New Year, New Solo! Open Solo 3.0.0 released

Installed yesterday, had a blast, great work on the update Matt. It really is much quicker now, got one of my GC birds updated yesterday. Will do the next GC bird today, and then onto the 3 stock birds. Once Jestersdrones gets more HERE systems in, I'm all over them! When you going to give us a preview of what's in store for the rest of 2018?
ArduCopter 3.6 will probably be a thing in 2018 with Smart RTL and chibios. Lots of people are working on gimbal alternatives. I would expect to see support for all of that get baked into Open Solo point releases. Possibly also specific support for using Solo's IMX on custom built copters.

I just updated my Solo to Open Solo 3.0 and the installation went fine, i did the compass calibration afterwards and i was able to do the motor run test but i noticed the Solo's wifi adress had changed automatically - when i tried to connect i could not connect to the vehicle anymore and a pair attempt does not work either, no reaction whatsoever when pressing the button....
It seems the change of the wifi adress has something to do with it but i can't change that i guess ?
At first i was glad the update worked but now i'm suck with a non-working Solo - any suggestions how to revive it ??
thank you for all help....

I just updated my Solo to Open Solo 3.0 and the installation went fine, i did the compass calibration afterwards and i was able to do the motor run test but i noticed the Solo's wifi adress had changed automatically - when i tried to connect i could not connect to the vehicle anymore and a pair attempt does not work either, no reaction whatsoever when pressing the button....
It seems the change of the wifi adress has something to do with it but i can't change that i guess ?
At first i was glad the update worked but now i'm suck with a non-working Solo - any suggestions how to revive it ??
The Open Solo install is effectively the same as a factory reset. The WiFi network is reset to the original name and the default password. Pairing should allow you to connect and change both in either app using the default password - it's in the manual.

You said you updated 'Solo' - was this just the vehicle? Did you update the controller too - if not it may still be looking for the 'old' network

Someone will likely be able to help with a bit more information.

Last edited:
What do you mean the wifi address changed? I'm quite sure it didn't. Nor should you change it.

thank you for your reply, i found the option to change the wifi name of the Solo in Vehicle Settings but very strangely the Solo decided to come back to life without changing the wifi adress....
After recalibrating both the compass and IMU i could spin the motors , then i had some trouble to get my GoPro4 producing images but i guess i finally could revive my Solo....
thanks again !

Reactions: june03dr
i updated both the controller and the Solo successfully , regarding the Wifi adress - yes it changed on it's own to Sololink_xxxxxx with another id- when i look in Vehicles menu it shows 2 Solo's now with different id's , the Original one as Default vehicle and the second one as Unnamed vehicle....
The Original wifi id is no longer shown in my Wifi network list so i can only choose the new wifi name which finally works after numerous attempts....
The Solo keeps amazing me but i'm glad it's working again!
thank you all for your help !

Matt,

I figured out what was going on. Problem solved.

Here is what I did. Hopefully it would help others.

I pulled the sd card from the copter, started analyzing log files. kernel log file had wlan0 associated message, which I thought was weird, did a wifi scan and found that mac address which solo was connecting to. It was my printer set to accept direct connections. I turned that printer off restarted solo pressed the pair button, and controller found the solo.

Thanks for all the help.
Is your quad a stock solo or with GC addon?

i updated both the controller and the Solo successfully , regarding the Wifi adress - yes it changed on it's own to Sololink_xxxxxx with another id- when i look in Vehicles menu it shows 2 Solo's now with different id's , the Original one as Default vehicle and the second one as Unnamed vehicle....
The Original wifi id is no longer shown in my Wifi network list so i can only choose the new wifi name which finally works after numerous attempts....
It reset itself back to the stock solo wifi ssid that is not an "address" this is an "address" 10.0.0.1.

Sololink_xxxxx is simply the name of the solo wifi SSID that is normal..and it's stock password is sololink period. real simple.

Reactions: Flasher
ok so it just automatically changed the name of the SSID ? Now i understand that is not the address of the Solo ....
I'm still confused why the Solo decides to go into "dead mode" after the initial successfull update, it did not reven react on the Pair button press and then after numerous attempts it suddenly comes back to life....
I guess i will never fully understand my Solo but for now i'm glad it works again....
thank you for explaining !

Something similar happened to me too, where solo controller wifi name would flip flop between two different names, I assumed this was my phone issue.

Guys, the solo goes back to it's default wifi SSID and password when it resets. And this is noted in the instructions....

Reactions: Flasher
Hi Matt,

Awesome that this code is available to keep our Solos in the air! Even more cool that you and the other dev's made the installation transparent to GC or stock Solo installs.

I have a some questions WRT the feature split between the GC and stock.
- First a general question; are the "solo specific updates" also a part of the GC code? Ex. Is "Distance based battery failsafe" part of the GC update? I would assume so.
- Why is boat mode not available for the stock Solo? Does it rely upon the updated IMU hardware in the GC?
- Why wouldn't I be able to use the following on a stock Solo:
  • Ability to use RTK GPS for surveys, ADS-B aircraft avoidance, lidar laser altimeters, terrain awareness and following, IR precision landing, and even an “indoor GPS”.
The reason I ask these questions is I have four Solo's (picked up another at $125 blowout at B&H, I think I need help) and was planning to simply perform the 5V PWM mod on the stock cube and load "solo master". Now with the detection scheme in Open Solo, I'm assuming I won't be able to load the code to be able to use those features listed under GC for the stock cube. At the very least, be able to use the non-slew rate limited code.

Thanks again for all the effort,

Dave H.

The stock cube specific features do not exist in ArduCopter master but are in the older ArduCopter-Solo firmware. The Green Cube specific features exist in ArduCopter master, but do not exist in the old ArduCopter-Solo firmware.

If you put logic level converters on your motor pods so they get 5v signalling, that would mitigate the electrical issue. The Open Solo install scripts would have no way of knowing, so it would still install the older ArduCopter-Solo firmware. You could then manually install the ArduCopter 3.5.4 firmware file, and you'd be good.

Reactions: XevetS
Hi. I use install/recovery with SD card images...

I unzip the files with 7zip then use Win32 disk imager.

I succeeded with controller SD card.. then I started with copter SD card and then I got message say not enough available space.. see the picture.. what shall I do next?

Attachments

• 712975FF-06C2-4F48-B7EF-961FBE0BD703.jpeg
    712975FF-06C2-4F48-B7EF-961FBE0BD703.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 54
Hi. I use install/recovery with SD card images...

I unzip the files with 7zip then use Win32 disk imager.

I succeeded with controller SD card.. then I started with copter SD card and then I got message say not enough available space.. see the picture.. what shall I do next?
Actual data I believe is < 2 GB if you continue you would probably be OK, as long as image data is not fragmented. But if you want to play safe, just get a 16 GB card and use that to image.

No SD card has exactly the capacity they claim to have.

I guess, other option would be to re-generate images with fewer bytes.

Reactions: Rex Barlow
The stock cube specific features do not exist in ArduCopter master but are in the older ArduCopter-Solo firmware. The Green Cube specific features exist in ArduCopter master, but do not exist in the old ArduCopter-Solo firmware.

If you put logic level converters on your motor pods so they get 5v signalling, that would mitigate the electrical issue. The Open Solo install scripts would have no way of knowing, so it would still install the older ArduCopter-Solo firmware. You could then manually install the ArduCopter 3.5.4 firmware file, and you'd be good.

Forgive me as I guess I'm not clear on your first paragraph. Will there be some functionality that will no longer work if I load 3.5.4 on a stock cube?

Great on the fact I can manually load 3.5.4. In this case, from another thread, I would install OpenSolo which installs 1.5.4 on my stock cube, then install 3.5.4, reset parameters, then recalibrate correct?

For the 5V signaling, I plan to perform the rework on the cube itself since I have SMT rework tools at my disposal.

I will eventually buy a GC. I just can't justify it right now and especially for the entire fleet. At least two Solo's will be parted out for spares and for making a larger quad or maybe hex. Too many irons in the fire to do any of it right now :-/

Thanks again,

Dave H.

Actual data I believe is < 2 GB if you continue you would probably be OK, as long as image data is not fragmented. But if you want to play safe, just get a 16 GB card and use that to image.

No SD card has exactly the capacity they claim to have.

I guess, other option would be to re-generate images with fewer bytes.
I just go ahead by click YES, It went well and completely. Installed both no problem at all! Flew my solo no trouble at all!

Thank to HUR

One thing, it will work if you do install/recovery SD image✌️Hard way,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela