The worst has happened - battery died mid-air, Solo plummeted into the ocean

FWIW, I dropped my Solo into the ocean (pilot error) about 1000 feet off shore in 20 feet of water. Swam out 3 days later with a snorkel and GPS, and found it pretty easily. It was actually only about 10 feet away from the last GPS position, which is amazing (or lucky) given the position error.

The Solo is pretty heavy, so it might not move much with the tide.

FWIW, I dropped my Solo into the ocean (pilot error) about 1000 feet off shore in 20 feet of water. Swam out 3 days later with a snorkel and GPS, and found it pretty easily. It was actually only about 10 feet away from the last GPS position, which is amazing (or lucky) given the position error.

The Solo is pretty heavy, so it might not move much with the tide.
Now that's a happy ending. Nova Scotia's waters are too cold to snorkel

Now that's a happy ending. Nova Scotia's waters are too cold to snorkel

Oh, come on, where's your spirit of adventure? Humans can survive for up to 15 minutes in 0 degree water. That should be long enough to find your drone. ;)

But seriously, what I was hoping to convey was that the last GPS position might not be too far off the actual location, and depending on the force of the tides, it may also stay in the same place for quite some time.

Reactions: Travelfox and DJMc
So sorry for your loss! I am enamored with water, so I fly over it a lot. When I shot footage of my parent's pontoon boat, I was too scared to launch off the boat. I launched from the shore to get the boat footage in case a RTH occurred. I almost lost my favorite drone because I miscalculated the battery I needed to return. I landed on "fumes" with the all kinds of alarms going off on the drone. I always dump my footage to a PC at the end of the day because I love reviewing what has been captured.

I'm planning a trip to Maine in October and anticipate flying along the shore. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I will look into getting one of those recovery devices too.

As far as recovering your drone, a wet suit will keep you surprisingly warm in cold water and they can be rented at dive shops. Of course if its over 15' deep, you will likely need tanks and dive gear. If I lived closer, I would be happy to dive it for you because I am open water certified and can rent tanks. But, alas, Kentucky is pretty far away. :(

Reactions: Travelfox
Wenn lost. Most it not return automatically.?
It does return automatically when the signal between the remote and the Solo drops. But this time, everything just froze - no "Lost Signal" on the screen, no battery level, no red bars and a frozen view.

Oh, come on, where's your spirit of adventure? Humans can survive for up to 15 minutes in 0 degree water. That should be long enough to find your drone. ;)

But seriously, what I was hoping to convey was that the last GPS position might not be too far off the actual location, and depending on the force of the tides, it may also stay in the same place for quite some time.
Brrrr!!! I know exactly where it dropped (gps, the frozen view on my screen and my friends right there watching it) it's just where I live so I keep going back looking for it...

So sorry for your loss! I am enamored with water, so I fly over it a lot. When I shot footage of my parent's pontoon boat, I was too scared to launch off the boat. I launched from the shore to get the boat footage in case a RTH occurred. I almost lost my favorite drone because I miscalculated the battery I needed to return. I landed on "fumes" with the all kinds of alarms going off on the drone. I always dump my footage to a PC at the end of the day because I love reviewing what has been captured.

I'm planning a trip to Maine in October and anticipate flying along the shore. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I will look into getting one of those recovery devices too.

As far as recovering your drone, a wet suit will keep you surprisingly warm in cold water and they can be rented at dive shops. Of course if its over 15' deep, you will likely need tanks and dive gear. If I lived closer, I would be happy to dive it for you because I am open water certified and can rent tanks. But, alas, Kentucky is pretty far away. :(
That's is very nice of you to offer. Have you been to Nova Scotia ? A lot like Maine but a lot more friendlier. Come visit! :)

That's is very nice of you to offer. Have you been to Nova Scotia ? A lot like Maine but a lot more friendlier. Come visit! :)

I have never been! One day when I'm not so tied down by my job and family I would love to visit. Will let you know!

Yeah, you lost your Solo, but look on the bright side - you get to live in such a beautiful area!

I rode my motorcycle up there a few years ago, and loved it. I dive too, and am closer than Kentucky (I'm in NY), but that's still a haul. Like I said, ask around for local divers, I think almost anyone would be happy to dive looking for it for the cost of an air fill and a boat ride out. And maybe a 6 pack if they're successful.

Not sure who I'm replying to honestly ... but about retrieving the GoPro, whether a Hero 3 or 4 ... as far as I know you can't have the waterproof housing on either while connected to the Solo gimbal ... so if it's in a deep spot, days later, what could you possibly hope to get back from it? Maybe the sim card? I'm just asking. Will the sim still be usable?

Not sure who I'm replying to honestly ... but about retrieving the GoPro, whether a Hero 3 or 4 ... as far as I know you can't have the waterproof housing on either while connected to the Solo gimbal ... so if it's in a deep spot, days later, what could you possibly hope to get back from it? Maybe the sim card? I'm just asking. Will the sim still be usable?
I think it's the videos on the SD card, that's the main aim. SD cards, even standard ones, are pretty tough.

Last edited:
View media item 686You obviosly do not live near a habitat where Dragonflies grow to a large size. In late August, and September you will see large dragonflies feasting on mosquitos in swarms. I am surprised we don't use bats and dragonflies to reduce the mosquito population around here. Instead they spray with toxic pesticide and kill more than just mosquitos. When my wife an I went to the BCRCC airfield yesterday I took these pictures just to show you how large dragonflies are up here, and how they fly in swarms. Just the fact that I could get a decent shot like this with the cheap camera I keep in my Wrangler indicates there were hundreds of dragonflies flying around us.
I think it's cool. Dragonflies feast on mosquitos. The more bats and dragonflies in the area the less mosquitos. Too bad they don't eat horseflies because they were biting and that's the only nuisance that limited me to 3 flights. Next time I fly there I'll be dressed for it.
Hopefully the praying mantis population will grow there. They eat horseflies.

Last edited:
Hi, yeah, IF it's still readable. Like I mentioned here, sim cards have been known to survive prolonged periods in (salt) water. Not a personal experience, but have read and heard some stories about people finding them and the photos/videos still uploadable. From the beginning I know the bird, the gopro, the gimbal are all unsalvageable. If I were able to fish it out sooner, I could've at least saved the videos. At this point, I've made my peace. Thanks for the reply.

The VERDICT is in... It was a brown out.
And I guess the GoPro is out of the question? I think a long o_O time ago they used to, didn't they?

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 6.58.27 PM.png
Also, wanna take the opportunity to thank everyone for the replies, it helps to talk about it. Next step, I don't think I'm going to replace my setup, I still have backup Solos and will just buy a GoPro and a gimbal.

What leads to a brown out condition ? Was it raining ? Ultra high humidity ? Defective voltage regulator ? Defective battery ? I have flown Solo #1 about 56 times already... I have 4 batteries. I have never lossed power, I always hit my RTL entry point (above landing site)at 400ft with at least 30% charge left.

Some of the most common factors have been wifi card upgrades and stock ESCs
Just about anything can cause it though, bad solder connections for example, bad battery connection etc

Regarding the stock ESCs failure. Did it just occurred with the older firmware ?

Solo #1 has logged @ 56 flights. No issues. I guess it's fine. Solo #2 only has one flight. I am going to be flying both in a swarm with Mission Planner. Maybe I log more flights on Solo #2 to prove it's stable first.

No, it is all solo firmwares, though it happening is rare it does happen. The only way to fully escape it is to replace the flight controller

What leads to a brown out condition ? Was it raining ? Ultra high humidity ? Defective voltage regulator ? Defective battery ? I have flown Solo #1 about 56 times already... I have 4 batteries. I have never lossed power, I always hit my RTL entry point (above landing site)at 400ft with at least 30% charge left.
Wish I knew the answer so I can be better prepared next time. If you check the original post, you'll see how clear and beautiful the day was. Nice and bright, clear skies, no humidity. Again I was flying with more than 50% power and started with a full charge.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40