are on a PC, a lot of folks like Prodrenalin because it has a good stabilizer. Hit Film studio is another good editing application. Premiere Pro is awesome (on PC or Mac), but the user interface is dated and cumbersome. Good luck!

P.s. If you do take the plunge into something like iMovie or Prodrenalin here is one tip on image stabilization. Stabilizers generally work better on shorter clips than on longer clips, especially if there are lots of sudden changes in direction or camera pitch during the longer clip. So it's best to cut up your video into small clips and stabilize each one individually. It's also handy to do that so you can cut out the boring parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jubalr
Is it just me or does the Peau lens have terrible softness and render a blue colour. Relish on the 4 but also looks soft compared to stock lens. I wonder if shooting 2.7K medium with stock lens s would be the best video quality, might loose a bit of scaling room but I think it would be the best image quality. Opinions anyone?

someone on FB just said all after market lenses are cropped
I am unaware of that.
Is that a true statement that these after market lenses don't use the full sensor?
I thought they did

i've looked into aftermarket lenses...obviously time saved to defish and not having to fly as closely to the subject are so desirable

but because microstutters/vibrations are more apparent, I ultimately decided to keep the stock lens. Until someone posts how to remove GoProfile pink tint...then I will not look into it any further.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig