Video: Stock vs. 4.35 vs. 3.97 mm Peau replacement lens

Just got an email (feb 3, 2016). Peau is having a sale. I think the 3.97mm is $80 off right now.

(They have SALE prices for all their lenses)

After experimenting with these, I recommend the 3.97mm. Here are my reasons why:

1. Same weight. Gimbal balances with no counter weights. Other replacement lenses require balancing.
  2. Sharp. Rated up to 16 megapixels, so good detail vs lenses like the 4.35.
  3. "Zoomed" in versus stock, but still has a fairly wide angle, so vibrations aren't exaggerated as much as narrower lenses.
  4. Really nice lens flare.
  5. Same f stop as stock lens... meaning it allows in the same amount of light into the camera, which is good because the GoPro internal firmware is tuned to that amount of light. (This is kind of unimportant if you with shoot Protune ON, and color correct in post, but it's a nice perk).

I now have the lens and ultimately, like it a lot. I shoot the lens with native white balance and flat and correct in post (as recommended by Peau). This requires a bit more work in post but it's better than default GoPro Protunes with stock lens. I do find the lens to be sharp but also needs sharpening in post. I love the flat field and the FOV, while still wide, is not quite as wide as stock.

Here's a recent still frame grab from a video (2.7k @ 60fps).Lake Minnetonka 013016-1-2.jpg

Reactions: erikgraham
With the Peau lens, you can skip GoPro Studio because it mostly useful for removing fisheye, and you don't need that feature any more. If you are on a Mac, I recommend starting with iMovie to edit your videos. It has a nice stabilizer built in to smooth out any jitters. It's also fairly easy to use. If you get into it, you could then move to Final Cut because it's similar to iMovie so you want be learning from scratch. If you are on a PC, a lot of folks like Prodrenalin because it has a good stabilizer. Hit Film studio is another good editing application. Premiere Pro is awesome (on PC or Mac), but the user interface is dated and cumbersome. Good luck!

P.s. If you do take the plunge into something like iMovie or Prodrenalin here is one tip on image stabilization. Stabilizers generally work better on shorter clips than on longer clips, especially if there are lots of sudden changes in direction or camera pitch during the longer clip. So it's best to cut up your video into small clips and stabilize each one individually. It's also handy to do that so you can cut out the boring parts.

ErikGraham, I need to thank you again for your reply way back on Jan 16th. I have admired all your posts and your depth of knowledge on all subjects connected to this sport/hobby/profession/skill/fun/electrical engineering/photography challenge/stay in the air safely/ emotional addiction called quad copter flying. As I am trying to learn all the technical aspects of flying the Solo including the wifi, the GPS, the video use of GoPro, antennas, lenses, filters, the details of the yet to be tried Tower and smart modes, and the control of the go pro and the whole editing aspect, I am living on all you guys every word. I finally put together a few seconds of footage and figured out the most basics of GoPro Studio. I need more time in the saddle but with all your help I will keep practicing. And I really love your fast spin-swoosh-blend between clips. I saw this somewhere on your posts. Are you a pro-aerial cinematographer? Keep up your great work, and thanks for sharing all your knowledge.
Mike

Reactions: J R
ErikGraham, I need to thank you again for your reply way back on Jan 16th. I have admired all your posts and your depth of knowledge on all subjects connected to this sport/hobby/profession/skill/fun/electrical engineering/photography challenge/stay in the air safely/ emotional addiction called quad copter flying. As I am trying to learn all the technical aspects of flying the Solo including the wifi, the GPS, the video use of GoPro, antennas, lenses, filters, the details of the yet to be tried Tower and smart modes, and the control of the go pro and the whole editing aspect, I am living on all you guys every word. I finally put together a few seconds of footage and figured out the most basics of GoPro Studio. I need more time in the saddle but with all your help I will keep practicing. And I really love your fast spin-swoosh-blend between clips. I saw this somewhere on your posts. Are you a pro-aerial cinematographer? Keep up your great work, and thanks for sharing all your knowledge.
Mike
Thanks Mike. There are many others on these boards with far more knowledge and experience than I have. It is indeed a really great place to learn. I know I have. Just keep asking and eventually it all will click. At some point we should create some kind of manual with all the stuff you can't really learn from 3DRs docs or website. (and no. I don't have a 333 exemption and would never work professionally until I had one ;-). I guess you could say I'm in the software business.

I put together a video that compares the stock GoPro lens to the the Peau 4.35 and the new 3.97 mm lens.

I created a simple mission with some maneuvers that are aggressive enough to show the legs and the front arms in the shot on a stock GoPro. I still maintain that if you fly soft and smooth you can shoot in 4K Wide with a stock lens and not get the arms or legs in frame. Anyway, here you go:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for that. I think it's time to retire my 5.4 mm lens and get the 3.97

First time poster.

I'm ready to take the plunge on the 3.97 and have the filter removed, but when purchasing should I opt for the lens with or without the Visible Light filter?

Just dropped AUD$999.90 on a new PeauPro82.

James was really helpful answering my questions and thanks to all the crew here for the info and to @erikgraham for his comparison video on this thread.

I'm looking forward to getting some great images. Have an upcoming trip to south-west Victoria here in Australia and will be trying to get some footage at the 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean Road (weather and wind permitting) will upload to show you guys one of Australia's great natural landmarks.

Reactions: pyrate
Well my camera showed up there last night at 6:45 PM
Order shows fulfilled and a tracking number has been issued for the return trip
that is pretty good turn around time

Have an upcoming trip to south-west Victoria here in Australia and will be trying to get some footage at the 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean Road (weather and wind permitting) will upload to show you guys one of Australia's great natural landmarks.
Be really careful of the helicopters there. They are thick as flies. Technically you are not allowed to fly a drone in that area. I took my drone there with the intent to fly, but it wasn't practical.

James was really helpful answering my questions and thanks to all the crew here for the info and to @erikgraham for his comparison video on this thread.

I'm looking forward to getting some great images. Have an upcoming trip to south-west Victoria here in Australia and will be trying to get some footage at the 12 Apostles along the Great Ocean Road (weather and wind permitting) will upload to show you guys one of Australia's great natural landmarks.
Did you do it, helis and all?

Had some technical issues during the trip with HDMI cable and was flying blind all week.

I did however get some good shots. Couldn't fly at 12 Apostles was absolutely blowing a gale, will upload some footage once I have a chance to go over it and grab the best selects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can fly at 12 Apostles if you notify the heli operators and don't fly during there hours of operation (9am-6pm). Sunrise is your best bet, good light, less wind and no helis.

You can fly at 12 Apostles if you notify the heli operators and don't fly during there hours of operation (9am-6pm). Sunrise is your best bet, good light, less wind and no helis.

Good to know. When I went there it was a total zoo, and early afternoon. Have you posted any clips?

Had some technical issues during the trip with HDMI cable and was flying blind all week.
I did however get some good shots. Couldn't fly at 12 Apostles was absolutely blowing a gale, will upload some footage once I have a chance to go over it and grab the best selects.
Here is some of my Australian footage, from a year ago December (haven't sorted out my 2015 footage yet). It's mixed in with the work we do there.
Just for fun - Awaken Your Impact

I was underwhelmed by the 3.97, especially considering the cost. For less than half the price I think the 3.8mm is very nice.

I was underwhelmed by the 3.97, especially considering the cost. For less than half the price I think the 3.8mm is very nice.
My biggest concern is the sharpness and clarity of still pictures taken with the 3.97mm. Does it make a difference in the megapixels over the stock GoPro lens?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc