What's new with the latest SOLO ?

That's very odd that a quad that came out after the solo and has features that the solo doesn't. I'm shocked. NAB is next week, and that's where the Solo announcements will be made...if one can hold on that long without melting down.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Funny.
When 3DR delivers new features by FW and app updates every 4 weeks in average over the past 10 months people here compain about the lack of new capabilities.

What are the top 5 features that have been delivered in the last ten months that weren't originally promised?

You are correct. IF 3DR would have come out with another model Solo-II the frogs would have wings. A gentlemanaasked a question about which of the two companies and models where the best. I answered. You didn't like the factual truth. So you picked up your ball and went home to mommy crying about how I insulted the one of the two companies who have stopped supporting their customers over the phone. Fact! The fight model is completely different and not as advanced as the Phantom 4. Which btw is a complete different machine than any of the other Phantom models. And no,the last thing I need is to take advice about how to manage and market my twenty five year old corp from the Dude who makes business cards. Yes, everyone, I said something you didn't like. Sorry, I was truthful. When Solo finally Stumbled on to the playing field it was a great Novelty. And 3DR offered great support. I had no less than three of their products cross shipped to me. Like I said, keyword "Was"! I could have half steppped or down played my answer, but the facts are the facts regardless how much you hate the answer. Considering the cost, all we expect for the money is the ability to trust your very expesive aerial photography vehicle, go fly, have fun. Well that and full-on customer support. Phantom 4 you can, Solo-I you can not! 3DR in all their obvious delimma by ending their phone support seems to be really bad news in the eyes of anyone experience in marketing, leaving the writing on the wall and little guesswork about what must be going on. But it's a great company with no phone contact support and still trying to perfect an antiquated model that is going on two years and it s now legitimately deemed behind the times.
Sorry,,,, I can't lead someone asking advice down the wrong path, regardles how biased and confused others may be. I guess we will see what happens maybe in 2018 when the Solo-II might finally appear. But by then the Phantom-VI will be running and picking up your pizza. Oh, and answering the phone when their customers call!!
Have Fun and Be SafSafe!

Last edited:
You are correct. IF 3DR would have come out with another model Solo-II the frogs would have wings. A gentlemanaasked a question about which of the two companies and models where the best. I answered. You didn't like the factual truth. So you picked up your ball and went home to mommy crying about how I insulted the one of the two companies who have stopped supporting their customers over the phone. Fact! The fight model is completely different and not as advanced as the Phantom 4. Which btw is a complete different machine than any of the other Phantom models. And no,the last thing I need is to take advice about how to manage and market my twenty five year old corp from the Dude who makes business cards. Yes, everyone, I said something you didn't like. Sorry, I was truthful. When Solo finally Stumbled on to the playing field it was a great Novelty. And 3DR offered great support. I had no less than three of their products cross shipped to me. Like I said, keyword "Was"! I could have half steppped or down played my answer, but the facts are the facts regardless how much you hate the answer. Considering the cost, all we expect for the money is the ability to trust your very expesive aerial photography vehicle, go fly, have fun. Well that and full-on customer support. Phantom 4 you can, Solo-I you can not! 3DR in all their obvious delimma by ending their phone support seems to be really bad news in the eyes of anyone experience in marketing, leaving the writing on the wall and little guesswork about what must be going on. But it's a great company with no phone contact support and still trying to perfect an antiquated model that is going on two years and it s now legitimately deemed behind the times.
Sorry,,,, I can't lead someone asking advice down the wrong path, regardles how biased and confused others may be. I guess we will see what happens maybe in 2018 when the Solo-II might finally appear. But by then the Phantom-VI will be running and picking up your pizza. Oh, and answering the phone when their customers call!!
Have Fun and Be SafSafe!
Oh, ok, I get it. You mean you can actually successfully fly the Phantom whereas Solo was simply too much.
Sorry, my bad.
I guess we're all underestimating The Phantom Menace.

Reactions: jibcamera
Guys, The fanboy response does not help the discussion. I think the things we should be talking about is where are these promise upgrades? and if upgrades are on the agenda, which ones would be most desirable, and if 3DR doesn't want to do the upgrades, do we want to spend the time and treasure to do it ourselves? Or is the latest DJI or some other bird better, and should we just put our solos on the shelf for better bird?

nor does throwing out the word Fanboy when people support the product.
bit like calling someone a racist these days, way over played

One of the selling points for the Solo was that you wouldn't have to buy a new bird each year because it would be upgrade-able. What upgrades are available? If nothing is announced at NAB this may be another unfulfilled commitment by 3DR.
Kind of like my Ford F-150 Platinum with the Nav system. It promoted being able for upgrades from the USB port. I bought a 2009 and then a 2012 and have NEVER seen an update !

Reactions: pyrate
Those early automotive nav system were terrible.
I have a mopar one, you can upgrade it but the maps are ridiculous.
Not sure it is a good analogy though as 3DR came from the DIY world, ford was never that

Those early automotive nav system were terrible.
I have a mopar one, you can upgrade it but the maps are ridiculous.
Not sure it is a good analogy though as 3DR came from the DIY world, ford was never that
Yeah, after I bought my 2009 they finally came out with an 'upgrade' but you had to buy a new vehicle to have it incorporated :-( These companies promising easy upgrades are mostly selling hype as by the time they come up with new upgradeable features the hardware, and software technology has evolved to the point where you just can't upgrade and you need to buy a new product anyway. Kind of like computers and mother boards where you were supposed to be able to just insert a new processor and have the latest and greatest. I think back about the old 386 and 486 and then the Pentium arrived!

Geesh, I just initially asked if 3DR has incorporated any of the DIY mods being made to enhance their product and look what got started in this thread. Sorry guys, didn't mean to start a firestorm debate !!!

No problems
there are a lot of things being developed but 3DR is moving away from DIY
that is why it is taking time for th 3rd Party guys to congeal.

Look for some interesting things at NAB, just saying.
and after that some other gates might open

This was one of the marketing competition. And on top of it all, 3DR really kind of squandered almost a whole year of "future proof" just trying to make the Solo do what they promised at NAB. It was more like "past proofing." The best upgrade that 3DR could offer me right now is a set of 4 new improved reliable motors that don't introduce shake and vibration into the bird. You can't fix that with a firmware update.
That's right they need to improve the quality of the motor. With the failure of any motor the drone fell from the sky. Nothing you can do about it once that happened. And on some serious shoot and remote location you end up loosing everything. Including your project. Cause that's what happened to me.

Man oh man....I can imagine how some of you guys act in the "iOS vs Android" threads on other forums! LOL :)

Personally, I've had my Solo since August. In my opinion it has improved with every update. This was my first aerial RC of any kind, so there were a few stumbles at first, but mostly my fault. But I will say this, to this day I have never had a crash, with the exception of a handful of flips after landing. The day I opened the box of my Solo, I was out flying within an hour, comfortably taking off and landing Solo as if I had been doing it for years. A friend of mine has a P4 and I honestly don't see any features on it that I really feel the Solo is missing. OK sure, it has object detection, but it's already failed on him once, and now he's too scared to even rely on it, so what's the point? Does it do most of the things the Solo does and take great video? Of course it does. Is it easy to fly? It sure is. But so is the Solo. They are not THAT different, let's face it.

During the entire time I've owned Solo I've only ever had 1 hardware issue, which was with my gimbal. From the time I sent it my support ticket to the time I received a brand new gimbal back at my door was just about 1.5 weeks. How can customer service get any better then that? Why do you need to talk to someone on the phone when you get an email response within 24 hours? People complaining about the lack of phone service aren't understanding how to take advantage of the excellent customer service that IS at your disposal from 3DR.

The P4 vs Solo debate will never end. Each one will evolve and eventually one will shine over the other I'm sure. But honestly, at this stage and in my opinion, they are SO similar (for the average user) that it's difficult to choose between the two. I chose Solo simply because I liked the idea of supporting a newly emerged American company with it's corporate AND customer service offices based in the USA. And so far in my case, that decision has worked out exactly the way I hoped.

Man oh man....I can imagine how some of you guys act in the "iOS vs Android" threads on other forums! LOL :)

That's funny you mention the brand loyalty of people. I started flying in the 80s and sponsored by Miniature Aircraft USA. At that time there were 2 main manufacturers, Miniature Aircraft and GMP (Gorham Model Products). And loyalty was very strong with some back then as well.

You haven't flown a Phantom lately or ever.

You're serious? I guess they do come in many colors besides just puckered pink...
here's a couple shots of me with a couple of my DJI birds.
One is my S1000 with a Blackmagic Microcinema 4K (outputs 6gSDI to external Oddysey).
And a 2 year old shot with my P2.
And...with my Phantom 4 the day they arrived at the Apple store
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• DSC09996.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • PhantomBioshot_DroneLife.jpg
    PhantomBioshot_DroneLife.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 6
You're serious? I guess they do come in many colors besides just puckered pink...
here's a couple shots of me with a couple of my DJI birds.
One is my S1000 with a Blackmagic Microcinema 4K (outputs 6gSDI to external Oddysey).
And a 2 year old shot with my P2.
And...with my Phantom 4 the day they arrived at the Apple store
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

sat...looks like you just got your card pulled

How do you know?
LOL this should be fun

Maddog, are you gonna make it to NAB? I've just found that I'll be doing a couple of Yuneec H bits there on Wednesday and can be found in the South Hall at the FMC pavilion when I'm not in the North Hall for Post Production World Conference.

Satman...come visit me at NAB.
NAB April 16-22, 2016 - Valley of Fire UAV Showcase

Phantoms, Solos, Yuneec Q/H, S900, S1000, and a few other toys. Either come fly with me, or come to one of my seminars. The one on UAV laws and Part 107 is the least expensive, and it has seats available for only $295.00.
Hope to see you there somewhere amongst the other 127,000 people. ;)
Aerial Workshops at NAB.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44