By to my Solo. Getting KARMA

Hanging out here and trying to convince people mine is better than yours is a bit pathological
No one here is saying Karma is better than Solo. Seriously, you need to either marry your solo or seek therapy. You are way too attached. We are here as a group of pilots discussing things happening in the market. Who here said "Karma is better" or is trolling. You sir have to have a glass of whisky and switch from breifs to boxers.

Reactions: Crisp Rice
and you mr 32 posts of pure wisdom and hours of contribution here just earned your way onto my ignore list

I agree. So far, the gimbal looks rocks solid

Seemed to be bob'ing at 1:29...in The Verge video.

Ok so GP bought somebody's frame design, I remember seeing these folding arms somewhere. Google search turns up nothing but mavic and karma. Doesn't mater now...

I don't like the gimbal and then I do like the gimbal. I think it will have in-flight issues, from the cantilevered gimbal mount. Whereas the hand held will rock in sales.

Time will tell, but they seemed to have all the bases covered as to warranty, parts and premium care. It truly is a money machine, it will do well for both the consumers and the investors. GoPro will be the hottest item under the tree...this year and next.

Now having said that, I'm good with Solo. It is the best available RTF drone in my opinion.....The most hackable RTF drone every produced and will have a cult following in the future. Just needs the software to be solidified, which is hopefully coming.

...(drops microphone)

only time will tell. The karma is lighter than solo and the battery are about the same ( what is it 5200 for solo and 5100 for karma at 14.8V) so thinking the karma will have more air time than solo. I want to see how third party development or dyi will happen to karma.

Well I'm not so sure about that. According to the weight specs, Karma is a tad heavier than Solo by 69 grams or 2.43 ounces (US) when using the Hero4 Black. Regarding actual flight time for Karma ...time will tell.

GoPro Karma 1.869kg
Karma Drone ... 1.006kg, Karma Battery ... 0.545kg, Karma Stabiliser (gimbal only) ... 0.230kg, Hero4 Black ... 0.088kg

3DR Solo 1.800kg
3DR Solo ... 1 000kg, Solo Battery ... 0.500kg, Solo Gimbal ... 0.212kg, Hero4 Black ... 0.088kg

Last edited:
wow karma is heavy for its size
I was assuming the 1kg figure included the stabilizer...at least the gimbal is made of metal?

Pretty simple guys, you have a shiny new toy
the owners of this forum have even set you up a fun new place to go and support one another and be a community
you don't have to be like the DJI trolls and hangout in another user forum and drone on and on about how its better
just go there and hang out with like people and enjoy

I think Gopro nailed their launch, it looks like the even researched and designed a product for their customers. Kudos
Its not a solo, and I prefer my two year old gopro platform. It works for me.

Still I have no problem if people want to dump their solo and head on over.
Just for crying out loud do that.
Hanging out here and trying to convince people mine is better than yours is a bit pathological
I would not put the Karma or even hate to say it the P4 up here with solo based on what they have done the last year it separates itself but its more the future of 3DR that concerns me. That is just me I may be wrong but the karma looks like a great go pro drone for people into action sports never used one obviously because it just came out but if it has follow me or obstacle avoidance its still will not give you the detail that solo gives thats why as a filmmaker I love solo.

I would not put the Karma or even hate to say it the P4 up here with solo based on what they have done the last year it separates itself but its more the future of 3DR that concerns me. That is just me I may be wrong but the karma looks like a great go pro drone for people into action sports never used one obviously because it just came out but if it has follow me or obstacle avoidance its still will not give you the detail that solo gives thats why as a filmmaker I love solo.
The Karma can do smart shots but your still limited to what your using its also half the weight. I have flown Solo at very windy beach days and no problem where as this looks like there could be some problems i think its more or less what your trying to do to.

I think at first glance GoPro have done a nice job with the Karma, we just need to see some real experienced user reviews. The main issue is the NFZs and the fact for now at least even GoPro can't override them so even professional pilots are grounded close to an NFZ.

I think the software on Karma will improve and end up offering most of what Solo does with the exception of mapping.

I think at first glance GoPro have done a nice job with the Karma, we just need to see some real experienced user reviews. The main issue is the NFZs and the fact for now at least even GoPro can't override them so even professional pilots are grounded close to an NFZ.

I think the software on Karma will improve and end up offering most of what Solo does with the exception of mapping.
Do you believe the Karma has the required processor needed for the MPCC type shots? I haven't seen anything yet other than using a PX4.

Well I'm not so sure about that. According to the weight specs, Karma is a tad heavier than Solo by 69 grams or 2.43 ounces (US) when using the Hero4 Black. Regarding actual flight time for Karma ...time will tell.

GoPro Karma 1.869kg
Karma Drone ... 1.006kg, Karma Battery ... 0.545kg, Karma Stabiliser (gimbal only) ... 0.230kg, Hero4 Black ... 0.088kg

3DR Solo 1.800kg
3DR Solo ... 1 000kg, Solo Battery ... 0.500kg, Solo Gimbal ... 0.212kg, Hero4 Black ... 0.088kg

oh wow didn't expect the karma to be that much weight. Hopefully it is 20min for flight time because everyone whos going to buy it is going to fly with a gopro. Woulnd be right for them to advertise 20min flight without a gopro as this product is made for a gopro camera

I haven't seen anything published about no fly zones on the Karma. I also haven't gone looking. What's the scoop on that?

Do you believe the Karma has the required processor needed for the MPCC type shots? I haven't seen anything yet other than using a PX4.
It already has cablecam, adding extra points doesn't require more CPU.

I haven't seen anything published about no fly zones on the Karma. I also haven't gone looking. What's the scoop on that?
It's on their Karma support forum if you're on Facebook the same admin crew from the Solo page have started a Karma page too, given it seemed logical as we all have GoPros so we're making an effort to post as much detailed information as we can find.

plot twist: karma using updated dual ARM chips found in the Solo...wouldn't surprise me if true.

does that mean like some Phantom once you're in a NFZ the Karma can't take off? No overrides even in manual mode?

I had exactly same thoughts, I think we need @franknitty69 to give us his opinion :)

If I was buying my first drone today and Solo didn't exist, I would probably get Karma, but as it is, getting Solo for $499 or $599 (as quite often available these days) is a better deal. I would still choose Solo even if they cost same (I already own Feiyutech handheld).

I know there are situations when I could use Karma, when I go for one or two day hike I don't want to carry more than 1 backpack, Karma backpack would fit inside my F-stop backpack along with other photography gear, water, food, sleeping bag and mat. I can't do that with Solo and this is a scenario when I would rather take less capable but more compact drone with me.
Maybe 12 months from now if Karma smart shots are more mature/capable and the price drops to around $500, I may get one just for the portability reason.

Somehow I don't see how in next 12 months (if not longer) some other manufacturer could replicate what 3DR have done with Solo in terms of cinematic moves and smart shots. It's hard to explain or to argue with someone who doesn't understand the difference, doesn't know how to fully use Solo, doesn't care or has no need for Solo specific smooth/seemless motion combination of the camera+drone.

I've been on the road now with Solo for 6 months and while I already have brand new Solo waiting for me back at home, I'm still flying the original one, I feel it's already over-serving, it's done its job 10 times over considering total hours in the air and often in very harsh environments, I'm taking more risks now and haven't used "pause" button in months and I no longer abort cable cam when I'm not sure. Had a lot of crashes but it's still flying. I'm on third gimbal but didn't break the GoPro yet.
I think if I was flying Karma for 6 months the same way, I would be down by 10 gimbals and 10 GoPros at least (or is it just me thinking that the placement of GoPro on Karma is not really safe ?)

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado