Yup you were seeing that in real time your solo thinks its upside down also it doesn't know what frame type it is as in a quad, also I see a roll issue and once everything is squared away you can then do a successful compass and level calibration, no way will the solo fly that way...somehow either the file is corrupted or installation went awry Paddles????

Last edited:
So since I know three things about Mission Planner (it required an update of Windows 10 to get working, how to install it, and don't use it to download log files!) how do I fix the issue? (Hint, this is where you say "Oh it's really really simple and easy to do!"). Really appreciate the help, nothing worse than a grounded bird... (well ok, there's LOTS of worse things, but why bring up leprosy here?)

Reactions: XevetS
So since I know three things about Mission Planner (it required an update of Windows 10 to get working, how to install it, and don't use it to download log files!) how do I fix the issue? (Hint, this is where you say "Oh it's really really simple and easy to do!"). Really appreciate the help, nothing worse than a grounded bird... (well ok, there's LOTS of worse things, but why bring up leprosy here?)
Gonna have to let paddles chime in, I was able to easily invert the AHRS which is the orientation of the pixhawk, also the frame type was easy to address but I was never able to figure out the roll issue and could also not calibrate correctly, I'm sure Paddles will Know whats up, I.E. what we might of done wrong during installation...
Are you near Portland testing this?

Aye, I'm in Portland, work live and get drunk there (but not while flying or driving because that would be evil). I'm pretty sure I wasn't upside down when I installed the PixHawk, so doubt that's the issue... OK, so Orientation and Frame type need to be fixed. That one I get. What's the roll issue? It sounds like things aren't level? Wait, when I pulled those logs, the solo was in the car on the back seat, not level ground. Should I have pulled the logs outside on level ground away from everything metal?

I'm pretty sure you can have the solo in any orientation when pulling logs, as far as the roll issue it sounds like the controller roll is not calibrated correctly or this could also be a bad parameter setting in the RC_ROLL but I'm not an expert at this so best if we wait till the experts chime in..

I'm pretty sure you can have the solo in any orientation when pulling logs, as far as the roll issue it sounds like the controller roll is not calibrated correctly or this could also be a bad parameter setting in the RC_ROLL but I'm not an expert at this so best if we wait till the experts chime in..
No worries, looking forward to getting this resolved and seeing where the heck things went wrong. Hope you get your bird in the air too, looks awesome BTW.

Reactions: XevetS
Hey thanks man I'm sure you will get it resolved, I reverted my bird back to arducopter master 1.2 and it flies once again, but its kinda scary with those spinning blades of death, The 3dr solo is in my opinion an excellent drone and no doubt the best bang for your buck despite all the haters.. I've got 2 of them also, one camera solo and one experimental solo they both work great.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
The whole thing is at defaults, which means you haven't loaded the parameter file yet. Which is why everything AFU and upside down. I presume you have installed the Green Cube and the 3.5-RC firmware based on what I see in the logs.

If you go through these instructions (SoloScripts/Initial_Install_Other.md at master · ArduPilot/SoloScripts · GitHub), you'll get yourself caught up now. The full production version ArduCopter 3.5.0 has been released since you started. So you should download the new zip file with all the new goodies. Pick up at step 11 in the instructions since I think that's where you're at. Note the mission planner information at the top of the instructions if you haven't already.

The whole thing is at defaults, which means you haven't loaded the parameter file yet. Which is why everything AFU and upside down. I presume you have installed the Green Cube and the 3.5-RC firmware based on what I see in the logs.

If you go through these instructions (SoloScripts/Initial_Install_Other.md at master · ArduPilot/SoloScripts · GitHub), you'll get yourself caught up now. The full production version ArduCopter 3.5.0 has been released since you started. So you should download the new zip file with all the new goodies. Pick up at step 11 in the instructions since I think that's where you're at. Note the mission planner information at the top of the instructions if you haven't already.
Thank you sir! I honestly thought I had uploaded the parameters file (before swapping out the pixhawk for the 2.1) but I obviously messed up somewhere. I'm printing these out, getting the updated files and I'll upload and let you know how it works out.

Thanks for all the help!

See I told You Paddles would know whats up... Thanks Matt...
Thank you sir! I honestly thought I had uploaded the parameters file (before swapping out the pixhawk for the 2.1) but I obviously messed up somewhere. I'm printing these out, getting the updated files and I'll upload and let you know how it works out.

Thanks for all the help!
Well there you go, This is why my setup would not work I could of sworn I loaded the param file correctly through Solex,

Last edited:
OK problem, mission planner has all options listed in configuration except for full parameters and standard parameters. So no option to reset to default.

Look at the Mission Planner information at the top of the instructions. It will tell you how to enable that.

Also, anything you did before the cube swap has long been overwritten. You're basically starting over.

So will all the smart shots (python files) still be there? Or is that a challenge for another day? Ok, READ how to enable the advance modes, now I'll continue...

I forget, did you do a factory reset? If so, the python file were overwritten and need to load those. It's ok that you didn't do it yet, no need to start over again. But you need to do it now.

I forget, did you do a factory reset? If so, the python file were overwritten and need to load those. It's ok that you didn't do it yet, no need to start over again. But you need to do it now.
No I didn't do a factory reset (thought that was a no no with the green cube installed). However it seems the smart shots aren't working. Can these be uploaded with win scp or mp? Or is it a case of taking the gc out, putting back in the stock pixhawk and starting all over again?

What do you mean "the smart shots aren't working"? Where are you at in the instructions? You can load the python files at any time with WinSCP. But I'm not sure what you're talking about at this point.

Sorry for not being clear. I started at step 11 and went from there. Stunning success! Bird is now flying and compass calibrated just fine. However tried to use one of the smart shots and nothing happened (selfie, about the only thing I have room to try here). Worked before so I think it's a problem with the python files not uploaded properly. I'll try uploading those with winscp tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help, I'm pretty stoked to have that bird flying again!

Selfie is not one of the shots that was changed. However, Selfie is and has been broken and dysfunctional for about a year now. 3DR broke it and never fixed it. So Selfie not working is not really something that surprises me. Although usually it "works" but ends up pointing somewhere else. Try the other shots.

Aye, had the same experience with that shot, solo would fly up and away while looking nowhere near the subject regardless of framing beforehand. Still, choosing it would get the drone to fly away to a predetermined distance, not happening this time though, drone just hovers in air. Will bring drone to field tomorrow, try other smart shots there before I try and upload of the python files. Thanks again!

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
This is the step I missed

Load Solo Parameters: Connect with Mission Planner. Go to Config/Tuning > Full Parameter List. Click the load from filebutton. Select and load the Solo parameters file (*.param) from the zip you downloaded earlier. Once the file loads, you'll probably see a lot parameter boxes in Mission Planner turn green, which is normal. Next, press the Write Params button. Mission Planner will write all the new parameters to the Pixhawk. Once it is complete, you can disconnect and close Mission Planner. Power cycle the Solo. It will reboot and reconnect to the controller.

I don't even remember it being there guess I'm losing it in my old age?

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig