New Year, New Solo! Open Solo 3.0.0 released

Having a problem with OpenSolo 3.0 and uncommanded yaw. Tried to upload both .bin and .txt logs. BIN extension was rejected, text file's size was rejected. .

I updated my green cube Solo a couple of days ago to 3.0 and did a test flight yesterday cut short by a problem. Update was flawless. Followed instructions and did NOT load any parameter files. Before flight I calibrated level and compass.

I took off in FLY with GPS lock to default height and let it sit a minute to observer hover. I then took it about 30 away and about 40 feet up and noticed a slight CCW twitch. I corrected that and it twitched again. I then let it hover and observed that as it was facing north,it was twitching every 10 seconds or so in a CCW direction, almost as if in Pano mode. It would yaw about 10 degrees, then hold ten seconds, then yaw, hold, etc.
All of this was uncommanded/ with hands OFF sticks. When it got approximately due west, the yaw stopped. I then attempted again to take the bird out a little bit, continued to observe erratic flight with uncommanded movements, so I decided to end the flight. I had to time the landing in between yaws to avoid a flip.

The logs show a lot of different messages. There are several "EKF2 IMU0 and IMU1 in flight yaw alignment complete" messages and every 10 seconds through the whole flight EKF2 IMU0 and IMU1 compass switching messages, the timing of which seems to correlate with the yaw movements.

I really hope this is not hardware-related. It's a brand-new main board, brand new compass and green cube with only about 90 minutes flight time.

I did notice ever since RC2 that when I connect through Solex or Mission Planner, it frequently tells me "Already got parameter xxxx". Most of the time it's momentary, sometimes it hangs for several minutes and sometimes I observe it actually looping, trying to repeatedly load the same parameters. When connecting to Mission Planner, I also frequently see "Bad Logging" messages. I have only had it airborne twice since RC2 due to work, weather, timing, etc., so it's hard to tell, but I suspect my parameters have somehow gotten corrupt, perhaps during the upgrade to RC2. But with several hundred, I have no idea what to look for.

Autoanalysis of the dataflash log shows slow loop lines, duplicate data chunk warnings and a few other anomalies about mia parameters:

No of lines 140602
Duration 0:06:37
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.5.4
Firmware Hash 0b76dc76
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0
Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = GOOD - mag_field interference within limits (5.18%)

Test: Dupe Log Data = FAIL - Duplicate data chunks found in log (12403 and 18040)
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 99.99
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.25, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Motor Balance = GOOD - Motor channel averages = [1400, 1374, 1383, 1376]
Average motor output = 1383
Difference between min and max motor averages = 26
Test: NaNs = GOOD -
Test: OpticalFlow = FAIL - FAIL: no optical flow data
Test: Parameters = FAIL - 'THR_MIN' not found
Test: PM = FAIL - 30 slow loop lines found, max 50.64% on line 64563
Test: Pitch/Roll = UNKNOWN - 'BarAlt'
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = GOOD -

I never saw any of these issues prior to RC2 and review log data from every flight on a religious basis. Does the 3.0 install completely obliterate parameters and then rewrite a new set, or does it simply change the affected ones from what's already there? Would another factory reset restore the correct ones? Perhaps someone with a working green cube solo on 3.0 (without any custom changes) send me a parameter file to test with?

At this point, somewhat confused.

Thanks

Last edited:
Having a problem with OpenSolo 3.0 and uncommanded yaw.
It definitely should only be doing the yaw alignment once in flight. Changing IMUs in flight is usually an indication something is wrong too.

First thing to do is reset the parameters with the reset params button in solex. Then redo all the post-install stuff as described in the post install instructions. Try again. It's likely something was wrong with one of your calibrations and this will wipe that out.

Well today was my first flight since updating my non green cube solo to 3.0.0 so i take off to a height of about 20 ft and notice the solo is shaking or twiching too much and it never did this before the update so im lost. I hope the update didnt screw something up. I do want to add its 17 degrees out im wondering if the cold has anything to do with it shaking the way it does while hovering. If anyone is experiencing a similar issue please chime in thanks. I am aware of what the solo operating temps are so again not sure if thats it.

Last edited:
Well today was my first flight since updating my non green cube solo to 3.0.0 so i take off to a height of about 20 ft and notice the solo is shaking or twiching too much and it never did this before the update so im lost. I hope the update didnt screw something up. I do want to add its 17 degrees out im wondering if the cold has anything to do with it shaking the way it does while hovering. If anyone is experiencing a similar issue please chime in thanks. I am aware of what the solo operating temps are so again not sure if thats it.
Could be the cold. IMUs drift with extreme temperature changes. But you can so the same as I recommended in the post above to redo your calibrations and test again.

Thinking of updating my fleet to Open Solo 3.0 as the install directions now look very very straight forward even for dummies. Have some questions that I was not able to find in release notes.

Will Solo still fly with native 3dr app after upgrade or does the upgrade mandate you only fly with Solex? I assume the answer is yes as Native App was mentioned in calibration options after upgrade? I have purchased Solex but still fly with native app every once in a while as I like their GUI layout/setup for smart shots/cable cam.

"cutting the cord" from 3dr means to me that after upgrade I am no longer reliant on company that is out of the consumer drone business to fly so if their servers are down I can still factory reset/rebuild and have a functional bird. This also means unlike almost all other drones I am not reliant on a Company server I have to connect to upgrade on "the" version "they" mandate I fly my bird with.

The release notes are fairly short so I am assuming other then noted about lost functionality all other features/functions work as they normally have?

I also do not see anything in notes that reference approximate flight hours that this build has been run through. I am assuming 100% that flight hours with beta users on this build is fairly extensive. If these are stupid questions and info is listed on Facebook I apologize. I have never had an account on the book of faces. If you do find a critical bug what are the means of communicating this out? I assume that would be here.

It goes without saying thanks to all you guys for taking our birds to the next level!! If you have a donate page please list it out so I can at least buy ya some beer.

Will Solo still fly with native 3dr app after upgrade or does the upgrade mandate you only fly with Solex? I assume the answer is yes as Native App was mentioned in calibration options after upgrade? I have purchased Solex but still fly with native app every once in a while as I like their GUI layout/setup for smart shots/cable cam.
Yes. The 3DR app will still work like usual.

"cutting the cord" from 3dr means to me that after upgrade I am no longer reliant on company that is out of the consumer drone business to fly so if their servers are down I can still factory reset/rebuild and have a functional bird. This also means unlike almost all other drones I am not reliant on a Company server I have to connect to upgrade on "the" version "they" mandate I fly my bird with.
Yes. There is no longer any need to ever connect to 3DRs servers ever again. If you do a factory reset, it will come back to life with a clean install of Open Solo 3.0.0 without ever needing any other buttons pushed or updates loaded.

The release notes are fairly short so I am assuming other then noted about lost functionality all other features/functions work as they normally have?
Correct.

I also do not see anything in notes that reference approximate flight hours that this build has been run through. I am assuming 100% that flight hours with beta users on this build is fairly extensive. If these are stupid questions and info is listed on Facebook I apologize. I have never had an account on the book of faces.
That has never been surveyed or quantified. However it is extensive. Four beta releases, with lots of beta testers using it over the course of 4 months.

If you do find a critical bug what are the means of communicating this out? I assume that would be here.
Here or the facebook groups is fine.

Could be the cold. IMUs drift with extreme temperature changes. But you can so the same as I recommended in the post above to redo your calibrations and test again.

Update ! Was just a prop that was way off balance. I have so many props I didn’t notice the bad one was in my set. Now it’s a stable hover. It’s crazy how just one prop can change the dynamic, thing was dancing like someone’s drunk uncle

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
5cf7d0eae86753c4e97f9d2307d04518.jpg

I was surprised to see this on one of my son’s updated stock solos: 1.2.11 for controller firmware version (3dr app). My other son’s stock solo listed 3.0.0 at the bottom under controller firmware after the update.

I did try to re-load open solo 3.0.0 for both controller and copter. But I get the same number (1.2.11) for controller firmware. Has anyone else experienced this?

"Controller Firmware" is the STM32 board the controller, which is the hardware for the sticks, buttons, and display. "Controller" is IMX linux computer inside the controller. Both should indeed say 3.0.0. When you power on the controller, are you seeing the Open Solo logo and v3.0.0 in the bottom right while it is booting up?

"Controller Firmware" is the STM32 board the controller, which is the hardware for the sticks, buttons, and display. "Controller" is IMX linux computer inside the controller. Both should indeed say 3.0.0. When you power on the controller, are you seeing the Open Solo logo and v3.0.0 in the bottom right while it is booting up?

No. It does not say Anything. I knew that wasn’t right either.

If you do a factory reset on the controller, that should force it to update the STM32 in the process. You will need to pair the solo again once it is done.

If you do a factory reset on the controller, that should force it to update the STM32 in the process. You will need to pair the solo again once it is done.

That's an easy fix! I'll give it a try tonight. Thank you!

Tried factory reset (power & fly). Seemed to be working at first but did not need to pair again after . Thought that was strange.

Rebooted and found same controller firmware 1.2.11. Thought I would try reload Open Solo 3.0.0 on the controller and saw a weird display during the load.

I took a video of it but don't know how to attach it in this app.

I still see the 3DR logo when booting. And now I can't do factory reset on controller.

Strange...

Tried factory reset (power & fly). Seemed to be working at first but did not need to pair again after . Thought that was strange.

Rebooted and found same controller firmware 1.2.11. Thought I would try reload Open Solo 3.0.0 on the controller and saw a weird display during the load.

I took a video of it but don't know how to attach it in this app.

I still see the 3DR logo when booting. And now I can't do factory reset on controller.

Strange...

Not sure what to try next. I guess I'll look for a new controller unit. Something is obviously wrong with this one.

Trying this on a Stock Solo with the Solex App. Controller update went smoothly. Copter update failed twice with this message: /home/root/postinstall.sh exited with code 1. Any idea on what this means?

I am guessing the controller will not pair to the copter after next reboot? How do I update only copter after this issue?

Last edited:
Trying this on a Stock Solo with the Solex App. Controller update went smoothly. Copter update failed twice with this message: /home/root/postinstall.sh exited with code 1. Any idea on what this means?

I am guessing the controller will not pair to the copter after next reboot? How do I update only copter after this issue?

Was this paired, updated to the latest 3dr firmware, flying, fully operational before beginning the open solo update? I'm guessing no based on that error.

The controller will pair just fine once everything is rebooted.

It was paired, on stock firmware 1.3.1, flying and operational. Should I have updated to 1.5.4 before updating to OpenSolo?

Was this paired, updated to the latest 3dr firmware, flying, fully operational before beginning the open solo update? I'm guessing no based on that error.

The controller will pair just fine once everything is rebooted.

After rebooting controller and Solo, now controller now says "Solo and controller version mismatch" after pairing.

Same error as before if I try to update copter through solex.

How can I get the copter to OpenSolo now? Would appreciate some help with fixing this! Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela