By to my Solo. Getting KARMA

".....The PowerEgg seems the most interesting to me. Super easy transport, all-in-one functionality, long range (quality 4k video feed is supposedly reliable at 3.5 miles)... and it's just plain the coolest looking thing out there!
Just a big shiny white egg"

@bluesgeek @EyeWingsuit
meanwhile "hobbyists" are out there flying shiny white eggs 3.5 miles away with solid 4k transmission,,,,hehe

thats the spirit..crush the competition with fascism, nice!

Point taken, but turnabout is fair play. FollowIng the rules costs resources (insurance; fees; the time it takes to log, file for approvals, plan missions, maintain, etc.). If someone is not investing those resources and expects to compete in my market I feel it's fair to have that operation shut down. I'd do it in a hot minute to keep the playing field level.

Point taken, but turnabout is fair play. FollowIng the rules costs resources (insurance; fees; the time it takes to log, file for approvals, plan missions, maintain, etc.). If someone is not investing those resources and expects to compete in my market I feel it's fair to have that operation shut down. I'd do it in a hot minute to keep the playing field level.
I understand the motivations.."i got bent over so everyone should get bent..", not really great KARMA (on topic post here). hell, maybe we all could just fly for fun and get jobs for the feds looking for people to bust or insure or certify or regulate or examinate.... /s just playing devils advocate here for debate purposes, I dont really want some yahoos whitebird running into my plane, but I would LOVE a "shiny white egg" 3.5miles out to fall on my truck one day...i would really get a good chuckle

Here is a quick video of a reviewer who was at the release and he was able to fly it...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So two deficiencies clearly evident in the video, The controller has no hook for a lanyard. Also the bird has no legs, They used a blanket to launch from, (no thank you) and as the pilot mentioned the rock took out a propeller upon landing.
There is some benefit to having a newbie try it out, a more experienced pilot would have been minding the battery strength, and not likely have experienced the forced descent.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
So two deficiencies clearly evident in the video, The controller has no hook for a lanyard. Also the bird has no legs, They used a blanket to launch from, (no thank you) and as the pilot mentioned the rock took out a propeller upon landing.
There is some benefit to having a newbie try it out, a more experienced pilot would have been minding the battery strength, and not likely have experienced the forced descent.
There is legs, they used the "blanket" to minimize dirt on the lense.
As far as the lanyard goes I don't see it as a deficiency the controller is probably lighter than a solo or dji with a tablet on it and I'd say most people don't use one on them.

One thing people over look and take for granted in SOLO is the curves and ease in and out of shots.
use the tilt presets and watch it is out of the first position and ease into the final position. That is the cinematic edge that so many other "smart shots" miss
the smoothing on MPCC gets some people in trouble but it is pure genius on a camera path

I have never ever gotten the tilt presets to work properly on either of my solos. They'll work once or twice while the bird is on the ground then be completely ignored thereafter.

Reactions: bluesgeek
There is legs, they used the "blanket" to minimize dirt on the lense.
As far as the lanyard goes I don't see it as a deficiency the controller is probably lighter than a solo or dji with a tablet on it and I'd say most people don't use one on them.

If there are legs, they're too short. Just because you don't use a lanyard is no reason not to include a lanyard loop for those of us who do.

If there are legs, they're too short. Just because you don't use a lanyard is no reason not to include a lanyard loop for those of us who do.
As short as the legs are there is still more clearance under the gimbal than solo.

Small aftermarket add-ons like lanyard hooks, leg extensions and more will more than likely be introduced by third-party providers or GP themselves.

Oh, a lanyard attachment is important enough to me that the lack of one would likely be a deal breaker for me. I have a nureological condition that sometimes causes me to have a very shaky grip and therefore drop things. To not include one is a big-time boo-boo.

I have never ever gotten the tilt presets to work properly on either of my solos. They'll work once or twice while the bird is on the ground then be completely ignored thereafter.

I also find the preset tilt buttons to not always engage and last week sent support video evidence.

Small aftermarket add-ons like lanyard hooks, leg extensions and more will more than likely be introduced by third-party providers or GP themselves.

A lanyard hook needs to be designed in from the start, first balance is important so it's placement has to be considered with respect to other control positions. Second, it has to be durable, not some stick on trash that will come loose when you miss your footing.

A lanyard hook needs to be designed in from the start, first balance is important so it's placement has to be considered with respect to other control positions. Second, it has to be durable, not some stick on trash that will come loose when you miss your footing.
But... but... Solo's lanyard hook doesn't 'balance' with anything larger than a small phone, so... third-party folks have supplied a large variety of options that apparently work well for people.

Engineers can't please all the people, all the time, and building in a design element to try to please everyone, will likely please no one - and add to the cost.

Reactions: Crisp Rice
But... but... Solo's lanyard hook doesn't 'balance' with anything larger than a small phone, so... third-party folks have supplied a large variety of options that apparently work well for people.

Engineers can't please all the people, all the time, and building in a design element to try to please everyone, will likely please no one - and add to the cost.

This controller doesn't have a plethora of options for small phones up to tablets. The monitor is built in, the weight could be easily balanced. That is not an excuse, We're talking about a simple sturdy loop, argue cost with the bean counters.
On a related topic, the display that comes with this controller would probably be a big step back for a lot of large tablet Solo users. I didn't see what kind of video res it puts out, but the reviewer didn't mention anything good about it other then the simplicity of the clamshell design.
There is one thing they got right I notice, with the Hero 5 Session camera, the optical axes appears to coincide with the bird's axis unlike the solo's slightly displaced from center lens. I would guess that issue came up with solo's design, but since that part was a collaboration with the gopro camera, they had to settle for the camera as it was.

Reactions: EyeWingsuit
This controller doesn't have a plethora of options for small phones up to tablets. The monitor is built in, the weight could be easily balanced. That is not an excuse, We're talking about a simple sturdy loop, argue cost with the bean counters.
On a related topic, the display that comes with this controller would probably be a big step back for a lot of large tablet Solo users. I didn't see what kind of video res it puts out, but the reviewer didn't mention anything good about it other then the simplicity of the clamshell design.
There is one thing they got right I notice, with the Hero 5 Session camera, the optical axes appears to coincide with the bird's axis unlike the solo's slightly displaced from center lens. I would guess that issue came up with solo's design, but since that part was a collaboration with the gopro camera, they had to settle for the camera as it was.
the display is 720p.
One thing you have to keep in mind is this is not a replacement for solo or phantoms. Gopro designed this as a "accessory" for their cameras. everything seems designed around ease and speed of use, you can keep the props on in the backpack just quickly unfold it and push 2 buttons to fly.
There isn't even antennas outside the remote, range is roughly the same as SOLO.
I agree there is things missing compared to SOLO but it offers things that SOLO cannot mainly size and ease of deployment/use.

The point about the lanyard hook is legitimate, but it's also pretty picky in the greater scheme of things.

The legs is by design and for their target market (action sports) I think it makes sense to go with the ultra thin profile. Solution: take off from the back pack. Hand catching is gonna be tough though.

Reactions: SARDG

You seem to forget to add excessive time from harassment from people like you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M