PeauPro60 and PeauPro72 experiences?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just picked up the Solo last week at the BestBuy deal and am looking to upgrade my Hero 4 Silver. I'm a long time photographer who is new to drones and I like the idea of a 30mm or 24mm lens. Has anybody purchased these? I only see the 22mm lens mentioned on here.

The 30mm lens has a lot of lovely videos on YouTube, but the 24mm only has a single, short video.

It's hard for me to imagine how they're doubling the focal length while maintaining video quality. They even have a 40mm!

PS will the gimbal work effectively at such a tight focal length than originally designed?

Last edited:
I don't own any of those specific products. But I can tell you Peau makes quality stuff. You won't their products to be crappy. And the gimbal can handle any of that stuff. The PeauPro82 package with the 3.97mm, or modding your existing GoPro using the 3.97mm upgrade kit is probably the most popular on here. Very high quality lens, and no fisheye distortion. Obviously it isn't as wide angle, but it is far more professional.

The ones you're looking at will still be high quality, but you're going to have a much narrower and more zoomed in image. If that's what you're after, they'll accomplish that task well. However, the narrower and more zoomed in you go, the more pronounced every vibration, bump, wind gust, and shake will be. The rolling shutter effect will also be more pronounced. That's just the nature of the beast with any movable camera platform. You will definitely want to get the ND filter set. You'll want to use the ND8 or ND16 to reduce the shutter speed, which will reduce the effects of vibration and rolling shutter.

Reactions: lattiboy
I don't own any of those specific products. But I can tell you Peau makes quality stuff. You won't their products to be crappy. And the gimbal can handle any of that stuff. The PeauPro82 package with the 3.97mm, or modding your existing GoPro using the 3.97mm upgrade kit is probably the most popular on here. Very high quality lens, and no fisheye distortion. Obviously it isn't as wide angle, but it is far more professional.

The ones you're looking at will still be high quality, but you're going to have a much narrower and more zoomed in image. If that's what you're after, they'll accomplish that task well. However, the narrower and more zoomed in you go, the more pronounced every vibration, bump, wind gust, and shake will be. The rolling shutter effect will also be more pronounced. That's just the nature of the beast with any movable camera platform. You will definitely want to get the ND filter set. You'll want to use the ND8 or ND16 to reduce the shutter speed, which will reduce the effects of vibration and rolling shutter.

Thanks! My biggest concern was the gimbal and how it would work with a narrow lens. I really prefer the 30 mm FOV, but after watching a few videos it looks like you need a very high-quality drone and gimbal to avoid vibration. I'm not sure the solo is quite up to that task.

You will definitely want to get the ND filter set. You'll want to use the ND8 or ND16 to reduce the shutter speed, which will reduce the effects of vibration and rolling shutter.

How does a reduced shutter speed improve the stability of the video? When you use the ND filters what do you change on the GoPro's settings?

How does a reduced shutter speed improve the stability of the video? When you use the ND filters what do you change on the GoPro's settings?

You generally want to have double the frame rate for video. For instance, if shooting at 60fps, you want a 1/120 shutter speed (or as close as you can get it). Otherwise, you can get choppy video. It can be used as an effect, most famously in Saving Private Ryan and the Jason Bourne films. Think of a kinetic fight scene and how "fast" the people appear to be moving.

ND filters cut the light entering the camera, so you go from 1/500 on a sunny day to 1/125th if using an ND8 filter. All without effecting video quality.

You would usually want to "lock in" the shutter speed on a GoPro to double the frame rate and then use the appropriate ND filter. Obviously how much light you're working with effects which ND you would use. The higher the number, the more light is blocked.

It is very difficult to match up manual shutter speed to an ND filter with the GoPro. The limited number of manual frame rate locks, combined with the limited number of ND filter options makes it only work properly in very specific lighting conditions that do not change. You cannot change the shutter speed through the app while in flight. And you obviously can't change the filter while in flight either. Most people have found the manual shutter speed on the GoPro to be more of a gimick than a feature when it comes to drone video. The lighting conditions change as you move around, which really makes a fixed shutter speed impractical.

The most practical thing is just putting an ND filter on it that is appropriate for the general conditions, and let the auto exposure handle the shutter speed as it needs to. For a beach or desert on a bright sunny day, stick an ND16 or ND32 filter on it. For a sunny day over forest or fields, ND8 or ND16. For a cloudy day, ND8. The auto shutter will handle the variations of shadows and open sun. And the frame will be dramatically lower than with no filter in all cases, which fixes the vibration, prop shadows, and rolling shutter issues.

Reactions: gnomad
It is very difficult to match up manual shutter speed to an ND filter with the GoPro. The limited number of manual frame rate locks, combined with the limited number of ND filter options makes it only work properly in very specific lighting conditions that do not change. You cannot change the shutter speed through the app while in flight. And you obviously can't change the filter while in flight either. Most people have found the manual shutter speed on the GoPro to be more of a gimick than a feature when it comes to drone video. The lighting conditions change as you move around, which really makes a fixed shutter speed impractical.

The most practical thing is just putting an ND filter on it that is appropriate for the general conditions, and let the auto exposure handle the shutter speed as it needs to. For a beach or desert on a bright sunny day, stick an ND16 or ND32 filter on it. For a sunny day over forest or fields, ND8 or ND16. For a cloudy day, ND8. The auto shutter will handle the variations of shadows and open sun. And the frame will be dramatically lower than with no filter in all cases, which fixes the vibration, prop shadows, and rolling shutter issues.

Thanks. I was speaking more generally about ND filters, but I obviously have very littler drone experience.

Good to know about the shutter speed thing being kind of a gimmick. It makes sense given the environment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc