By to my Solo. Getting KARMA

Everything is a tradeoff. You can make it lighter, which will give extended range given the same power source in windless conditions but at the expense of being blown around if it is windy. But if there is wind, it would drain the battery faster than it would with something with more mass since it has to fight the wind more to stay stationary/on course. You can make it foldable, but at the expense of a less rugged design with more moving parts which increases the risk of damage in the same crash scenario, or even unfolding/folding and putting wear and tear on the joints, as something more solid and durable.

The karma won't face the issues of multiple device support that 3dr did with android (and its various flavors/hardware/implementations) and ios. Supporting a single device, which is obviously android inside, will be a lot cheaper and allow faster development. Kudos there.

Lot's of different variables affect these things. There is no swiss army knife of drones yet and probably won't be for at least 5 years with the current rate of advancement and R&D. Everybody wants something that will do everything, carry any camera (with control), fly for 40 minutes etc. They are all specialized, even within their own niches.

Reactions: Ron380
after seeing the karma im still happy with my solo. only had it for like 14 days and going to stick with it. the new stabilizer that gopro made caught my attention. Need to see more raw footage of it in action. Need to know the breaking point of it lol like much force of wind or how weather is going to affect it.

If Karma had the same cinematic features and had longer battery life, better stabilization, there is no reason to choose Solo over Karma

so hop right on over to that community and ease on down ease on down the road LOL

JK
Heck I am laying down my long term plans to buy my solo replacement. But that will not be for a while.
Solo is solid, and I plan to fly mine until the props fly off
Don't need the portability of the gopro drone. At best its a lateral move from solo, and that is questionable because well it marketing so far.

My next move has to be M43 or better on the camera
So if my DIY build does not solve that problem the next purchase will be a Power Eye like vehicle

only time will tell. The karma is lighter than solo and the battery are about the same ( what is it 5200 for solo and 5100 for karma at 14.8V) so thinking the karma will have more air time than solo. I want to see how third party development or dyi will happen to karma.

One thing people over look and take for granted in SOLO is the curves and ease in and out of shots.
use the tilt presets and watch it is out of the first position and ease into the final position. That is the cinematic edge that so many other "smart shots" miss
the smoothing on MPCC gets some people in trouble but it is pure genius on a camera path

BIG and I mean BIG if
Why so hard to believe? Solo is over two years old, with two year old technology inside. Karma isn't exactly built in the back of a someones garage...GoPro does have some really talented engineers. I wouldn't be surprised if it performs quite well and if it has already built in "smart shots" then all i needs is software updates to add more features.

One thing people over look and take for granted in SOLO is the curves and ease in and out of shots.
use the tilt presets and watch it is out of the first position and ease into the final position. That is the cinematic edge that so many other "smart shots" miss
the smoothing on MPCC gets some people in trouble but it is pure genius on a camera path
You keep assuming that the market WANTS that kind of control. Sometimes I cant' be bothered to set up a MPCC or if I'm out on a new location without a charging source I don't have enough battery to be fiddling around with it. I just fly and get the shot I want without the need for MPCC. It's all good and dandy when you have time on sight, but if someone takes this thing hiking/skiing or out on a day trip, they may not have that luxury.

Only a small market niche really uses these for professional level cinematography. That is why Solo didn't survive in the market, it was marketed to a very small group of pilots. Like Colin said in his webinar "Solo isn't for everyone. If you just want to throw a drone in the air and go fly for fun, there are better drones out there"

looks pretty good for prototype hardware/software

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

too bad legs ruin the curves in 4K without a flat lens
Why so hard to believe? Solo is over two years old, with two year old technology inside. Karma isn't exactly built in the back of a someones garage...GoPro does have some really talented engineers. I wouldn't be surprised if it performs quite well and if it has already built in "smart shots" then all i needs is software updates to add more features.

Solo is last year's tech. There's a good chance the Karma is as well (developement started last spring/summer for a early 2016 release)

ah did not know I was talking to the voice of the market
I respectfully disagree and would characterize that statement as narrow and self serving.

I have no time for useless internet quarrels
At this point the gopro drone is marketing, it has not yet proven itself in the real world. so while you are entitled to your opinion, you cannot get around that fact

I have no time for useless internet quarrels
At this point the gopro drone is marketing, it has not yet proven itself in the real world. so while you are entitled to your opinion, you cannot get around that fact
Considering you always seem to find yourself in useless internet quarrels, I think you enjoy being a part of them.

Pretty simple guys, you have a shiny new toy
the owners of this forum have even set you up a fun new place to go and support one another and be a community
you don't have to be like the DJI trolls and hangout in another user forum and drone on and on about how its better
just go there and hang out with like people and enjoy

I think Gopro nailed their launch, it looks like the even researched and designed a product for their customers. Kudos
Its not a solo, and I prefer my two year old gopro platform. It works for me.

Still I have no problem if people want to dump their solo and head on over.
Just for crying out loud do that.
Hanging out here and trying to convince people mine is better than yours is a bit pathological

I was in the same boat as you droneymcdroneface as I saw this shiny new toy with folding capabilities and option to have a removable gimbal. But considering that I've already got a Solo with gimbal, plus 3x extra batteries, the solo back pack (that actually fits any gopro attachments plus my Canon dslr with lens when detached) and also I've got a 3rd party hand held gimbal from feiyu tech that works like a dream.

If your not losing much by going with KARMA I'd say why not, but in my case where I've basically got all the things on offer by the KARMA I think I'm going to stick with my solo for now.

no consumers have a shiny new toy...it wont be out for another month

pros and cons to all platforms. what's wrong with a little comparison in a thread titled 'by to my solo getting a karma'? A forum would sure get boring/dull if everyone agreed on everything.

I re-read the initial post and there was nothing sinister/trollbait about it. You seem to be the one who's quick with the labeling. There's no need to tell others to go away...I'm sure quite a few members here are considering the Karma yet keep their Solos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44