Solo app 2.4 Beta. Should I try it?

Reaction score
I'm not quite new to quads but I am new to Solo. Brief history. I ordered a new Solo and 3 axis gimbal last week. When they arrived, I carefully installed the gimbal. When I started everything up, the gimbal just kept sort of bouncing vertically, like it was trying to get straight but couldn't. I took it back out, checked that the wires were all properly tucked in, and tried again. Same problem (I had a Hero 4 Silver in it). I went ahead and got into the old app (on an Android tablet) and checked for an update. It said I was already current and the gimbal kept bouncing.

So, I decided to try the new Beta app to see if that would correct the problem. Everything went nuts, the gimbal kept bouncing, and all I could get the Solo to do was turn on and give me blue lights in front, red in back. I returned everything.

Today, my replacement Solo and gimbal will arrive. My question is, should I just try to get everything working on the old firmware and not try the Beta? I went with a Solo mainly for the reputation, (apparent) quality and esp the features like the new multi-point cable cam. But, it appears I won't have all the features I want for my work without the new firmware and, based on what happened with the first Solo/gimbal, I really hesitate to try the Beta.

Any words of wisdom/advice would be appreciated.

Frankly, No.
First get familiar with your Solo with all features. Then learn to fly manual to be able to rescue your drone in case of something goes south.

Install a beta only if you are willing to contribute to testing and to provide formal reports on issues found.

Seriously, a beta version may include defects, sometimes even severe defects.

And multi point cable cam works fine with the current official release.

I got the new one in. I signed on with the old app, went into the update and it told me there was an update and that it was 2.4. I loaded it. Everything seems to be working fine...well...other than I didn't get it ready in time to actually fly tonight. Link with my tablet and the controller are fine; gimbal functions fine. I also did go to the various functions like cable cam. The directions that popped up was what I wanted; multi-point cable. I also did the level calibration and compass and compass took first try. I will be a bit anxious to get it out and actually fly it. FYI, tablet is Android, an LG, running Marshmellow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela