Near experience fly away.

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently I've flown a solo with Rev A GPS so I took it to my nearest park to test fly my 2nd Solo. I done a compass calibration and level on the spot the solo didn't perform as well as the mRo GPS u-Blox but it was flyable, the solo returned home as expected but not as smooth as mt first solo. I left went home then I thought I should re test in my back yard so when I fired up the solo the GPS count was going from 9 to 7 back from 7 to 9 I should have known better, I pressed the fly button took off gently the solo was drifting bad left and right all over the place I ran up to it and held the solo down on the concrete floor so stop it from hitting the brick wall by doing that I sacrificed my thumb by cutting it into 3 places. What could have caused this? could it be the big fluctuations with the GPS count? could it be a wifi interference? I just cant seem to figure out what might of caused this weird flight behaviour. On my first solo with the : mRo GPS u-Blox I never experienced such issue though I never would have thought the Rev A GPS would be that dangerous. Any experienced users could tell me about this bizarre behaviour I experienced I will appreciate it. Luckily no one else was next to me thank god for that though the thumb did get slaughtered.

Sounds like a poor gps signal when solo was trying to hold in a stable position.

I've experienced the same in my backyard where I have a 2 story house, a deck and trees enclosing a small area of grass. Solo will not hold in a stable position because it has a poor gps signal. It moves side to side or up and down about 1.5 to 2 meters. This is where knowing how to fly in manual mode comes in handy.

When solo becomes erratic in positioning it's best to not grab it. Rather use the controller first to force landing or disarm if possible if you are not experienced with manual mode.

Sorry to hear about your thumb, I hope it heals quickly.

Reactions: nezumi
Sounds like a poor gps signal when solo was trying to hold in a stable position.

I've experienced the same in my backyard where I have a 2 story house, a deck and trees enclosing a small area of grass. Solo will not hold in a stable position because it has a poor gps signal. It moves side to side or up and down about 1.5 to 2 meters. This is where knowing how to fly in manual mode comes in handy.

When solo becomes erratic in positioning it's best to not grab it. Rather use the controller first to force landing or disarm if possible if you are not experienced with manual mode.

Sorry to hear about your thumb, I hope it heals quickly.

Thanks for the kind reply. It happened to quickly and my backyard being small I had no time to think so I quickly ran to try stop it so the motor pods don't get damaged by hitting the back of the brick walls. I have set my A button to Stabilise and B to manual. I think its best not to fly in narrow places in the first place. The sky was clear from any objects it was a sunny day no clouds at all I even flew the first solo with the GPS upgrade at no issues in the backyard the 2nd solo was fluctuating as I think that's what have might caused it . I just put an order for the : mRo GPS u-Blox and the new shield for my 2nd solo. Better be safe than sorry.

Likely the GPS signal was bouncing off the walls giving an echo that confused the bird with conflicting info.

Reactions: skyhax
Narrow spaces [especially those composed of rock or masonry] are notorious for outrageous Dilution of Precision [HDOP/VDOP] numbers due to multipathing and restricted angular view of the sky.\

Number of satellites is not the metric you should look at. HDOP is in my opinion a much more important number

Could it have also been a high interference area for WiFi? My backyard has spots where my control signal fights against my own WiFi and the neighbors, and I can lose control in those spots every time, with Return to Home initiated faithfully. I'm a a WLAN engineer, still took a few of these incidents and some verification with my work gear to verify. But I can repeat now pretty much at will in those spots.

1st mistake: Rev A GPS
2nd mistake: Not switching to manual mode and landing
3rd mistake: Using your thumb to stop the blades (the face works so much better, you can post the pics and chicks dig scars...)

My solo is fantastic 10ft up or more in the air. However when I come down to land, I'm surrounded by tall tree's and I got a hillside to my back. This means that below 10ft, my solo will drift sideways, try to trim the tree's... so I just switch to manual when landing and there's no issues (other than overgrown tree's..). Poor GPS is a fact of life and with a Rev A, wow, that's going to cause headaches.

In a non related bit of weirdness, I can't get a TV signal at the house at all. Used a standard antenna, a super duper long range 50 mile antenna and an outdoor 100 mile antenna. Still get nothing.... except... if I go into the corner of the kitchen with my laptop and use a tiny little antenna that came with the USB tv tuner. In that one corner I can pick up 5 digital TV stations. Not exactly a great way to watch TV if I wan't to cut the chord...

Coffee's kicking in BTW....

Reactions: backcountryice
Could it have also been a high interference area for WiFi? My backyard has spots where my control signal fights against my own WiFi and the neighbors, and I can lose control in those spots every time, with Return to Home initiated faithfully. I'm a a WLAN engineer, still took a few of these incidents and some verification with my work gear to verify. But I can repeat now pretty much at will in those spots.
Just another thought to stop flyaway's. I found the following two options to work 100% of the time, however since it's been a while, I'm not sure if there's still any options available, but there may still be some of these available on ebay. These both attach directly to the drone to prevent flyaways.

Recover Operations Pairing Equipment.
This is a very robust piece of equipment and can stand up to very varied flight conditions. However it is quite heavy and can interfere with flight characteristics and possibly be a battery drain.

There's also the Static Tether Recovery Instrument Negotiation Gizmo. This one is a lot more light weight and doesn't seem to have any battery drain issues whatsoever. I believe it offers more range than the fore-mentioned system while being a lot more versatile.

Given a choice over the two I think as an anti flyaway device, I'd like the robustness of R.O.P.E. but prefer the versatility of S.T.R.I.N.G.

Reactions: Wetstone
In a non related bit of weirdness, I can't get a TV signal at the house at all. Used a standard antenna, a super duper long range 50 mile antenna and an outdoor 100 mile antenna. Still get nothing.... except... if I go into the corner of the kitchen with my laptop and use a tiny little antenna that came with the USB tv tuner. In that one corner I can pick up 5 digital TV stations. Not exactly a great way to watch TV if I wan't to cut the chord...

Coffee's kicking in BTW....

I expect you've got signal multipathing going on. 5th Gen and later receiver ICs do MUCH better when coping with Multipath. You may also try a rejection screen behind the antenna if you have multiple transmitters in the area.

Try this site

DTV Reception Maps

for a signal strength report and then each station should have much more info if you hover over it.

Also helpful: TV Fool

Also, for those interested in a little amazing DIY antenna building : DIY TV Antennas 4 bays, 2 bays, Kits and more

Last edited:
Also make sure your feed wire from antenna is good, that it's not so long you need an amplifier, and that if you have an amplifier it actually works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig