GoPro frame cropping...4K vs 1080p and lens sharpness

Zzz

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a few GoPros that I've modded with the Back-bone Ribcage. I did this to my HERO 4 that I use on Solo, and have been running the M12 5.4mm 10MP lens. I bought it from 4Klens.co about a year ago.

Since buying a Mavic Air, I've used my Solo as more of a longer focal length platform, using that 5.4mm, and recently purchased a M12 8mm f/2.5 16MP lens from Edmund Optics for $95. I really like the longer, flatter look. It makes footage stand out against all the wide angle footage out there.

In initial testing I was disappointed, here's why:

The 8mm lens is super sharp in the middle, but the edges were pretty blurry. Edmund Optics shows a whopping 145 lp/mm on-axis (meaning middle of frame) and 125 l/mm full-field meaning around the edges too. That's really sharp, even on the edges.

At f/2.5, focus is going to be super critical with the narrow DOF, so I went back and refocused using my monitor that has focus peaking, and managed to get a little better frame coverage in-focus. But here's where it got wacky. I decided it would be a good idea to test it in 4K Superview. That really exposed the blurriness of the edges! And the edge distortion.

I tested again at 1080p, and wow! Super sharp, minimal distortion.

My question is: It's clear some cropping occurs between 4K Superview and regular 4K, but what about 1080p? Am I right in understanding it's still full sensor but it's captured in 1080p?

Does any correction occur in the GoPro that is disabled by the Superview? Or is it just revealing pure optical distortion at the edges of this lens?

I'll post some sample footage soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela