Been using a GoPro Hero 3 Black...now it's dead

Reaction score
Hi all -

I've been poking around and looking for any others that might have had the same issue as me, but hadn't come across anything so far. I haven't spent hours pouring over threads, so forgive me if this is a known issue.

I've had my Solo since the BF sale at BestBuy and I've flown it about 4 or 5 times - I would be in the air much more, but I can't stand flying in single-digit (and sub-zero) temperatures, which have persisted here lately. Anyhoo, I've only had a GoPro Hero3 Black and had been using it in hopes of upgrading to a compatible version soon.

The GoPro was working just fine as a video feed camera even though I couldn't control it through the app. After those 4 or 5 flights, the GoPro went non-responsive. I spent several days trying to revive/reset it, but to no avail. It wouldn't power on, wouldn't initiate on the drone, the LCD screen never displayed anything and it was not recognized by the desktop. After a few days I just sold it for parts on eBay.

So my real question is: have there been other instances of the Solo - for whatever reason - causing GoPros to go dead? I'm getting a Hero4 Blk on Monday and I'm just not 100% confident in plugging it into the Solo after my other perfectly good GoPro went dead.

This may be an irrational fear I suppose, but I just wondered if this has ever been an issue? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Done about 40-50 flights with a GP3B+ and never had any problems. Last 8 flights were with the same camera with a Peau 3.97mm lens.

Last edited:
I suppose it's just the camera gone bad, but literally after having it about 3 years I've used it maybe 2 or 3 times a year. No problems until I put it on the Solo :-(

I guess it's just a random coincidence that it went bad at the same time. The only other variable might have been that flying in cold temps (teens), and then bringing it into a warm environment, there may have been condensation that zapped the electronics. I'm typically pretty cautious in trying to warm everything gradually (I have to do this with my camera equipment), but it's a possibility.

BTW - how do you like the 3.97mm? I've been intending to get a 5.4mm for the new GoPro once I get it. Did you install the lens yourself, or have Peau do it for you?

Never had an issue with by gopro hero plus black. I do not think it would be possible for solo to kill your camera. Sounds like a battery issue. Reset the battery

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Reactions: quickamg
BTW - how do you like the 3.97mm? I've been intending to get a 5.4mm for the new GoPro once I get it. Did you install the lens yourself, or have Peau do it for you?
DIY all the way. I wanted to get rid of the GP fisheye look and the 3.97 mm gives me 16mp which is 4 up from the factory GP lens. I'm having to use an ND8 filter when the sun is out in force, the ND4 in these conditions doesn't do the best job.

Reactions: webchimp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc