Experiences with low cost M8N GPS modules?

I did this BN-800 GPS mod from Bangood, it locks on 18-20 sats with hdop of 0.6 along with the 3dr v2 shield and it wanders around 8-10 feet just hovering.. i will test again tomorrow.. then i will swap a rev-b unit in and compare.. none of my others with v1 orv2 or mro wander like this? i also have a 2nd BN-800 comming from bangood to compare..

I had my home position drift about 10 feet when I first flew with the BN-800. It didn't appear to drift much when just hovering though. On later flights, the home position seemed to drift somewhat less. It has never appeared to wander more than a few feet in a hover - I'd say the position stability is roughly equal to my original REV B units. Longer term wander (from takeoff to landing) might be greater.

That is interesting. It seems like people are getting mixed results with the REV B units. I usually see 12-14 satellites with mine and once saw 15. I think that a lot depends on the position of the satellites at the time you are flying. It can change some over the length of a flight, but can change a lot more over hours or days.
Did you cut the EMI absorbing material in a shape to duplicate the size and position of the original shield? Be sure you are not blocking parts of the GPS antenna's view of the sky. How did the REV B work with the original copper shielding?
Original copper shielding so bad it wouldn't fly. I cut one and stuck the other two in as is.

Very happy with this one. Attached it out of the box no setup. Put a 3"x6" piece of copper tape over it. After an hour in the rain (with a bin over it) it has 15 Satellites. 14 is the most I ever got at this location with REV A(3) and REV B(1).
$23
Amazon.com: Goolsky Ublox NEO-M8N BN-800 GPS Dual Module Built-in Active GPS Antenna Support GPS GLONASS BeiDou for Pixhawk APM Flight Controller: Toys & Games
From this web site 3DR Solo GPS/GNSS NEO M8N upgrade – Madhacker.org
print out from solo gps cable
Red=VCC
Black=GND
Yellow to TX
Brown to RX

my finished cable in picture
red-red
black-black
yellow-yellow
brown solo lead- grey gps lead

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Reactions: jca and AOtarolaR
the 2 BN-800 units i recently got from bangood had v3.01

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 66
Reactions: skyhax
the 2 BN-800 units i recently got from bangood had v3.01

That's good to know. Did you change any of the settings in u-center?

I believe the banggood BN-800 is exactly the same unit as the Ready to Fly Quads Mini M8N which sells for almost double the price.

The $23 one from Amazon runs rings around the readytoflyquads unit (16 sats very fast). It also seems to use 1/10 the power. The readytoflyquads unit kills a battery in about 1 hour just sitting. The amazon one is only down 20% after an hour. This is both plug and play with no tweaking.

The $23 one from Amazon runs rings around the readytoflyquads unit (16 sats very fast). It also seems to use 1/10 the power. The readytoflyquads unit kills a battery in about 1 hour just sitting. The amazon one is only down 20% after an hour. This is both plug and play with no tweaking.

In order to discharge the battery in one hour, something would have to be drawing close to 5 amps. Highly unlikely the GPS has anything to do with that. I doubt the onboard 5v regulator supplying the GPS can handle anywhere near that much current. Sounds fishy.

No, I made no changes to any of them, just looked at firmware..
Im pretty sure that all 3 of these, #1.bangood $17, #2.amazon $23 and #3 RTF quads $30 are all the same unit..
I just received my second $17 bangood unit and will test it later tonight.

The readyflyquads $30 GPS has taken the lead with 18 SAT. Using 3- 2x2 3M mats for a total of $13 3M 5-AB5050-2S Black Acrylic Adhesive EMI Absorber, 2" Squares (Pack of 5): Amazon.com: Home Improvement
That is 8 more SAT than a REV B unit ever got in the same yard (using copper tape).

This is a YMMV situation. The maximum I got with a REV B was 15 satellites. With a BN800 I have gotten 23.
Also, the BN800 can be purchased from Bangood for under $18 including shipping, and around $21 on Amazon. The BN800 is the same GPS as the ReadytoFlyQuads Mini-8 GPS. RTFQ just puts their own label on it and sells it for $30.

Assuming the ones you buy from eBay, Amazon, Banggood, Ali, etc are the same as a known real product from a reputable vendor is not wise. If you're buying from any of those places, you can assume the hardware is an inferior clone, the firmware is stolen and hacked, and any labels on it are fake frauds. That is what they do and always have. You don't actually know what you're buying when you buy these GPS units from them. And they provide no support.

A real, non hacked, non fraudulent, not scam of a GPS from a reputable vendor is $30 to $50. If you're such a cheapskate that you're willing to sacrifice $1000 worth of aircraft and accessories to save $10, you deserve whatever you may or may not get from it.

Reactions: 5r49cfu and Stealth
Assuming the ones you buy from eBay, Amazon, Banggood, Ali, etc are the same as a known real product from a reputable vendor is not wise. If you're buying from any of those places, you can assume the hardware is an inferior clone, the firmware is stolen and hacked, and any labels on it are fake frauds. That is what they do and always have. You don't actually know what you're buying when you buy these GPS units from them. And they provide no support.

A real, non hacked, non fraudulent, not scam of a GPS from a reputable vendor is $30 to $50. If you're such a cheapskate that you're willing to sacrifice $1000 worth of aircraft and accessories to save $10, you deserve whatever you may or may not get from it.

For me, the whole point of the thread was to poll others for their experiences with these inexpensive GPS units. I was hoping to look at the comments and experiences with an open mind - with no bias. If there was a pattern of performance issues or other flaws I wanted to see how widespread it was.
Performance and reliability are really the only relevant factors here. If these GPS's are truly inferior, then a pattern proving that fact should emerge.

I would say that support is a non-issue for most buyers. Hooking up a GPS isn't that complicated. Most of the people who would consider doing so are probably tech-savvy enough to correctly splice some wires.

I understand supporting people who may be sponsors, friends, or those who have put considerable effort into creating a product for the Solo. Their product may be very good - but that doesn't automatically make it the best value for everyone.

Also, not all of us paid $1000 for our Solos. Some of us got them very cheap - perhaps it was only a parts machine that we paid $60 to $70 for and got it flying pretty easily. Paying that much again just for an upgrade GPS module isn't a very attractive option.

Lets face it, the Solo is an obsolete piece of hardware as far as the market is concerned. It's only worth - at best - the current replacement cost. That price has decreased dramatically and continues to drop. Coming from the DIY drones community, I was only interested in it when the bottom dropped out of the price. I saw it (and still see it) as a bargain priced platform for experimentation that is cheaper than something I could build from scratch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elvis and jca
Lets face it, the Solo is an obsolete piece of hardware as far as the market is concerned. It's only worth - at best - the current replacement cost. That price has decreased dramatically and continues to drop. Coming from the DIY drones community, I was only interested in it when the bottom dropped out of the price. I saw it (and still see it) as a bargain priced platform for experimentation that is cheaper than something I could build from scratch.

Market perception and value are irrelevant too me when it comes to getting the shot. My 2 year old Solo is simply light years ahead of anything DJI or Yuneec can offer when it comes to autonomous modes. Autonomous modes are dependent on GPS performance so I have an mRo unit.

My Solo tracks me like a hound dog less than a foot off the ground or 1/2 mile out and gets the shot. My $1,200 P4 which the market holds in such high regard is a autonomous disaster, it can barley hold GPS lock.

DJI's new firmware for the P4 is a mess rendering my P4 almost dangerous in any GPS guided mode. So dropping $80 for a properly engineered drop in Solo GPS unit was an easy decision for me.

Reactions: Stealth
You can justify it to yourself however you want. It's your aircraft. If you want to put known inferior and fraudulent parts on it and risk your money, your aircraft, and your camera to save $10, it's your money and time to ruin. Hopefully it doesn't cause anyone else personal or property damage in the process, which will likely cost more than the $10 you saved.

Dan, having read through the thread, your commentary is based on RevB and a banggood module. Any counter statement has been from known tested and improved modules referenced, mRo or Here modules. Cost aside, you know there are risks associated with after market parts of questionable origin. You understand these risks, but others listening are less aware. The why for others to counter your assertions.

This conversation, as a whole, is similar to discussing the economic advantages of buying a used car and using cheap after market or used parts to keep it running. In the end we know the used car has a limited expected life and any parts replaced are just a band-aid to buy more driving time on the cheap. I get the logic and economics for this approach, but fully understand it is not without risks or issues....

YMMV is a valid within this discussion....Peace.

Dan, having read through the thread, your commentary is based on RevB and a banggood module. Any counter statement has been from known tested and improved modules referenced, mRo or Here modules. Cost aside, you know there are risks associated with after market parts of questionable origin. You understand these risks, but others listening are less aware. The why for others to counter your assertions.

This conversation, as a whole, is similar to discussing the economic advantages of buying a used car and using cheap after market or used parts to keep it running. In the end we know the used car has a limited expected life and any parts replaced are just a band-aid to buy more driving time on the cheap. I get the logic and economics for this approach, but fully understand it is not without risks or issues....

YMMV is a valid within this discussion....Peace.

The thing that puzzles me is the description of the Beitian BN800 in such a derogatory manner. It has been called inferior, a fraud, a fake, a hack, and a scam. But where is the evidence to backup these claims? The idea of the thread was to find out if those criticisms based upon fact, or ... something else.
It they are in fact as bad as some of the criticism claims, I'd like to hear more convincing evidence. That was the idea... what are actual user experiences with them? So far I've heard much more positive comments from real users than anything negative. My experiences continue to be positive also. I've now replaced the REV B in my second Solo with a BN800 and the performance is again dramatically improved.
Is it as good as an mRo GPS? Probably not. But from where I sit it is much better than the stock GPS and likely much closer to the mRo than the original GPS in performance. As for the price difference it's a LOT more than $10. The BN800 is under $18, while the mRo is $80. Less than 1/4 the price. More than a $60 difference.
Just because something is cheap doesn't necessarily mean it is junk. I suspect the main reason why the specialty M8N GPS's for the Solo are so expensive is because of the low production volume. The BN800 is a more generic design that is produced in greater quantities. I'm sure that accounts for much of the price difference.

I saw much the same kind of attitude when i first got into electric RC many years ago. Early on a company called Castle Creations (a US company) got the jump into the ESC (speed controller) market. They soon had competition from Chinese manufacturers, but all of them were labeled junk and crap at first. But then, over time, people realized that the Chinese stuff (HobbyWing, etc) was actually pretty good and that they were actually just paying for a US brand name... That put the pressure on Castle Creations and they were forced to drastically lower their prices or go out of business.

The same kind of story happened with LiPo flight batteries. At first it was PolyQuest and Thunderpower which were VERY
expensive. Then HobbyKing came on the market with Chinese made Liops at a small fraction of the price. For several years the same thing went on with Thunderpower, etc owners constantly attacking people using batteries from HobbyKing. Telling them their airplanes were going to burst into flames in flight and set everything on fire. It didn't happen. Today, almost all you see are Turnigy and Zippy FlightMax and similar Chinese made batteries in most Electric RC aircraft. People learn where the value is over time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela