My Journey Getting the 3dr Solo Back in the Air

Reaction score
I am going to try and record everything I am doing as I try to get my old Solo flying again.
This is meant to just be a place to record and share my experience. I will try to find answers in this forum or ask questions in Solo Help I may also try to put together a guide to help others.

1. Battery
The main issue had been the drone battery not taking a charge and the drone just beeping when powered on. I did a bunch of Googling and Youtube watching and ended up at this video.

Parts
- XT60H connectors Amazon.com
- JST-XH 4S Amazon.com
- Velcro straps Amazon.com
- Battery Amazon.com
- Soldering iron Amazon.com

Over all this seems to have worked. I can now charge the battery with the original charger and it holds a charge for a few minutes. I am hoping that calibrating the battery will give it more flight time.

2. App
I no longer have the original app. I have an Android and based on what I read online it seemed like Solex is the only option so I bought it. Solex - Apps on Google Play

It seems like people have been having issues with it recently though. I wanted to use it to install the latest firmware but got scared by a recent comment in the Play store. Also, it seems like everyone points to Install via Solex App for the instructions on how to do this but this was last updated in 2019. Is this still the process? The whole "green cube" thing confused me for a while but I think What is Green Cube? cleared that up.

3. Camera
I also lost my old GoPro so I bought a used GoPro HERO 4 Silver for $39 off mpb.com
The camera itself works but I can't get it to stream to Solex. There was a message when I first connected the app to the drone about it only working with Open Solo (maybe it said a version) but there was a workaround which I tried that didn't work.

TODO:
1. photos and a video of the battery setup
2. Calibrate battery

Last edited:
Working on battery calibration now.

Thanks, I emailed Kelly about Solex and he pointed me to JB's 3DR Solo Owners Group | Facebook which seems to have a lot of great guides including this one. It seems like the guide expect that you have installed Open Solo before doing the battery calibration, so I may try that first.

Thanks, I emailed Kelly about Solex and he pointed me to JB's 3DR Solo Owners Group | Facebook which seems to have a lot of great guides including this one. It seems like the guide expect that you have installed Open Solo before doing the battery calibration, so I may try that first.
Open Solo 4 vs Stock firmware shouldn't matter regarding battery calibration. But updating it first wouldn't hurt. I see you joined the group. I can answer questions quicker there.

Reactions: chrowe
Firmware update
Following Install via Solex App

I have Solex v2.2.7

Had an issue where the Firmware Updates menu option was not showing up. Stopping the app and restarting seemed to fix that.

The next issue was not seeing the download options:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The fix is setting the default vehicle type to Solo. With that set I can basically always see the firmware update menu option and as long as I am connected to the internet I get the list of downloads.

From there the instructions worked. Just note that the versions have changed. It is now 4.0.0, not dev.
I installed the Copter 4.3.2 version.

Now that I have Open Solo installed the GoPro camera is working!

Last edited:
I need to get my 2 Solos back in the air so I'm glad you are on-line and doing this - haven't flown these birds since April of 2017 - and my old drone controller tablet is shot, so maybe if I can get that running (busted screen) I can see what the WiFi password is for my two birds....that's where I'm stuck now

Level and Compass Calibration
The firmware update instructions point to Post Install Instructions

I went through the Level Calibration first and that worked fine.
There was a message on the controller about needing compass calibration which I ignored as I was going to do that next.

After restarting I had a hard time getting the drone connected to Solex.

I then started the Compass Calibration step but couldn't get it to complete, it just kept failing.
I did basically what this guy does
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and I tried 4 or 5 times.

Also tried resetting the parameters from the Solex Firmware Updates page. no luck

Then someone in JB's 3DR Solo Owners Group | Facebook said to check these params
COMPASS_ORIENT = 38
COMPASS_AUTO_ROT = 0

My COMPASS_AUTO_ROT was 1 so I changed COMPASS_AUTO_ROT to 0 and it calibrated the compass first try!

I need to get my 2 Solos back in the air so I'm glad you are on-line and doing this - haven't flown these birds since April of 2017 - and my old drone controller tablet is shot, so maybe if I can get that running (busted screen) I can see what the WiFi password is for my two birds....that's where I'm stuck now
FOLLOWUP - I was able to get my old, damaged tablet to work with my two Solo's and here was the result: FoltsBurg Elevation Video - 4K-24Sept23

Now I need to find either an older Android 5 tablet, or take the plunge and upgrade to the currrent Solex ver - The Old version of Solex that I had been using on my old Samsung tablet no longer works

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig