Experiences with low cost M8N GPS modules?

I agree with your assessment of the location of the stock Solo GPS receiver. FWIW, I went the route of installing two mRo GNSS receivers in impconcepts masts. And an earlier Drotek GNSS receiver in an impconcepts mast. A bit of DIY drilling and cable extension work, but all three work very well, given the local trees, buildings, hills and other location attributes. For reference in the field (or just outside) I check the GPS Plan app on my iPhone to see which satellites are possible for the GNSS receiver to lock to at my current location (and assuming a flat, uncluttered landscape which it almost never is on my jobs), and as allowed by the elevation mask setting. The most sats I have seen locked to-date is 28, but that is rare. On the app, the two views I use are the bird's eye view of the globe, then I swipe to see the optimal time of day to launch. Nifty to see the change from hour to hour in forecasted DOP values based on which satellites are visible. I tried one of the cheap GNSS products, but I'd rather not take the risk on a paying job.
Is this Drotec you mentioned?

Ublox NEO-M8 GPS breakout board

Can it be placed instead stock Gps without other moding except wire splicing?
I'm in Europe so this is fastest and one of the cheapest option for me

I think yes. But a few month ago I bought from Tom Top and don't have any problems with it. If not urgently, then you can buy it, because the delivery to Europe from China will be about a month

Here you go for the Drotek:
Get the Maximum out of Your 3DR Solo GPS - Hackster.io
28 sats was the maximum I received so far, average is 22-24.
Always remember- a GPS on a mast is just a workaround for poor shielding. Dump the original copper foil and replace it by either the 3DR V2 shield or the special EMI protection foil from 3M (sold by eg mro)

Yes, that is the Drotek product that I used. You will need to file one or two of the mounting holes to fit a Solo. Instructions are >here<.

Reactions: novi81
@John Githens
Thank you for info. I'm in Europe so Drotec is faster to deliver and cheaper to ship than Mro.
As much as I can see hardware is very similar to Mro except conector. But that is easy work on cables with solder. I guess I can benefit from Galileo and Glonass in Europe. I'll try to find more info about drotec, Mro and be-800 and decide

Last edited:
I just replaced my 3dr rev b gps with a Neo-M8N gps, it gets no more satellites then my rev b and slower. Do parameters need to be changed to access other types of satellites?

I just replaced my 3dr rev b gps with a Neo-M8N gps, it gets no more satellites then my rev b and slower. Do parameters need to be changed to access other types of satellites?

The almanac needs to update. It will take longer the first time and get fewer satellites initially. Also, did you install or replace any shielding? RF noise could be holding you back.

Not enough information, eliminating rf interference with better gps shielding will definitely bump up you satellite count..

Not enough information, eliminating rf interference with better gps shielding will definitely bump up you satellite count..

The original rev b rubberised shielding was re-installed over the gps, I tried start up 3 times, 15 minutes each on my deck at home, one direction blocked by my house. The results were the same as the rev b, hdop .9, satellites 12. I have not been able to test in a open field or in the air yet.

The original rev b rubberised shielding was re-installed over the gps, I tried start up 3 times, 15 minutes each on my deck at home, one direction blocked by my house. The results were the same as the rev b, hdop .9, satellites 12. I have not been able to test in a open field or in the air yet.
Get rid of the shit copper shielding and get some real RF shielding and try that.

Let us know how the open field test goes..

Post a link to the gps you purchased....

Depending on which M8N GPS you bought, it may need to be reconfigured to receive other satellite constellations. Can you hook it up to u-blox u-center and check it? Go to section 9.6 (page 62) of the u-center users guide for more info. Make sure GLONASS is enabled.

I'm considering this unit as replacement for rev A in my Solo. Judging by on site reviews couple of people already done that.

Ublox NEO-M8N BN-800 GPS Module Support GPS GLONASS BeiDou For Pixhawk APM

Yes, several of us have had good luck with it. I even made a 3D printed mounting bracket for it. J0S0L0 went so far as to transplant a Taoglas antenna from a Rev B onto his. I just ordered a couple of antennas from DigiKey that I plan to transplant onto mine which should yield a small increase in sensitivity. None of that is really necessary however, it works great right out of the box.

BTW - that same GPS can be purchased from ReadytoFlyQuads on sale right now for $17.

Reactions: J0S0L0
[QUOTE="Go to section 9.6 (page 62) of the u-center users guide for more info. Make sure GLONASS is enabled.[/QUOTE]

My users guide only goes to section 9.3 and only 30 pages. Can you give a link to the guide you're using? Thanks.

I'm considering this unit as replacement for rev A in my Solo. Judging by on site reviews couple of people already done that.

Worked very well for me while I had it installed in my Solo here is my installation video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Merry Christmas every one.

Reactions: Wetstone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc