Reaction score
My solo lost GPS signal when I pressed the RTH button and it was in my line of sight thank god I wasn't over water it went haywire flipped and crashed what is the best satellite or GPS to get in flight

When you say it flipped and crashed, did that happen on the ground or in the air? Losing GPS does not cause the aircraft to flip over. It switches to manual mode, and you have control. Many people get into trouble because they don't practice flying in manual, and they don't practice landing in manual. If it flipped on the ground while you were landing, it is quite likely simple pilot error and that is overcome by practice.

The GPS it has is perfectly fine. I suggest buying the updated RFI shield from 3DR for the GPS, which will help it get and hold a lock much better than it does now. And just remember there are locations with poor GPS coverage. Surrounding terrain, trees, and buildings can block a good GPS signal. And consequently, those are the worst areas for a beginner to fly in manual.

I have done the cardboard modification on the solo this loss of GPS signal happened when I pressed the RTH button it went haywire when I did this it tried to correct but as it got closer to the ground it flipped have sent in a support ticket waiting for a reply

Can you be a little more specific than "haywire"? Also, if you're familiar with downloading the logs, please download and post them.

Not familiar with download on logs but the craft tilted in the sky and was uncontrollable it this happened when I pressed the RTH button and then as it was trying to come. Home it flipped over and crashed I have modified GPS with a small piece of cardboard

Yes that's a new thing that's what it said rewind I never heard that before what's that ???

I'll let someone else explain Rewind as I have never used it but I believe to Rewind or to RTH you MUST have GPS lock - or the Solo will simply be in Fly Manual mode. In that case you must have practiced and be able to in fact, Fly Manual on your own.

At any rate, assuming that the Solo was reassembled correctly and the cable(s) pushed in and tight, there is NOTHING wrong with the cardboard mod and everyone who has done that mod gets improved GPS - including myself.

From what you describe I'm not certain that you lost GPS, or if you did, the Solo reacquired GPS. That may mean the area is not conducive for flying by GPS OR I believe it could mean an intermittent or loose cable. Regardless, folks here can help diagnose the issue, but need specifics stating exact symptoms in proper terms. In the end, I suspect that only the log files will tell you specifically what happened during your flight - but cardboard had no specific role in itself, except a potentially improved GPS signal and lock.

When flying in GPS mode, I Fly just as soon as the controller says that it's okay to do so - 7 satellites I believe. However, you MUST remain cognizant of your surroundings (overhanging trees, low between tall buildings, etc.)

-Another Female Flier-

i did the cardboard mod, soon i heard about it and it improved my GPS lock, and now i have the new shield installed and thats even better. i acquire GPS really fast. but if you say it lost GPS, then hitting the RTH button wouldn't do anything because RTH requires GPS... as well as REWIND. so i would definitely say download the log files, and let these guys take a look

Yes I will take it out and fly unless i know what I did wrong with this flight so I can correct any mistakes

The rewind feature flies Solo backwards on the exact path it was taking for 60 feet (hence the name rewind), and then regular RTH kicks in at that point where it raises Solo to the set RTH altitude and then proceeds to come home. The 60 feet is adjustable, but you can only adjust the parameter with the 2.4 app on iOS right now until Android 2.4 is released.

The reason why they added this is because there is a good chance that if signal loss occurs between the controller and Solo that it is because it is behind some object blocking the signal. So solo will retrace its steps to get clear of that obstruction over the exact same path it took to get there because that is most likely a good path since it flew it previously moments ago without crashing.

You can exit out of rewind/cancel it by just pressing HOME a second time, assuming you have signal.

Geez that's what happen I pressed RTH and then it said rewind manual and then it spun around in midair looked all out of balance and then it flipped upside down and landed upside down the app then said crashed detected never before have I seen it like that it was in my line of sight now I am too scared to take it out because I don't know what it is going to do I only damaged the blades as the prop guards saved the motors I believe and it turned it self off

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The rewind feature flies Solo backwards on the exact path it was taking for 60 feet (hence the name rewind), and then regular RTH kicks in at that point where it raises Solo to the set RTH altitude and then proceeds to come home. The 60 feet is adjustable, but you can only adjust the parameter with the 2.4 app on iOS right now until Android 2.4 is released.

The reason why they added this is because there is a good chance that if signal loss occurs between the controller and Solo that it is because it is behind some object blocking the signal. So solo will retrace its steps to get clear of that obstruction over the exact same path it took to get there because that is most likely a good path since it flew it previously moments ago without crashing.

You can exit out of rewind/cancel it by just pressing HOME a second time, assuming you have signal.

This is what happened when I pressed the return to Home button

This is what happened when I pressed the return to Home button
It's looks like the wind caught the protectors. I've seen on here someone say something about those protectors being able to catch the wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc