What's new with the latest SOLO ?

Who says they're "losing the drone competition?"
They perhaps don't sell as many recreational drones, but for professional use (from Canada to LA, Las Vegas to Seattle) I've seen more Solo on mid-size shoots than Phantoms, and moreover, Solo dominates the sub 5000.00 category for commercial/enterprise use due to the number of FLIR cameras, live feed straight out of the box with no mod. 3DR are very appealing to the commercial market due to open source, field replaceable, and easily programmed for repeatable flight.
This is simply not true. I have worked on probably over 100 commercial and professional shoots that have utilized drones. Except for the big budget projects which use heavy lifters for a Red or Alexa the drone is ALWAYS a DJI. This has been the case since the original Phantom and through the P2 P3 Inspire and now the P4. The Inspire X5R is what most DPs are excited about now. It will seriously cut into the business of large octos flying Reds. DJI is the industry standard for small drones. I have to date not seen a single Solo on a film set.

Guys, The fanboy response does not help the discussion. I think the things we should be talking about is where are these promise upgrades? and if upgrades are on the agenda, which ones would be most desirable, and if 3DR doesn't want to do the upgrades, do we want to spend the time and treasure to do it ourselves? Or is the latest DJI or some other bird better, and should we just put our solos on the shelf for better bird?

This was one of the marketing promises that hooked me at the product launch, but it is becoming irrelevant. I saw it as a way to keep Solo up to date for maybe 2-3 years. The concept of "future proof" high tech devices is really an oxymoron, especially in a field where more competitors are popping up and making leaps and bounds forward in hardware and software based features and improvements. It's like with smart phones. They give you occasional improvements and new features from time to time with system updates. But eventually you need the latest new phone if you want the most up to date performance. It's the same with drones. Sure, it's nice to get some new features like MPCC now and then through firmware updates, but that can only carry you so far into the future before a major hardware upgrade is necessary to remain up to date with the competition. And on top of it all, 3DR really kind of squandered almost a whole year of "future proof" just trying to make the Solo do what they promised at NAB. It was more like "past proofing." The best upgrade that 3DR could offer me right now is a set of 4 new improved reliable motors that don't introduce shake and vibration into the bird. You can't fix that with a firmware update.
The best upgrade that 3DR could offer me right now is a set of 4 new improved reliable motors that don't introduce shake and vibration into the bird. You can't fix that with a firmware update.

I'm not aware of any motors that don't introduce shake and vibration- virtually all need some amount of balancing. Can you tell us which motors you are referring to?

This is simply not true. I have worked on probably over 100 commercial and professional shoots that have utilized drones. Except for the big budget projects which use heavy lifters for a Red or Alexa the drone is ALWAYS a DJI. This has been the case since the original Phantom and through the P2 P3 Inspire and now the P4. The Inspire X5R is what most DPs are excited about now. It will seriously cut into the business of large octos flying Reds. DJI is the industry standard for small drones. I have to date not seen a single Solo on a film set.
Did they ever fix their "flyaway" problem? Seems kinda scary..

The best upgrade that 3DR could offer me right now is a set of 4 new improved reliable motors that don't introduce shake and vibration into the bird. You can't fix that with a firmware update.

I'm not aware of any motors that don't introduce shake and vibration- virtually all need some amount of balancing. Can you tell us which motors you are referring to?
It may be true that all motors introduce vibration. But if so then the DJI gimbals are taking it out. I have never needed to post stabilize footage from my Phantoms. I have also never had a DJI motor fail.

Did they ever fix their "flyaway" problem? Seems kinda scary..
I have never experienced a Phantom fly away. Again, that is with first hand experience on over 100 professional productions. I have seen a few crashed, all due to pilot error.

Guys, The fanboy response does not help the discussion. I think the things we should be talking about is where are these promise upgrades? and if upgrades are on the agenda, which ones would be most desirable, and if 3DR doesn't want to do the upgrades, do we want to spend the time and treasure to do it ourselves? Or is the latest DJI or some other bird better, and should we just put our solos on the shelf for better bird?
I think NAB 2016 will be very telling. We will see if 3DR makes any big announcements about the future of Solo. If not, then we know it's the end of the line for Solo. I just listened to the latest Drone U podcast and they said they have written the Solo off as a "flop." They think that based on 3DR closing offices and laying off staff that Solo is finished. We should know in a few weeks. If there is a future for Solo then there should be big announcements on the NAB floor. If not then we all own an obsolete piece of drone history that we can display on a shelf.

Reactions: aaronp
I have always been skeptical of a product who has such a warranty as to cover a possible fly away.
But the real answer is Nothing! There has been (0) Zero. Nothing. No advancements from the Original Solo from a year ago. Unless you call ending customer phone support as something new and impressive.
It's hard for me to take a Date out for the evening and spend a thousand dollars and now our relationship is my text and email. Great! And that is the service 3D Robotics is now offering.
The 2016 P4 and 2015 Solo1 are completely different vehicles in so may ways. The P4s follow me does require the controller or any transmitter to be onboer the subject being racked. The P4 follows the objects image. The Solo
Follow me is similar to the image track. Also a P4 feature is you can point on the map and the P4 will fly there.
I have had 4 Iris+ and 4 Solo. So, I not only know 3DR, the vehicles, and it's integral components they each offer but the horribly disappointment it was when I tried to get service on my latest Solo only to find out their phone service has ended.
My advice, purchase from Best Buy or Frye's Electronics so you can be assured a channel for a return.
I have always supported 3DR and their products. They were heading the right direction. But since they've decided they had too or could not afford to continue customer support it is made many people wonder, including myself, the condition of the company. All I can say is if you haven't tried the Phantom 4 it is truly an impressive aerial photo platform. Take it from someone who has owns Both!

Reactions: aaronp
You haven't flown a Phantom lately or ever.

Who says they're "losing the drone competition?"
They perhaps don't sell as many recreational drones, but for professional use (from Canada to LA, Las Vegas to Seattle) I've seen more Solo on mid-size shoots than Phantoms, and moreover, Solo dominates the sub 5000.00 category for commercial/enterprise use due to the number of FLIR cameras, live feed straight out of the box with no mod. 3DR are very appealing to the commercial market due to open source, field replaceable, and easily programmed for repeatable flight.

You know, it's kinda funny...
Everyone's screaming about the sky falling when 3DR is doing exactly what they should to pursue success.
How could they ever manage - or even hope - to compete with DJI in terms of purely consumer-oriented product? Not gonna happen. Ever. Ever, ever, ever - and never likely was an intended end goal.
Instead, they're moving rapidly into an area where DJI does indeed currently dominate but that 3DR has the potential to not only equal or surpass them, but to actually slaughter them.
Agriculture. Construction. A company producing platforms specifically designed and optimized for very specific applications with capabilities and features DJI could never dream of making commercially available at reasonable costs.
Individually designed packages, customized Solos (currently) for very specialized purposes - this is a market that DJI can't really compete with a smaller, very agile entity like 3DR that could provide exactly what's required in a tiny fraction of the time it would take a behemoth like DJI to gear up for, and which is just better to boot... yep, I know Solo is made in China but is by-God conceived right here in the U S of A by genuine Americans gifted with Yankee ingenuity.
I'll be damned if I'll declare patriotism dead.

Reactions: RichWest
Dude, as a guy who's flown every iteration of the Phantom including the latest - and who currently owns two versions - I can assure you... well...
... I ain't impressed.

Every product has it's issues and I am glad you are thrilled with the P4, and not part of the growing users in the 'returning the P4' boards. AG suits, false advertising, etc. I think the P4 is a great advancement and certainly has it's place in the market. But there are certainly more complaints about DJI service (or lack there of) and why many came to the Solo. And if you have a Solo, you know it can do the 'follow my finger' trick you mentioned. Ever try Tower?
But like I said, I am glad you are thrilled with the P4 and wish you well with it.
Fly Safe..

Reactions: Maddog and Marich
Then you haven't flown the P4. If you are any kind of experienced dronie then you would know this. I felt the same way you do until 3DRs failing unavailable phone support I was forced to go to Best Buy and try out the Brand New Phantom 4. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news or source of technological advancements but the P4 is not in the same quirky clewgy category as the Toy Solo. It's true. When you own both at the same time you too will be disappointed but enlightened.

If you are any kind of experienced dronie then you would know this.

Know what?
And better tread lightly on 'experience'. In my case it goes back to the 80s where I was a factory sponsored nitro heli pilot. I have built and owned hexes and quads with 7 different FCs, including 2 from DJI.

One only needs to look at all 9 of your posts to know where you are coming from. I said the P4 was a nice bird and I meant it, it's just not for me. But your attitude in all 9 of your very informative posts tells a wonderful narrative.

Fly Safe..

Reactions: J R and Marich
I understand. Our experience in RC is extensive. My first was rubber band powered servos and a one channel radio.
I have owned a T-Rex Nitro as well as many other Helis and tons of other RC craft.
So as well I only speak of my experience. Which was Great with 3DR. Until it went to Crap. Ya see, that was then and this is now. I no longer fly rubber band powered actuators on single channel planes. And 3DR no longer is providing top notch support after previously providing it. The reason,,, in my opinion,,, they were way slow about releasing their final Solo product with Gimbal. The DJI could not hold a candle to the Solo. But like I said, that was then. Now due to lack of customer support and the failure to maintain innovative market share they are suffering. Possibly but I hope not, to the point of extinction. It is difficult to support a product that has dropped your support. And yes, I have called DJIband spoke with their support. They are fully aware, probably more than anyone here, of the predicament 3DR has found itself and left its customers in. Everything else is appreciated lip service.
Maybe they will have a come back. But nevertheless, the Phantom 4 is hands down with no comparison a more ingenuitive 4K aerial platform.
And I know this because not only because of my legacy experience, own a 25 yr old residential commercial comminations tech company, born and raised at the airport, had my pilots license since I was a kid, own a 79 Bellanca Viking parked in my private hanger but the fact I have both the Solo and P4 in my possession, on my bench, charged and ready to fly. And as a member of the AMA since 1970 I can tell you there is No Guess Work Here By Jerking My Own Chain when I speak of the Facts. A man like me doesn't have time for anything less.
So now..... You have read all 10 of my post's.

Thank You For Your Attention As To This Matter.

Happy Flying. Be Safe!

When you own both at the same time you too will be disappointed but enlightened.

Sat,

I own, and fly regularly, two P3Pro's, a P2V+v3 and a Solo. I love all of them! For an amateur/hobbyist like me, they're all great. I do fly my Phantoms more because I know them better and they're easier for me but there are some characteristics of the Solo that I like much better. A lot of people on this site are not like me, they're not just hobbyists, they use these things to make an income. Coming on here to slam them or their product of choice is a wasted effort and serves absolutely no useful purpose.

The very first thing I chose to do was distance flying. I have never broken the altitude limit but I have the LOS rule. A week after the P4 came out I bought another P3Pro. You go deal with all of the firmware headaches you're going to have and all of the privacy issues that are creeping up with your Chinese friends (I'm running older firmware and 3rd party apps, so I don't have to deal with it). Then come on here and drop us a clip of your 6 mile P4 run. Go back over to the DJI site and you can watch my 5 mile P2 run and 6 mile P3 run. Your P4 ain't gonna touch it. You'd better pour over that board too, 24/7, to make sure you know what's really going on over there. Or you can just wait a few months for the P4Pro or better yet, wait 6 months and you can reinvest in the brand new P5. I still fly my P2, I use it to scout out my P3 runs.

Look, just ease up a bit. I truly hope you get a lot of enjoyment with your new P4 but this is the wrong place to come and be rude to Solo owners and supporters. I'm sure there are plenty of Phantom owners over at the other sites that would love to hear your Solo bashing. I'll see you over there. Just my opinion, of course.

Good luck and have some fun!

Jerry

I have always been skeptical of a product who has such a warranty as to cover a possible fly away.
But the real answer is Nothing! There has been (0) Zero. Nothing. No advancements from the Original Solo from a year ago. Unless you call ending customer phone support as something new and impressive.
It's hard for me to take a Date out for the evening and spend a thousand dollars and now our relationship is my text and email. Great! And that is the service 3D Robotics is now offering.
The 2016 P4 and 2015 Solo1 are completely different vehicles in so may ways. The P4s follow me does require the controller or any transmitter to be onboer the subject being racked. The P4 follows the objects image. The Solo
Follow me is similar to the image track. Also a P4 feature is you can point on the map and the P4 will fly there.
I have had 4 Iris+ and 4 Solo. So, I not only know 3DR, the vehicles, and it's integral components they each offer but the horribly disappointment it was when I tried to get service on my latest Solo only to find out their phone service has ended.
My advice, purchase from Best Buy or Frye's Electronics so you can be assured a channel for a return.
I have always supported 3DR and their products. They were heading the right direction. But since they've decided they had too or could not afford to continue customer support it is made many people wonder, including myself, the condition of the company. All I can say is if you haven't tried the Phantom 4 it is truly an impressive aerial photo platform. Take it from someone who has owns Both!
Funny.
If 3DR would launch Solo V2 there would be a $h#tstorm here how 3DR dares to treat the existing Solo customers
When 3DR delivers new features by FW and app updates every 4 weeks in average over the past 10 months people here compain about the lack of new capabilities.

Speaking about support:
- I had a bad Zenmuse gimbal last year - took DIJ 9 weeks to ship a new one at 250$. They refused to RMA and I got tired of arguing.
- My Solo gimbal went bad after 5 months, it took 3DR 4 weeks to ship s new one at zero cost, as an apology for keeping me waiting I got a pair of earphones in addition

3DR Support works great for me being in Europe.

Reactions: Andrew McCuaig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44