Experiences with low cost M8N GPS modules?

Finally got my low cost GPS installed. The ground test results look really good..

As far as wiring, I decided to splice into the factory cable. Works just fine, no issues..GPS Cable Mod.jpg

$19 delivered USA seller Ublox NEO-M8N GPS Module with Compass for APM2.6 APM2.8 Pixhawk PX4 Flight In US | eBay
Right out of the gate this is the best of the ones I got, all $30 and under. In less than 60 seconds it got 10 satellites. That is in a new location(new install) under a heavy tree canopy!
red-red
black-black
yellow-yellow
solo brown- GPS white

This install did have two ferrite rings unlike the others, which had one.
I have one of these coming Monday. I have to hook up the compass also as I have a bad leg compass. You wouldn't know the colors on that would you? Thanks.

About a week ago I installed a BN-800 GPS in my backup Solo. I thought that for under $18 it was worth experimenting with. I had hoped to get one of the V2 GPS shields from the 3DR store, but it seems they aren't available now. I ended up reusing the original one.
I also created a design for a 3D printed mounting bracket (uploaded to Thingiverse).
Someone else has a generic GPS mounting bracket for the Solo on Thingiverse, but it moves the GPS lower behind the battery, which can't be a good thing. My bracket keeps the GPS module at the same height and slightly more forward.

I've noticed that some other people have installed this GPS (or the seemingly identical RTFQ Mini8) in their Solos and have reported mostly good results.
I did not update the firmware or any settings in the GPS. I just spliced the new wiring harness into the original one. After about a half-dozen flights, my impression is also mostly good.
It definitely acquires satellites quickly, but seems to need a few more of them before Solo is happy with the HDOP and gives a ready for takeoff. It easily gets 12-14 on the ground, and then increases to around 20 in the air. It occasionally gets 21. The HDOP values peak at around 0.6 to 0.7.
Compared to the original REV B, it gets at least 6 more satellites. (most ever seen was 15 on REV B). The best HDOP on the REV B was 0.7, so not a big improvement there...
One thing I have noticed with the new GPS is that it seems to drift a bit more over time. Not an enormous amount, but perhaps 10 feet or so. The original REV B was usually only a few feet.

I'm curious what experiences other people may have had with these inexpensive GPS's - especially the RTFQ Mini8. Did you reflash the firmware or change any of the stock settings?

Yes, I know the mRobotics GPS is better, but it's also 4x the price of the BN800.
Kudos to you for taking up the initiative. I can see you got quite a bit of flack from the Veterans who have valid points and concerns. I have a mRo on one of my solo, will slap a BN800 on the second one soon. I am all up for exploring the possibilities and options. Keep it up bro !

Reactions: KDan
Kudos to you for taking up the initiative. I can see you got quite a bit of flack from the Veterans who have valid points and concerns. I have a mRo on one of my solo, will slap a BN800 on the second one soon. I am all up for exploring the possibilities and options. Keep it up bro !

Thanks, I have refrained from posting anything additional to this thread for quite sometime due the attacks. I have no skin in this game, other than the fact that I have the Banggood $17 BN-800's installed in both of my Solos and they work MUCH better than my stock REV B units. That is a fact from my perspective.
The other alleged "facts" - the claim that cheap BN-800's from a variety of low-cost vendors are stolen, or hacks, or (pick you derogatory adjective) are meaningless to me.
Also, the claim that any particular supplier provides a product of unknown quality is equally meaningless until a sufficient body of REAL evidence is clearly available to validate that claim.

At the beginning of the thread I acknowledged that the mRo (and potentially other after-market units) were probably better. I never disputed that likely-hood. However, the BN-800 (and the relabeled unit sold by RTFQ) are clearly demonstrating that they are a significant upgrade to the stock 3DR GPS's. That's been good enough for me. If for some reason a person doesn't feel comfortable buying a BN-800, then by all means they should not.
I believe your point about having an open mind to explore other possibilities is a good thing, but it obviously doesn't sit well with certain personality types. That is perfectly fine as well.

Thanks, I have refrained from posting anything additional to this thread for quite sometime due the attacks. I have no skin in this game, other than the fact that I have the Banggood $17 BN-800's installed in both of my Solos and they work MUCH better than my stock REV B units. That is a fact from my perspective.
The other alleged "facts" - the claim that cheap BN-800's from a variety of low-cost vendors are stolen, or hacks, or (pick you derogatory adjective) are meaningless to me.
Also, the claim that any particular supplier provides a product of unknown quality is equally meaningless until a sufficient body of REAL evidence is clearly available to validate that claim.

At the beginning of the thread I acknowledged that the mRo (and potentially other after-market units) were probably better. I never disputed that likely-hood. However, the BN-800 (and the relabeled unit sold by RTFQ) are clearly demonstrating that they are a significant upgrade to the stock 3DR GPS's. That's been good enough for me. If for some reason a person doesn't feel comfortable buying a BN-800, then by all means they should not.
I believe your point about having an open mind to explore other possibilities is a good thing, but it obviously doesn't sit well with certain personality types. That is perfectly fine as well.

Oh I believe you bro ! From my point of you what you did is innovation at its simplest - find a cheaper alternative to offer similar performance. I work for a Product Development Engineering firm and know what I am talking about.

And you know what they say about opinions right ! They are like a******s, everybody's got one, and they stink.

Anyway ! keep posting if you find better stuff.

Reactions: KDan

And I just finished printing the Gimbal holder you posted on Thingiverse, didn't know it was your design. lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170812_1433402.jpg
    IMG_20170812_1433402.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 54
And I just finished printing the Gimbal holder you posted on Thingiverse, didn't know it was your design. lol

Yea, it's just a remix/modification of some earlier designs that have been around for awhile. Tried to make it fit better with a Hero 4 Black (no weights). Hope it works for you.

After installing the BN-800 gps, I was getting a little interference. I pulled it back apart, adjusted the shield, sealed up the extra connecter with electrical tape, and sealed up the shield where the wiring comes out with electrical tape. Not sure of the exact problem..

After getting things all buttoned up, I'm getting excellent results, stable and hovers with precision. The home test landed the bird within 4 feet of the original take off spot...

It's a good low cost option to improve your Solo...Solo ScreenShot.jpg

Reactions: jca and KDan
The Here GPS mount I made doesn't extend, but it is just held on with Velcro. I lay it down in the battery tray when transporting this Solo in the backpack. I made it high enough to get above the prop arc but not so tall that it wobbles around.
021dd211d44c4c35c5e8cba60a862258.jpg
Hey Andrew, what did you make this out of? I was thinking of maybe using a pill bottle. I may buy a boom if that doesn't work though.

Last edited:
I installed the BN-800 on my #2 Solo. Replaced the Rev A. So far so good. Three heavy test days. Only lost GPS once on the first day but it may have been a accidental pushing of the A button as I was trying to catch the Solo in the air.

No other issues after that day. Did a lot of manual flight practice just to be safe but so far no need.

I flew a lot of cable cam programmed multi-point tests. Hover tests. Did a follow me test with Solo low abouT 8-10 feet AGL about 5-15 in front of me on a bicycle. Used 3 batteries on followme tests. Solid locks. 15plus Sats. 1 - .5 HDOP

So I'm pretty impressed. Seems much more stable and precise in cable cam mode. Hover is really tight. Unless I get ground effects blow back from low Alt testing.

Can't say if it's better to than MRO or HERE I can say it's better than Rev A

I got the low cost version because I saw a lot of discrepancies in feedback about upgrades helping or not helping. So I figured for $19 it was worth trying to see if GPS upgrade would actually help. To be honest the Rev A does allow me to shoot what I need but does drift quite a bit on cable cam. I shoot narrative mostly so I want to hit marks to film actors in action scenarios or artistic camera moves.

I will upgrade #1 Solo soon.

Reactions: jca
hard not to improve on the A, just about anything will perform better.
But no, nothing is going to touch the here. not even the MRO

Does the HERE require changing settings in the SOLO? I don't have a PC or android devices so I can't use Solex or any of the software that changes parameters. So if I got a HERE for copter #1 would it require changes or just plug it in like the cheap GPS?

Got the eBay special installed today. Getting 17 satellites from an upstairs bedroom. Biggest problem was the compass. Two things, to change 38 to 0, like you do with the here in mission planner, be sure to change layout to advanced in planner tab or you won't see the advanced parameters. Second, the blue from the compass goes to the white from the solo and the green from the compass goes to the blue from the solo. Got that wrong at first...
063767bf6ad609f1cffd4a9aed6bf8eb.jpg

Last edited:
Does the HERE require changing settings in the SOLO? I don't have a PC or android devices so I can't use Solex or any of the software that changes parameters. So if I got a HERE for copter #1 would it require changes or just plug it in like the cheap GPS?
Yes it does, unless you don't use compass in here and stick with leg compass.

Hello All! Sorry, but my english is not good and sometime I use google translater.

Just installed GPS BN-800. Mounted with KDan bracket. First fly locked 18 sats HDOP 0.7 <--> 0.6. For EMI shield I'm use copper sheet (bougtht for about 1$ in local radio market) with insulating tape and additional shield in battery wall (thanks to cybersat )
Thanks to KDan and to everyone who participated in the discussion.
Solo is my first drone and it's very cool! )))

Attachments

• IMG_20170816_003001[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20170816_003106[1].jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20170816_003854[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20170816_015245[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20170816_185628[1].jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: skyhax
For those with 3D printers the Here folding GPS mast is available on Thingyverse, it can easily be adapted to hold any type of GPS receiver and it folds down nicely and fits in my back pack with a little foam removal.

Here mast mod by blobby2012

I now have the Here GPS installed on my Solo but prior to that I did use the BN-800 with great success and never had a singe issue with it locking 19 to 20 Sats every time very quickly. I have to admit the Here is very nice and the LED visual feedback is nice and it has a very good compass (actually two I believe) but if on a budget the BN-800 is a great addition to your Solo.

Here is a link to my video install of the BN-800 onmy Solo:-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bill

Reactions: Undert3k and jca

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela