By to my Solo. Getting KARMA

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He has some interesting solid arguments....
The Mavic has adjustable focus and he posted on twitter after the video was released that he finally found out, adjusted it and the video was much better.
If i was on the market for another drone this would be on the top of my list

Reactions: jibcamera
DJ gets a medal for working over GoPro. Calling theirs Karma was a dig at 3DR and well, DJ just took out a good portion of the GP market the very next day. Kudos to them for that,

well even how advance dji drone but if they still using naza i rather stick to solo.

Yeah. DJI may have just crushed Karma. We'll see. I *assume* a GoPro 4 Black or 5 will be a better camera. So there is that. The on board computer and smart shots will be better. There is also the Karma grip and the whole GoPro ecosystem of mounts and what not.

But on size and battery life, the Mavic crushes Karma.

well I have to admit I was impressed with Karma and now week later I'm impressed again, this time with Mavic. they can't do "Solo-like" smartshots but they are different type of drones - portable drones. it's still early days but those few available video reviews are looking good.
I can imagine some operators choosing to own Solo and in addition one compact/portable drone.
I lost on some good shooting opportunities when some remote locations were accessible only on foot and it was impossible to carry Solo backpack along with all of my other required gear. compact drone would be a solution in those instances.
also easier for air travel, bicycle, motorbike,...
one let down with Mavic is that it can do 2.7k only at 30fps (not 60fps)

still can't get over that range, how did they squeeze 7km range from such a compact controller and drone. inch perfect positioning. indoor use. over 20min flight time.

I just wish Mavic was a 3DR product with all the Solo smart shots and with GoPro, that would be my ideal drone, and until somebody comes up with such a drone I'm happy to keep my Solo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Keith
DJ gets a medal for working over GoPro. Calling theirs Karma was a dig at 3DR and well, DJ just took out a good portion of the GP market the very next day. Kudos to them for that,
It was most likely actually a dig a DJI for severing their relationship with gopro years ago in favor of making their own cameras. GoPros response was, ok, we'll just make a drone then and compete with you there. DJI might be having the last laugh though.

I would like to see a Mavic teardown. It is probably a single board FC like the Karma as opposed to the Naza, with the Object Avoidance paddled on. Also Where are the 2 x GPSs located. Time will tell I suppose.

I've always thought the Karma name was a dig at CA. But it is just as likely DJI too I guess.

For such a small compact drone any idea what is benefit to have such long range (7km)? Even with my SOLO or PH3pro i rarely fly those birds out of my sight.
I only done that just for range test.

Different countries have different laws. Some places it's probably still legal to go that far way. While they make a big deal out of the range, for me as a consumer following FAA regulations, it just means I am less likely to lose video if I fly behind a few trees.

If related to legal issue, GoPro Inc will walk very carefully, being a US company.
I am sure it is not that GP Inc can't do more range, its the FAA law they need to adhere if in writing of specs.
Probably if one try it in open space and remote area without wifi interference, 1.5KM is do-able.

Also USA is the world biggest market, so all drones brands if they got enough brain will try to
be very careful when advertising "specs".

Chinese companies are known to be aggressive or maybe a better word is "loose".
DJI special 2.4Ghz frequency hopping + split is indeed more superior than all drones out there, I think, hence
if one wants to break the US Law of never fly out of sight, DJI is a good choice :)

Do you think 3dr will continue tobuilt compact like karma or mavic ?

Range is no problem in my country, the limit is on alititude and fly zone. I still love my Solo to have more fly range say 3km. it's more make sense to me due to its type and functionality . But for small compact traveling drone type I dont think 7km is necessary Yes , It is cool to have that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karma IS 3DR solo with folding wings and without follow me. The app is almost exact, the shots are the exact same and check out who headed up Karma Development at gopro.

Pablo Lema (look up on linkedIn) Product Manager at 3DR and now Director of Aerial Products at GoPro

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley
I think dJi is big enough to take any comp out of the market especially due to the fact that they manufacture the drone themselves and sell it themselves. Another thing I have noticed is that they wait for something new to come and then launch something equal or better. They did this last year with the Solo by launching an upgraded line of phantoms with litchi support and auto shots and this year with the karma by making a foldable drone. I feel they have a prototype of all the kickstarter drones sitting in their vault to tweek and launch after they've seen the competition :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That is pretty much exactly what they did. The inspire 2 was supposed to release before Mavic but they moved up the Mavic release and postponed Inspire 2 when GoPro released Karma.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421