New Year, New Solo! Open Solo 3.0.0 released

hi i update my Solo to 3.0 and work fine until yesterday, but tonight i want to fly but the controller say waiting for solo, what can i do? I Try reset the controller but not working.
Pull the battery out of the controller for a minute and try again. Unrelated to Open Solo.

I'm having trouble updating to OpenSolo

What I did:
- factory reset drone and controller
- updated both
- tried to use Solex to update, but it does not show the updates, I can't hit refresh button, something is not working properly (Android 7.1.2)
- so now I'm going the SD-card way. It says copy the image to the SD-card but I see four partions on the card. Should I reformate the card completely and load the image on to it? Something else?

Thanks for the help!

I'm having trouble updating to OpenSolo

What I did:
- factory reset drone and controller
- updated both
- tried to use Solex to update, but it does not show the updates, I can't hit refresh button, something is not working properly (Android 7.1.2)
- so now I'm going the SD-card way. It says copy the image to the SD-card but I see four partions on the card. Should I reformate the card completely and load the image on to it? Something else?

Thanks for the help!
I would not format quite yet, when you reset controller and drone did you change the password or is it still sololink? If you did not change it you have to re-connect to solex again using solo's wifi you must let it recognize what type of vehicle it is before you can download the updates/firmware wait until Paddles chimes in before you do anything out of the ordinary..

Reactions: Nellu
Solex 1.6.8 now allows a default setting of Solo so that you can now download new firmware from your home wifi BEFORE actually connecting to Solo. Such a relief... No more switching back and forth.

I clearly did something wrong, although I think I was following this guide. Any ways I did it with SSH and it still flies! Thank you for your help!

@Wetstone yes I saw that but it did not seem to work (even when connected to the internet). Solex had a few hangs. Sometimes the screen would not update if I clicked on another menu.

View attachment 7555
NEW YEAR, NEW SOLO! Open Solo 3.0.0, the first non-beta stable production release has dropped at 00:00z on January 1, 2018!!
Please read over the release notes and instructions before posting questions. Most common questions are answered in the release notes.

Thank you very much for all your work.
I have Installed Open Solo 3.0.0 and Open Pilot on my iPad.
It's working great, just some strange bug, some time the controller doesn't find the Solo instantly especially inside when I was jumping from 3dr App and Open Pilot; comparing some features.

Do you recommand not to use 3dr Solo App with Open Solo 3 ?

The first pairing took me an hour, I removed the gimbal and pushed the buttom below (I don't know if it was a good idea) but after few seconds I was able to pair it.

The good points :
It was very easy to install (With my iPhone and Open Pilot)
I had no more tilt function in my 3dr gimbal (before Open Solo) and now it's working perfectly.
My Pixhawk GPS Ublox 8 work fine I had 17Sat last time (i just replaced the original GPS same place)
I had video feedback problems, now It's working.
I had the impression that the Gopro battery was still very charged after the flights.

Strange things:
The controller took some time to pair (indoor) and when I turn it off I saw some light inside from the back (vent holes) and I had to remove the battery from the controller then the controller was pairing quickly again.

Thank's again for all your work.
Jean-Luc

Hi, I am having some issues I could not find a solution for doing a search. I have 2 original solos, both with the upgraded mro gps(orig, not purple). I installed 3.0 Open Solo on both thru Solex. One appears to be fine, the other, I have had issues. Yesterday, I took it to continue set up, I needed to calibrate compass. I had calibrated IMU with no issues. When I arrived at spot to fly, turn everything on, the calibrate compass button is grayed out. Can’t figure it out, pack up. Read about profiles etc., so I poke around, find some missions I had ( never flown, just from playing w app ) and delegated those. I reboot, the buttons not grayed out. Drive to location, turn everything on, buttons again grayed out, I can’t calibrate. I keep looking for where you reset parameters (I thought I read that as a suggestion for someone else)... I see button in app settings, click advanced mode, you can toggle using recent loaded parameters. Not sure if this is it, or should be checked, it is currently. In flight profiles, if I hit reset, I get An error message. Any help/ suggestions on what I have screwed up, greatly appreciated, my apologies for long winded post.

Reactions: Amsecure and Tanaka
Hi, I am having some issues I could not find a solution for doing a search. I have 2 original solos, both with the upgraded mro gps(orig, not purple). I installed 3.0 Open Solo on both thru Solex. One appears to be fine, the other, I have had issues. Yesterday, I took it to continue set up, I needed to calibrate compass. I had calibrated IMU with no issues. When I arrived at spot to fly, turn everything on, the calibrate compass button is grayed out. Can’t figure it out, pack up. Read about profiles etc., so I poke around, find some missions I had ( never flown, just from playing w app ) and delegated those. I reboot, the buttons not grayed out. Drive to location, turn everything on, buttons again grayed out, I can’t calibrate. I keep looking for where you reset parameters (I thought I read that as a suggestion for someone else)... I see button in app settings, click advanced mode, you can toggle using recent loaded parameters. Not sure if this is it, or should be checked, it is currently. In flight profiles, if I hit reset, I get An error message. Any help/ suggestions on what I have screwed up, greatly appreciated, my apologies for long winded post.

This is how I did...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Using the SidePilot App and it worked!!! And I need to thank the community here! :D

Downloaded Open Solo 3 last night...will be trying to update my solo tonight...hope it goes well. I've been having lots of fun, but want to extra features and be on a maintained branch.

Can someone give me a tip on how to install Open Solo on a vehicle, without a controller?

Basically, I've got two Solos with Green Cubes (call them "B" and "C"), and previously was using them both with one controller ("BC").

The controller ("BC") and one vehicle ("B") have been updated, how do I install the software on the second vehicle ("C"), as I can't seem to connect to sololink wifi to use SSH unless the controller is connected to the vehicle.

I assume the answer is to either pull the SD card from the Green Cube on vehicle "C"; or bind another controller to vehicle "C" while both are still on 1.5.3, and install copter (only) via Solex.

Wondering if there are other alternatives.

EDIT: it appears it is possible to establish Sololink even if controller and vehicle are on different versions. So attempt to bind, disregard errors of mismatch, and proceed with SSH workflow to update.

Last edited:
So, the work you've done to make Open Solo viable is excellent. I was wondering if you have a road map of what you'd like to do with it? Or were you just hoping to get a stable build and leave it alone. Since, I assume, eventually all the Solos will die from not having new LiPos. Just curious what your goal was. Is there a discussion board somewhere for this topic?

Ok, this is what I did. After 5V mode in my Cube 2.0 (you can see video in other thread) installed clean Open Solo (wiped old firmware first with Ardupilot fw). Then extracted ArduCopter-v3_3.5.4_Solo.px4 from downloaded to my tablet ArduCopter 3.5.4 Firmware.zip for Green Cube. Installed px4 file using Mission Planner. Looks like everything works (didn't fly yet). Question to @Pedals2Paddles - will it work in Cube 2.0 with 5V mode? and did I install it right way?

Update:
did short flight indoor in AltHold, looks like works fine.
Waiting for better weather to check smart shots.

Last edited:
So, the work you've done to make Open Solo viable is excellent. I was wondering if you have a road map of what you'd like to do with it? Or were you just hoping to get a stable build and leave it alone. Since, I assume, eventually all the Solos will die from not having new LiPos. Just curious what your goal was. Is there a discussion board somewhere for this topic?
As you can see on his videos people are working on Solo batteries to make them new

As you can see on his videos people are working on Solo batteries to make them new

Yeah I've seen that! Good work. I'm just not willing to drimmel open a LiPo case just yet. Maybe some company will buy his design and produce it with some level of reliable quality

Ok, so did an Open Solo upgrade to 3.0.0. Everything seemed fine, (initial pairing, IMU Calibration, Compass Calibration, etc.). Parameters downloaded just fine from Solo. Did not fly it yet though, just checking that (WiFi / Solo) connections were working fine. Rebooted Solo twice. On third reboot LEDs went GREEN on Motor Pods and controller says waiting for Solo. Try to re-pair. no luck. Power off everything, power back on. Solo goes Green, no chirps or beeps. What kind of reset is available now? On a stock Solo, not Green Cube.

Update, also no tones / chirps either when connecting via USB cable between pixhawk (original black cube) and Mission Planner. The Pixhawk lights up and flashes green / orange, but will not connect (yes, tore solo down to access USB port on Pix). Also tried re-seating pix cube. Was able to connect with another Pix on another Solo just fine via Mission Planner so cable is fine.

Also re-seated SD card. This is driving me nuts.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela