Where is this all GOING??

Let’s see how this goes.

I am a Solo owner.

I recently bought a DJI Spark.

Totally different use than Solo.

I like flying the Spark, but don’t like the DJI Go app much, or the eavesdropping.

It is nice to have such a small drone to pack, and to take it out wherever—and It is a lot quieter than Solo.

I’ve played with Autopilot to get more of a Tower experience, so far Spark seems too limited. Maybe Mavic would do better with Autopilot, but lots more money.

Flying the Spark reinforced how great Solo is. Loud, not as tripod stable, but everything else is great for what I do with it.

Long live Solo!

Let’s see how this goes.

I am a Solo owner.

I recently bought a DJI Spark.

Totally different use than Solo.

I like flying the Spark, but don’t like the DJI Go app much, or the eavesdropping.

It is nice to have such a small drone to pack, and to take it out wherever—and It is a lot quieter than Solo.

I’ve played with Autopilot to get more of a Tower experience, so far Spark seems too limited. Maybe Mavic would do better with Autopilot, but lots more money.

Flying the Spark reinforced how great Solo is. Loud, not as tripod stable, but everything else is great for what I do with it.

Long live Solo!

That's completely agreeable. Did you get the remote? I hope so because that greatly changes the experience with the Spark. I flew one a couple weeks ago and I was amazed at how stable it was. I got over a mile in range and about 30mph, that's nuts! I agree that the footage isn't as good as the Hero 4 Black, of course that camera costs as much as the entire Spark does, although I do appreciate the lack of fish eye. I got about 13 minutes of flight time which is really close to what I get from my Solo, of course that's with older batteries to be fair. That palm launch and land is weird the first few times you do it, right? Optical "follow" me is okay but not as good as the Mavic. Both it and the Mavic indoor fly really well and stay well controlled in tight spaces. The obstacle avoidance is pretty good. It's up and running in under a minute too, which is nice. I haven't had problems with the app but it's a subjective thing, I think. I know lots of people don't like it.

It's definitely a different experience from flying a Solo for sure! The Solo has a more "Pro" feel to it. It's like the difference between driving a little sports car and an SUV. People don't like when I say this, but to me it has a more "toy" feel to it. I've considered buying one but I don't necessarily "need" a more portable drone. That's why I like the Mavic because I feel it bridges that gap really well.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Black magic cube for video, or a lightweight mirrorless camera with digital zoom, using something like a 24mm pancake lens. Of course, you would have to come up with a solution for a gimbal. There's also a kodak 360 system, check with BH photo

I woke up this morning, after nine days in southern Utah doing some semi-risky drone flights, and coming back with decent, if not outstanding, drone video and stills. I have probably $2,000+ invested in hardware, for my non-commercial activities.

Who am I?

Am I a fly-boy/racer/hobbyist? no - not really.

Am I a super-techie, engineer, developer who likes to spend gobs of time getting something new to work, kind-of? No, I used to do some of that stuff, but I am not basically retired and want to have fun again.

Am I photographer/explorer who wants to get to places normally unattainable (for me) and come back with fine art quality photographs and video. YES.

The current crop of Solos come close, but really don't cut it.

-- The GoPro 3/4 is marginal for video, but crappy for stills. I have tried to fit a better camera, but it never quite works. No zoom lenses is a big problem.

-- The lack of automated obstacle avoidance means that I can't get into the tight spaces, like cliffs near trees, that I want to reach. Can't run two cameras, so "3D vision" probably does not work.

-- The lack of two control channels means I am limited to "see" and "photograph" through the same focal length lens,etc.

The list goes on.

Sounds like I am at a dead end, and to continue, I might need to go to a commercial like still being supported by the manufacturer or just give it up?
Take a look at this. DJI continues to be cutting edge:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Camera is $2699 and extra lenses are approx $1200
If you have the money good for you. Otherwise...get some lens cleaner and polish that GoPro lens.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela