Gimbal points slightly right

Reaction score
Gimbal works great but insists on pointing to the right a bit...I get leg in the shot quite a bit.
Did software update 1.2 hoping it would fix it but it didn't.
Did compass cal after that and still the same.

Besides calling 3DR, who has resolved this issue, and how did you do it?

Thanks pyrate...did that work for you?
I did a stick cal before 1.2 and it made no difference, and considering that there are no sticks that control gimbal yaw, I'm surprised / can't figure out why this would work.
Same for level cal. As long as I've flown, level cal was just for the FC gyros.There was always a separate gimbal calibration procedure. So maybe they're intermingled but hey, it it works, it works -- I just wish somebody would explain why level and stick cal would work....

Reactions: Projeffrey11
The gimbal does point to the right just slightly from the factory. If you're shooting in wide format, you'll see the legs in certain yaw moves or hard flying. Recommended to shoot video in Medium...

Edit: Incorrectly stated the gimbal offset was purposed based on previous threads on the same and my out of the box experiences. Gimbal does face directly forward presently....:oops:

Last edited:
Thanks Rich...now that you mention it, I think my GP reset to Wide when I had set it at Medium, so that might be part of it.
When you say that from the factory, it's just slightly right, is this documented or discussed anywhere? And if it's symmetric about its long axis, why would it need to be this way?

It was discussed when the Gimbal was released here on the forum, no official reference that I am aware.

Look at the len's offset in the gimbal, more towards the left leg. To compensate there is a need to right orient the camera to center the lens between the two legs. I've never noticed any flight issues when flying towards a centered object, so I assume this is corrected within the FC software

Last edited:
Reactions: z-axis
It was discussed when the Gimbal was released here on the forum, no official reference that I am aware.

Look at the len's offset in the gimbal, more towards the left leg. To compensate there is a need to right orient the camera to center the lens between the two legs. I've never noticed any flight issues when flying towards a centered object, so I assume this is corrected within the FC software
Very interesting. That makes sense. I'll have a look this eve. Thanks!

Mine points straight ahead....always has. Guess mine is defective.

I would check and make sure your HDMI cable has plenty of slack. You have to take the battery tray out to check this. It could be putting tension on the entire gimbal unit. Mine points straight ahead.
There have been a few other posts regarding this and the stick cal. corrected it as well. It will also correct your WiFi if you have disconnects at very short distances...200 - 800 ft.

Thanks pyrate...did that work for you?
I did a stick cal before 1.2 and it made no difference, and considering that there are no sticks that control gimbal yaw, I'm surprised / can't figure out why this would work.
Same for level cal. As long as I've flown, level cal was just for the FC gyros.There was always a separate gimbal calibration procedure. So maybe they're intermingled but hey, it it works, it works -- I just wish somebody would explain why level and stick cal would work....
Truth is the stick calibration is 3DRobotics last resort, in other words that's what they tell you to try when they have no idea what to do to fix what ever is wrong with your Solo over the phone/email. Don't get me wrong though, it has been proven to fix some issues but it's obviously not going to fix everything.

Do you get any leg shots in videos? I've yet to have any show up....

Maybe mine is defective.....
In 4K wide view the legs do come into the shot maneuvering aggressively or in windy situations in my experience.

mine will still sometimes initialize a little off, but once it gets gps lock and in the air it levels out. I really do think gps and level calibrations can impact the solo gimbal more than others because it is required for smart shots. I level calibrate mine about every 10 batteries

Just fired up my bird and @Raybro is correct, my camera points clearly forward now. Not sure when this corrected. My apology for assuming it was the same after so long ago it was discussed....:oops:

I have never performed a stick calibration as I have never had any issues or at least felt there were any issues requiring a cali...

My gimbal has always faced 5-6 degrees to the right. I was waiting for the October update to see if it fixed it, but alas, it has remained unchanged. And it's clearly a defect because it makes keeping a subject centered in an orbit impossible - put the center directly on a feature and Solo will point directly to it - with the camera pointing 5-6 degrees to the right.

I've tried all the usual recommendations - stick, level, compass calibrations, but nothing has changed it. Just haven't had the time to pursue a replacement, and I figure the longer I wait, the more chances are they'll have these issues ironed out of the manufacturing process. Not that I'm planning to wait too much longer.

Okay -- so I'm NOT crazy. It *should* point straight forward, and there are others with this issue of it being 5-6 degrees off center, AND others who had seen this did later see the corrected zero degree position.

I can tell you that I did the cable routing mod and did it with great care, it is ideal. You'd have to put a lot of stress on the gimbal mount to cause it to rotate 5-6 degrees off center, and that would be quite obvious, so that's not the issue here.

Okay -- so I'm NOT crazy. It *should* point straight forward, and there are others with this issue of it being 5-6 degrees off center, AND others who had seen this did later see the corrected zero degree position.

I can tell you that I did the cable routing mod and did it with great care, it is ideal. You'd have to put a lot of stress on the gimbal mount to cause it to rotate 5-6 degrees off center, and that would be quite obvious, so that's not the issue here.

First you have to be crazy to live in Houston...;)

Mine was only 1-2 degrees off, like others when the gimbal was released. Being 5-6 degrees, is well beyond.

Trying to help further, I flipped my bird over and looked at the gimbal's yaw limited ring "V" opening and it appears to bisect the center line of the bird. As another physical reference for centered gimbal installation.

Beyond that I have no answer and will humbly cower in a corner somewhere...keeping my thoughts to myself.

fwiw, I'm on the westside outside the loop near I-10. Would be happy to meet up and compare gimbal installs if that would be of help....

Reactions: z-axis
Hey Rich,
All this info helps. It really does. This is just part of being in their first gen Solo roll out.
Let's compare. I live in the Heights and work in the Galleria area. I can bring my bird tomorrow. I'll switch to PM for details.

My gimbal has always faced 5-6 degrees to the right. I was waiting for the October update to see if it fixed it, but alas, it has remained unchanged. And it's clearly a defect because it makes keeping a subject centered in an orbit impossible - put the center directly on a feature and Solo will point directly to it - with the camera pointing 5-6 degrees to the right.

I've tried all the usual recommendations - stick, level, compass calibrations, but nothing has changed it. Just haven't had the time to pursue a replacement, and I figure the longer I wait, the more chances are they'll have these issues ironed out of the manufacturing process. Not that I'm planning to wait too much longer.
Did this issue ever get resolved for you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc