Hola disculpa que me meta en el tema pero me da pena porque uno quiere mejorar su drone y para poder actualizar sea tan complicado por lo menos para las personas que no entendemos ,

So yeah, starting up this box of delights again.............

Went and purchased a 2nd green cube (damn you upgrade addiction!). It's in the mail! (By the way, please don't rob my mailbox...)
Anyway, thinking of keeping it on Ice until the open solo comes to fruition, after all, seems to be the best and least headache inducing way of upgrading. But I shall stare at it in anticipation.... plus it's a nice color...

ok, got my GC today and installed it, followed this instructions from Matt: 3DR Solo - Initial ArduCopter Install Using Solex — Copter documentation
everything seemed fine, but now solo has some problems...
i get following error in Solex: prearm: check firmware or frame_class
when i get a sat fix i hit fly and nothing happens, also manual with throttle up does nothing....
controller also says that there is no gimbal.... controller paddle has no function

thought that the parameters are not correct and loaded the ArduCopter 3.5.2 Parameters in Solex again (after resetting them) but with no luck

is it possible to set SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 with the greencube ?
or can i just go straight to Open Solo ?

don´t want to mess more up than it is now.

Reactions: tinker bot
ok, got my GC today and installed it, followed this instructions from Matt: 3DR Solo - Initial ArduCopter Install Using Solex — Copter documentation
everything seemed fine, but now solo has some problems...
i get following error in Solex: prearm: check firmware or frame_class
when i get a sat fix i hit fly and nothing happens, also manual with throttle up does nothing....
controller also says that there is no gimbal.... controller paddle has no function

thought that the parameters are not correct and loaded the ArduCopter 3.5.2 Parameters in Solex again (after resetting them) but with no luck

is it possible to set SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 with the greencube ?
or can i just go straight to Open Solo ?

don´t want to mess more up than it is now.
Honestly (and get other peoples more experienced knowledge first) I messed up one of my birds and effectively grounded it after trying to upgrade to the greencube. Went and put the GC into a 2nd bird, that got messed up too. Posted the logs here and I was told the parameters didn't upload/weren't uploaded properly. So was instructed on how to fix that and then found the smart shots weren't working (but the bird did fly). Still, had a few issues now and again like finding sats, getting a lock, but bird wouldn't arm up or take off (just got a beeping sounds when hitting FLY).

So when open solo came along, I loaded that up to the bird currently carrying the GC. Worked like a charm! No issues, bird fully functional. I also uploaded open solo to my grounded bird, fixed that one completely too!

So for me, going straight to open solo fixed a heck of a lot of problems on two birds and it was handier than logging into the bird, uploading files via winscp and then trying to fix setting with mission planner.

Now got three birds running open solo with no issues, 2 are stock, one uses a greencube and I have a second GC on the way.

Yep, up and flying with open Solo !
checked gimbal, flight modes, smart shots, everything smooth :)

thx, to Matt and the ardupilot devs, next mission will be the optical flow/lidar, saw that on a dji spark and it is the way to go for rockstable shots !

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
This was outstanding!!!! It put out a lot of information straight from the source. I’m going to wait for everyone to get a “ kitchen-pass” from your wives so we can have a conference/ convention!! I’m thinking Vegas, San Francisco or New Zealand!?
Let me know when and where I should book my flight and hotel accommodations.

This was outstanding!!!! It put out a lot of information straight from the source. I’m going to wait for everyone to get a “ kitchen-pass” from your wives so we can have a conference/ convention!! I’m thinking Vegas, San Francisco or New Zealand!?
Let me know when and where I should book my flight and hotel accommodations.
How about Florida? That's where Drone Worship resides, He put this together and did a great Job very cool dude and great attitude I really like this guy, plus I live down here also tee-hee... But yeah sounds real cool... Florida weather is great in the winter btw.....

Last edited:
I have a brother in Florida, good excuse to go see him... Mind you, if you have it in Portland, I do have a lot of home brew that needs drinking (want to free up the bottles to make a thick stout for the winter).

Damn!!! That’s the kind of bait that could get Pedals2Paddles interested!! When you watch his new video on the Green Cube / Open Solo.... his beer is within arms reach!

I was sorta kidding when I first said a Solo Conference/ Convention... but the more I think about it, wouldn’t it be cool to see what others have done with their drones including updates, modifications and customization.

I'm *really* interested in the Flying AP controller/bird flip-flop discussed in the video. Have searched, can't find any posts related to it, though P2P said it had already been done by someone on the forums...

I just found the latest install procedures for the GC 2.1

First thing's first, you done bad by a factory reset with GC installed, You done Good by knowing how to get back to factory setting properly.

Make sure you have latest updates offered by 3DR, then proceed to install your GC 2.1

Update python files:
Before doing anything else, you must load the new python files onto the Solo's companion computer. This can be loaded with the Solex app's firmware update function really easily with a few clicks! Select the IMX Python Files package. If it it says "available", Solex will download it. Once it says "downloaded, click the file and select install. When prompted, power cycle the solo. The files are compiled on reboot.

Now, You can reinstall your GC. It's gets easier the second time around Go back to video if you need help with install of H/W

After GC installed, power Solo up as usual. After a short while, the Solo will reconnect with the controller as usual. It will probably give you all kinds of warnings about calibration. This is normal and expected.

Now, Load the firmware and parameters using Solex.
Read the notice and select install. All the files will be copied to the Solo.

1st: ArduCopter_35-RC_8_Firnware.zip
2nd: ArduCopter_35-RC_8_params,zip

When prompted, power cycle the Solo. It will reboot, then switch into bootloader mode.
Process can take several minutes to update.

With the Solex app reconnected to the Solo, click the Reset Params button on the firmware update screen of Solex. When prompted, power cycle Solo.
The Solo will reboot and reconnect to the controller and apps.

Installation done!

Open Solex & run all Sliders Speed, Altitude all sliders from min. to max. then set slider to your preference
These sliders make changes to the parameters. Running the sliders up and down ensure those parameters are set the way they should be.

Calibrations:
Once all of this done, you will need to do a level calibration and a compass calibration. As of today, only the 3DR Solo app can do these functions.

In Solo app from 3DR
Calibrate Level
Any Cal. level surface will do.

Calibrate compass
for best results, You need to be in a open area open field or open park with no obstruction or tress within 150ft.

You're all ready

If you run in to something not addressed above, then go here to see the long version of instruction above
Can you tell me what the Wipe Pixhawk Firmware.zip is for

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421