Experiences with low cost M8N GPS modules?

I would note - I will upgrade to a HERE system with a mast at some point. Why? Because it's just too tempting not to. It's fun modifying a solo. I'm not gonna lie.
I was thinking this myself, i plan to start designing and printing prototype folding masts made specifically for the solo so it can be folded into a better position for travel. If i find a good way to do so, i will share the design with everyone, and if enough people are interested i can print a few.

Sent from my VS985 4G using 3DRPilots Drone Forum mobile app

I was thinking this myself, i plan to start designing and printing prototype folding masts made specifically for the solo so it can be folded into a better position for travel. If i find a good way to do so, i will share the design with everyone, and if enough people are interested i can print a few.

Sent from my VS985 4G using 3DRPilots Drone Forum mobile app

I know there is at least one on Thingiverse, but we all like variety so give it a shot.

I would note - I will upgrade to a HERE system with a mast at some point. Why? Because it's just too tempting not to. It's fun modifying a solo. I'm not gonna lie.

If the HERE was offered as a plug and play that was a direct fit in the stock housing, I would most likely make the purchase... The current configuration isn't for everyone, but the price is fair...

If the HERE was offered as a plug and play that was a direct fit in the stock housing, I would most likely make the purchase... The current configuration isn't for everyone, but the price is fair...
You can do it. It just won't be plug and play. If you remove the GPS from the here housing, it fits in the Solo's GPS bay. You will just need to get creative to mount it in place securely, and splice the wires. Obviously you would not want to use the here's compass in this configuration, so leave the leg compass in. The designer of the HERE has this configuration in one of his Solos and it works quite nicely.

Considering the plan old HERE you would do this with costs something like $45, it is a no-brainer as to what is better... this mod or a $20 unknown GPS from china.

Reactions: J0S0L0
I plan on doing a HERE with either a very short/stubby mast or direct-mount to the top of the GPS bay cover. I dislike the optics and location of the current masts (too much weight forward of center with gimbal/camera mounted), but I'm not sure how much distance is needed from the mainboard to help mitigate interference and if a flush-mount to the GPS bay cover would even be wise.

I plan on doing a HERE with either a very short/stubby mast or direct-mount to the top of the GPS bay cover. I dislike the optics and location of the current masts (too much weight forward of center with gimbal/camera mounted), but I'm not sure how much distance is needed from the mainboard to help mitigate interference and if a flush-mount to the GPS bay cover would even be wise.

If you make it lower, you will probably need to adjust the positioning a bit to avoid the propellers. Too low or mounting it would probably adversely effect the compass since it puts it directly on top of the battery and high current wiring. You'd be better off sticking with the leg compass at that point. And if you're not going to use the HERE's compass, you might as well just take the GPS out of the HERE housing and mount it under the hood anyway. In doing so you have the best GPS in the sleek mounting.

Please cite these "attacks" you claim we're making. No such thing exists.
Message 12: "They use inferior hardware, inferior assembly and soldering, and inferior child labor. There is little to no quality control. They use stolen and hacked firmware running on stolen and hacked hardware designs."
Message 23: "It's a hacked and stolen piece of crap"
Message 55:"If you're buying from any of those places, you can assume the hardware is an inferior clone, the firmware is stolen and hacked, and any labels on it are fake frauds. That is what they do and always have. You don't actually know what you're buying when you buy these GPS units from them."
Message 58:"If you want to put known inferior and fraudulent parts on it and risk your..."
Message 102:"Nobody knows who made that GPS. Not even the seller. That is a risk you take purchasing cut rate random Chinese owned and manufactured devices. It was manufactured by someone, somewhere, at sometime, using unknown parts from unknown suppliers, with unknown (or no) quality standards, flashed with unknown and possibly hacked or stolen firmware that may or may not be consistent and reliable."

If these aren't attacks, what are they? The results of verifiable testing? The claims of inferior hardware and assembly have no body of verifiable evidence to back them up. Electronic modules and assemblies are almost always built from globally sourced parts - regardless of where they are built. Supply chains change constantly. And, as has already been pointed out, the Solo itself was built in Asia.

If you're an engineer and you hate hearsay so much, you should probably stop using your own hearsay and fiction to defend your point of view.
I'm putting little weight on my experiences alone. What does carry some weight is the increasing amount of positive data and experiences that have been posted in this thread. Lately there has been photographic evidence showing high sat counts and low HDOPS. Unless you believe those photos have been tampered with, I would call them facts - not fiction.

Risk is correlated to a history of performance and failures. I haven't really seen any data (other than the original 3DR units) that would lead me to to deduce that using any of the GPS units we are discussing incurrs a substantially higher level of risk than using any other one. With more data points, such a pattern may emerge. But I don't believe we've see it yet.

Reactions: jca
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^
Again, all this stuff is made in China. Whether your buying it directly from a reseller here, that's a personal decision. Just like if I want to buy a Trump USA hat for 40 bucks from him, or order it from Wal-Mart for 9 bucks, or order it directly from China for 5....

If any of these attack claims are true how are these units openly sold on ebay and Amazon? Any letter indicating stolen goods at all is taken as fact by ebay. They pull the auction and that's it. There have been several famous cases of this where the theft letters turned out to be completely false.

Stating the facts behind a product, whether you like those facts or not, is not an "attack". I am not attacking YOU. I am not attacking ANYONE. I am stating the the facts behind these products for people to make fully informed decisions. Which is what this thread is all about. So get a grip and relax.

If any of these attack claims are true how are these units openly sold on ebay and Amazon? Any letter indicating stolen goods at all is taken as fact by ebay. They pull the auction and that's it. There have been several famous cases of this where the theft letters turned out to be completely false.
because people will buy anything they think is a deal. and yes they will give you more sats lower hdop, but in a clinch they will not perform as well as something engineered for the said purpose

because people will buy anything they think is a deal. and yes they will give you more sats lower hdop, but in a clinch they will not perform as well as something engineered for the said purpose
You didn't answer a single question in my post, same as your buddy.

I've repeatedly addressed the issue. I've posted concise information without ranting emotion. And I'm not lowing myself to your level on this. Facts are facts, like them or not. Get on with life.

The claims of inferior hardware and assembly have no body of verifiable evidence to back them up. Electronic modules and assemblies are almost always built from globally sourced parts - regardless of where they are built. Supply chains change constantly.

Many electronic components and parts end up being discontinuations, overruns, closeouts or overstock at some point in their life cycle...

Funny thread. There isn't any topic about Solo over the past 2 years with so much BS written about like it's GPS.
I recall the buzz when first people started to implement m8n boards 2 years ago to overcome the limitations of Solo's single band GPS receiver. So called "experts" were claiming things like "Lower accuracy of Glonass, inceased noise sensitivity of multi band antennas, poor PCB design and so on as reasons to prevent Solo pilots from upgrading. All BS as we know today.

While you shouldn't purchase and use fake chipsets (the ublox website gives guidance how to recognize counterfeit chips), there is no technical reason why a low cost m8n unit from Amazon or the like won't perform inside Solo as long as you have the right shielding measures in place.

Reactions: KDan
Guys fly what you want to fly
I wont put that crap on my birds but owning a solo means you get to do with it what you want.
But you will never convince people they are as good as the Here.
Well you will convince some people, some of the time

My el-cheapo GPS was delivered by Amazon yesterday, along with 2 mikrotek WiFi cars and 3dr GPS shield v2... I'll post results sometime this weekend!

Last edited:
Well, I successfully got the mikrotek wifi cards installed in both the drone and remote ( w/ alpha antennas first test flight was 8600ft over lake Washington - took off at magnason park and completely crossed the lake with crystal clear video the whole way. Still had some signal/solo did not loose connection. Keep in mind this is in Seattle with heavy wifi congestion. I've flown my solo w/ alpha antennas approximate that far one other time but it was out in the boonies from an elevated position over water with clear line of sight the whole way. I don't mean to thread cap, however my initial impressions of the wifi upgrade is that it's fantastic!)

Regarding the bn800 gps, I pulled a double noob move... and have not got it installed.

1. When cutting the 3dr solo gps cable (I had spare from wrecked solo), I cut the cables flush to one connector. I should have cut the cable in the middle and thus had two usable endsto install another gps in another solo, or in case you jacked up one plug like I did....

2. While stripping the brown wire on solo cable, I accidently pulled it out of the plug..I tried reinserting and, well it didn'twork.

Anyway I ordered some wire and a molex plug from digi key tobuild a new cable...so gps results will have to wait.

Question, is anyone still selling a m8n to solo cable?

I saw on here that someone was, but they are not anymore.

Even with the stuff I ordered, I'm going to have to splice the gps harness to the new wires... is there a plug I can order for the gps side of the cable (it that makes sense) to make the install thatmuch Cleaner?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl