Reaction score
So went and installed the Green Cube using the video that was posted here (Yay!). Wasn't entirely comfy with taking my drone apart BUT was surprising how easy it was once I got into the swing of things.

Green cube went in.

Solex was started and this is where I ran into trouble. According to the video there were 2 or 3 files (can't remember at the moment) to be downloaded an installed in a very specific order. Only when I went to solex, said files weren't there (turns out the files had been updated to new releases and this wasn't reflected in the video). Anyway, managed to download both files and updated solo.

Now I'm having massive issues. Solo boots up, lights turn green, musical tone plays, lights stay green.

However remote wouldn't connect to the solo. So had to do a factory reset on the remote. Factory reset on solo and finally they connected and paired.

However when I start the app on my phone, it see's the remote and the solo link, however it cannot find the solo. Remote is saying "Waiting on solo".

It's like the remote did pair, but for some reason, the solo isn't talking to it.

Did a full test of the remote with a spare solo, managed to get it working just fine, app found the solo.

Can anyone give me some help here? (without turning this into a flame war and shutting down the thread!).

Thanks in advance (because I have faith in you guys!).

So went and installed the Green Cube using the video that was posted here (Yay!). Wasn't entirely comfy with taking my drone apart BUT was surprising how easy it was once I got into the swing of things.

Green cube went in.

Solex was started and this is where I ran into trouble. According to the video there were 2 or 3 files (can't remember at the moment) to be downloaded an installed in a very specific order. Only when I went to solex, said files weren't there (turns out the files had been updated to new releases and this wasn't reflected in the video). Anyway, managed to download both files and updated solo.

Now I'm having massive issues. Solo boots up, lights turn green, musical tone plays, lights stay green.

However remote wouldn't connect to the solo. So had to do a factory reset on the remote. Factory reset on solo and finally they connected and paired.

However when I start the app on my phone, it see's the remote and the solo link, however it cannot find the solo. Remote is saying "Waiting on solo".

It's like the remote did pair, but for some reason, the solo isn't talking to it.

Did a full test of the remote with a spare solo, managed to get it working just fine, app found the solo.

Can anyone give me some help here? (without turning this into a flame war and shutting down the thread!).

Thanks in advance (because I have faith in you guys!).
Sorry to hear about your problems, You could not have followed the instruction from that video, cause the files to install from Solex has been removed over a month ago.
Procedures & files has also changed. Notes in Video " Check for latest Procedures & files" Before starting this update.

What files did you install?
Go back & see what files you installed & install procedure. This will help.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Aye, that's the problem, I couldn't follow the instructions in the video due to the fact that when it got to uploading the files from solex, the files referenced in the video were not there. There were two files in the solex update menu, both of them said that they were compatible with solo. All I remember is that one of them was 283kb and the other was 6.3kb.

So here's where I'm at now. I found that factory resetting the solo with the new pixhawk (2.1) was a bad idea as the software from a factory reset is not compatible. So I replaced the old pix hawk (2.0) and did the factory reset on both the controller and the solo. That seems to have worked. I then removed the old pixhawk (2.0) and have placed the new Pix Hawk into the solo. So at this point, should I go and try to update with solex again? Or should I try to update using WinSCP (and I'll tell you now, I'm not familiar with that process at all).

UPDATE* OK, so have now connected to Solo via Solex and uploaded the Firmware. Instructions seem to be "wait 5 minutes before power cycling". After that, I'll upload the parameters file.

What I am curious about though is that both files (via solex) say that they don't contain any instructions for smart shots. So does this mean I have lost smart shot functionality? If so, how do I go about getting these back? Will let you know how this round goes .....

Last edited:
Aye, that's the problem, I couldn't follow the instructions in the video due to the fact that when it got to uploading the files from solex, the files referenced in the video were not there. There were two files in the solex update menu, both of them said that they were compatible with solo. All I remember is that one of them was 283kb and the other was 6.3kb.

So here's where I'm at now. I found that factory resetting the solo with the new pixhawk (2.1) was a bad idea as the software from a factory reset is not compatible. So I replaced the old pix hawk (2.0) and did the factory reset on both the controller and the solo. That seems to have worked. I then removed the old pixhawk (2.0) and have placed the new Pix Hawk into the solo. So at this point, should I go and try to update with solex again? Or should I try to update using WinSCP (and I'll tell you now, I'm not familiar with that process at all).
I just found the latest install procedures for the GC 2.1

First thing's first, you done bad by a factory reset with GC installed, You done Good by knowing how to get back to factory setting properly.

Make sure you have latest updates offered by 3DR, then proceed to install your GC 2.1

Update python files:
Before doing anything else, you must load the new python files onto the Solo's companion computer. This can be loaded with the Solex app's firmware update function really easily with a few clicks! Select the IMX Python Files package. If it it says "available", Solex will download it. Once it says "downloaded, click the file and select install. When prompted, power cycle the solo. The files are compiled on reboot.

Now, You can reinstall your GC. It's gets easier the second time around Go back to video if you need help with install of H/W

After GC installed, power Solo up as usual. After a short while, the Solo will reconnect with the controller as usual. It will probably give you all kinds of warnings about calibration. This is normal and expected.

Now, Load the firmware and parameters using Solex.
Read the notice and select install. All the files will be copied to the Solo.

1st: ArduCopter_35-RC_8_Firnware.zip
2nd: ArduCopter_35-RC_8_params,zip

When prompted, power cycle the Solo. It will reboot, then switch into bootloader mode.
Process can take several minutes to update.

With the Solex app reconnected to the Solo, click the Reset Params button on the firmware update screen of Solex. When prompted, power cycle Solo.
The Solo will reboot and reconnect to the controller and apps.

Installation done!

Open Solex & run all Sliders Speed, Altitude all sliders from min. to max. then set slider to your preference
These sliders make changes to the parameters. Running the sliders up and down ensure those parameters are set the way they should be.

Calibrations:
Once all of this done, you will need to do a level calibration and a compass calibration. As of today, only the 3DR Solo app can do these functions.

In Solo app from 3DR
Calibrate Level
Any Cal. level surface will do.

Calibrate compass
for best results, You need to be in a open area open field or open park with no obstruction or tress within 150ft.

You're all ready

If you run in to something not addressed above, then go here to see the long version of instruction above

Last edited:
OK, excellent... let's just say for the sake of arguing, that I went and did something silly like re-installing the greencube BEFORE I uploaded the IMX python files... is there anyway to re-upload these without having to take apart my solo (again) and putting the original pixhawk back in? (I want the answer to be yes, but I'm suspecting otherwise...).

First things first, the official current instructions are here (SoloScripts/README.md at master · ArduPilot/SoloScripts · GitHub). Please read all 2 or 3 times before proceeding. Do not ever under any circumstances do what some random video says to do with this again. Those videos have caused so many problems for people and they are no longer valid.

Second, it will be a complicated mess to undo what's been done to this poor solo thusfar. I can probably get you through it, but I need to know the current state of things. Did you try to factory reset the solo with the green cube installed? What does the controller current say, is it connected or "waiting"? Are you using Solex to do this, or are using Mission Planner and WinSCP/Filezilla?

Thanks for your help. Actually I was using the video found on this forum "https://3drpilots.com/threads/guide-to-install-setup-the-green-cube-on-your-solo.10266/" and that's where things went badly. Unfortunately the thread seemed to turn into some sort of Flame war thus ending any chance of finding resolutions.

Ok, at the moment the original Pix Hawk (2.0) is back in the bird although cannot seem to get it to do a factory reset. The controller did pair, and it's reading the preflight update message.

The bird itself is giving an entirely different musical tone and the LEDS are staying green. Oh and I was using solex only, but I also have a copy of WinSCP ready to go.

Can you try redoing the factory reset process on the solo? Are you familiar at all with Mission Planner?
I've tried doing the factory reset on Solo (with original PixHawk 2.0) , however it doesn't seem to be working. Here's the step by step for what I'm doing.

Flipped the bird upside down. Connected battery. Inserted paperclip into "pairing" hole. Pressed the pairing button in there (can feel the depression) and power cycled the solo while keeping the "pairing" button pressed. However the solo makes an unusual beeping sound when powered on. Keep the pairing button pressed for 25 seconds and then release. Little orange light blinks furiously. LEDS are all green and not cycling color at all. Will remain solid green at this point.

Not familiar with Mission Planner. Only have Solo App, Solex and Tower installed on phone. WinSCP on work laptop (no admin rights to install other software).

if you did any research on the cube, you might have noticed that many times it was said this was experimental and not for the RTF crowd. If everyone were having trouble then no one would be doing it. It does work just fine. But you have to follow the instructions to the T and if you have issues, there are lots of people who can help you through it, unless you came across poorly when you asked for help

has anyone asked the video owners to take them down?
Don't have to ask, i took it down due to IrishmanPDX By not following instructions. Video STATES Check to see it new procedures or Files BEFORE attempting install.
Not seeing the files in video, He decided to go on his own & install other files instead, screws things up & blames Video....
He says this in is original post.
I can say more, but leave it at that.

Hi Folks, I fully put my hands up and admit this is entirely MY FAULT! The minute the process deviated from the instructions I should have stopped, but I didn't and I plowed on and screwed up. Mea Cupla! However it's a learning experience and honestly it's made me comfy with stripping my drone down taking it apart and putting it back together. I would also like to point out that I fully appreciate the help and tips I've gotten from people here regarding repairing my drone and how to go about it. I've gotten one of my spares in the air at the moment, so I'm not at a loss (hey, that's what the Ebay bargains are for, right?) and when I do my next pixhawk upgrade, guess what I'm hopefully NOT going to do! Let's face it, we wouldn't be flying solo's if we didn't love to tinker with them and everyone has to learn somewhere. So honestly folks, not looking to blame anyone but myself and not going to sit on my butt feeling sorry for myself either. I want to get this solo fixed, at the same time I'm having fun and learning while trying to get that done. So thanks to everyone who's giving me tips, helping out and doing exactly what we're supposed to be doing on this forum!

Don't mind rssalas. I'm not sure how trolling the internet calling me a pedophile relates to him not following instructions. He's been warned about this by the admins here, and he's been reported for this again.

I've tried doing the factory reset on Solo (with original PixHawk 2.0) , however it doesn't seem to be working. Here's the step by step for what I'm doing.

Flipped the bird upside down. Connected battery. Inserted paperclip into "pairing" hole. Pressed the pairing button in there (can feel the depression) and power cycled the solo while keeping the "pairing" button pressed. However the solo makes an unusual beeping sound when powered on. Keep the pairing button pressed for 25 seconds and then release. Little orange light blinks furiously. LEDS are all green and not cycling color at all. Will remain solid green at this point.

Not familiar with Mission Planner. Only have Solo App, Solex and Tower installed on phone. WinSCP on work laptop (no admin rights to install other software).

Not being able to install Mission Planner on your laptop could be a problem. You don't have any other PC or mac? The Android iOS applications do not have the ability to connect to the Pixhawk by USB for firmware loading. So a PC is required to undo this problem.

Let's try something first. Connect your laptop to the Solo's WiFi and try to connect to the Solo with WinSCP. Set it for SFTP, 10.1.1.10, and the password is TjSDBkAu. If it connects, we might be able to fix this. Download this zip file (SoloScripts/ArduCopter_35-RC8.zip at master · ArduPilot/SoloScripts · GitHub) from our GitHub. Inside it is a folder called IMX filled with a bunch of Python (*.py) files. You'll want to put all those python files onto the solo usering WinSCP. They need to go into the /usr/bin/ directory and will be overwriting older versions. Then reboot and see if anything is any better. It's a long shot but it's the first thing to try.

Is this the guy that got banned from face book?
Yep. Since he can't troll over there anymore, he is now trolling about here.

blah blah blah.
Sir, you are arguing and not helping. This user is asking for help, and help is being provided. Your constant insulting accusations and lies are not helping anyone do anything. Literally everything you keep babbling is a lie to defend your own inadequacies and failures. You are violating the terms of use for the forum with your insults and name calling. And you are in the way of helping people who actually pay attention. Please move on.

Don't mind rssalas. I'm not sure how trolling the internet calling me a pedophile relates to him not following instructions. He's been warned about this by the admins here, and he's been reported for this again.

Not being able to install Mission Planner on your laptop could be a problem. You don't have any other PC or mac? The Android iOS applications do not have the ability to connect to the Pixhawk by USB for firmware loading. So a PC is required to undo this problem.

Let's try something first. Connect your laptop to the Solo's WiFi and try to connect to the Solo with WinSCP. Set it for SFTP, 10.1.1.10, and the password is TjSDBkAu. If it connects, we might be able to fix this. Download this zip file (SoloScripts/ArduCopter_35-RC8.zip at master · ArduPilot/SoloScripts · GitHub) from our GitHub. Inside it is a folder called IMX filled with a bunch of Python (*.py) files. You'll want to put all those python files onto the solo usering WinSCP. They need to go into the /usr/bin/ directory and will be overwriting older versions. Then reboot and see if anything is any better. It's a long shot but it's the first thing to try.
Darn it all , you guys may have me convinced to plop down the money to Greenify one of my birds. I'm stubborn though, and my brain says I should be able to find a way to add a little hardware magic and make the original factory Pixhawk work with Master .....

I might just have to take one of my functional parts birds and experiment with level shifting.... just to satisfy my own curiosity if nothing else.

Darn it all , you guys may have me convinced to plop down the money to Greenify one of my birds. I'm stubborn though, and my brain says I should be able to find a way to add a little hardware magic and make the original factory Pixhawk work with Master .....

I might just have to take one of my functional parts birds and experiment with level shifting.... just to satisfy my own curiosity if nothing else.

The hardware designers believe a level converter stepping it up from 3 to 5 volts will do the job. Nobody has done it yet. So you would be a test pilot. If successful, you can probably sell some kits with plug and play DF connectors on them!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig