Reaction score
Hi guys has anyone experience your 3dr solo move around a little bit when left hovering? Mine moves a little to much it doesn't stay hovering on place, I was wondering if there's a solution to It? Thanx guys!

Most times this is related to the amount of vibes getting to the flight controller (PixHawk) creating a stability issue. Here is a suggested mod to reduce the effect... Material of 3/16" to 1/4" seems right from my application of sorbothane. See the linked video for placement of the material.

Duro Sheet (moon gel) Mod

Also if you are "toilet bowling", you can do a level calibration to solve. Best done outside on a very level surface. Compass calibration is also recommended, again outside away from magnetic influences.

Edit: It's a compass issue/error, so perform a compass calibration first and level calibrate for good measure...

Last edited:
Most times this is related to the amount of vibes getting to the flight controller (PixHawk) creating a stability issue. Here is a suggested mod to reduce the effect... Material of 3/16" to 1/4" seems right from my application of sorbothane. See the linked video for placement of the material.

Duro Sheet (moon gel) Mod

Also if you are "toilet bowling", you can do a level calibration to solve. Best done outside on a very level surface. Compass calibration is also recommended, again outside away from magnetic influences.

Thanx Richwest. I definitely have toilet bowling. I did calibrated and still having issues

Mine has always moved despite mod's. Not really bad enough to see on video, but once it's moving the video is smooth.

I always though it should remain stationary as if it were on a tripod, but it ain't so.

Could also be poor GPS lock, doesn't matter if you have 8 sats or 28 sats (well it does because who the heck is getting 28 sats?), If the signal is poor or there's some tall tree's buildings fences people with industrial magnets nearby... you'll get some drift on your drone. The Sorbathane is a help though

Reactions: JerryB
1 - what is "toilet bowling"? 2 - I know Solo will give you a message to perform a compass and/or level calibration when it is required. But does it improve flight to do these calibrations even when not prompted? I have noticed my flight stability varies from time to time...when flying in same location/conditions. I wonder if calibrations would have an impact?

1 - what is "toilet bowling"? 2 - I know Solo will give you a message to perform a compass and/or level calibration when it is required. But does it improve flight to do these calibrations even when not prompted? I have noticed my flight stability varies from time to time...when flying in same location/conditions. I wonder if calibrations would have an impact?
Toilet Bowling - It's when the drone does not stay stationary in a hover, basically moving around in a circle like a floating turd.
Calibration - It's not required, but is a good method when troubleshooting flight problems. You will do it at some point if you reset the drone, might as well do it before that last option is needed. If you've had a crash, flip or rough landing things get jarred.

I calibrate as needed, it's not a pre-flight ritual, just when the flight seems odd. You have to know your bird and what is expected based on prior experience. I have a high performance Solo, only because I maintain it like the finely tuned machine it is...;)

Curious, have you done the sorbo mod? Do you balance props?

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
No to both items. Mine actually flies really good, but sometimes when I have a long fast decent to a sudden stop at about 10 ft. it acts a bit unstable for a bit. I've heard that can be normal.

Mine use to do that, I stopped flying it that way....
Me too. I have developed a few flying habits that I've learned from experience. One of them is what I mentioned...don't suddenly stop at 10ft. The other important one is to always be in MANUAL when I am very close to anything...ground, building, tree, whatever. While my GPS is very solid...I'm not willing to take a chance, because it CAN go out at any time...especially when you are close to anything.

No to both items. Mine actually flies really good, but sometimes when I have a long fast decent to a sudden stop at about 10 ft. it acts a bit unstable for a bit. I've heard that can be normal.
Just be careful with rapid descents when a propeller goes through it's own wash it can end up in a (VRS) Vortex ring state, i.e. if you descend straight down to quickly you can lose lift from the prop sucking too much air through it causing blade stall, adding more throttle usually causes adverse effects and/or crashes. When you descend the Solo do it slowly and do not come straight down if possible slip it to the side, back, forward....etc.. I learned this the hard expensive way.....

Toilet Bowling - It's when the drone does not stay stationary in a hover, basically moving around in a circle like a floating turd.
Calibration - It's not required, but is a good method when troubleshooting flight problems. You will do it at some point if you reset the drone, might as well do it before that last option is needed. If you've had a crash, flip or rough landing things get jarred.

I calibrate as needed, it's not a pre-flight ritual, just when the flight seems odd. You have to know your bird and what is expected based on prior experience. I have a high performance Solo, only because I maintain it like the finely tuned machine it is...;)

Toilet Bowling... floating around like a turd... isn't that more like a mini orbit shot then? (unless you have a funny shaped toilet bowl). So what's it called when you have a bird, it's staying still about 350ft up or so, but there's an action like... it dips in a circular motion. Slightly forward, slightly left forward, slightly left, slightly back left, slightly back, slightly back right, slightly right, slightly right foward and repeat. Doesn't change height, doesn't change position, just kinda oscillates slowly like the top of a spinning top would.

Toilet Bowling... floating around like a turd... isn't that more like a mini orbit shot then? (unless you have a funny shaped toilet bowl). So what's it called when you have a bird, it's staying still about 350ft up or so, but there's an action like... it dips in a circular motion. Slightly forward, slightly left forward, slightly left, slightly back left, slightly back, slightly back right, slightly right, slightly right foward and repeat. Doesn't change height, doesn't change position, just kinda oscillates slowly like the top of a spinning top would.
Yeah, something like that..but I'm fairly certain the term is understood once it is seen. But yeah the bird's heading doesn't change as it circles in a hover.

And I edited my previous posting, it is a compass error.

The turd analogy is based on your perspective...I eat steak and potatoes....

Last edited:
Most likely compass issues. Post a log of this behavior and a more definitive answer could be given to you regarding your problem

Most likely compass issues. Post a log of this behavior and a more definitive answer could be given to you regarding your problem
The problem exists no more, bird is as steady as a rock, but I think I've got some old footage of the issue, I'll try to find it an upload it, wouldn't mind getting a diagnosis either way.

LINK
I did not edit this, that's all I'll say...

1.40 & 2.41 are brief clips, but you can see the effect I'm talking about from the drone. Technically speaking it would be like the turd staying still in the middle of the bowl without changing it's orientation as it's being flushed.... but it's a floater turd so it's not going under... (hey, I'm not the one that came up with this bad example...).

You think that's compass related?

Last edited:
I didn't notice anything at 1:40 and 2:41, but that is a great video. Did you shoot it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig