The gimbal video thread

OK, here is my frst gimbal entry :) Toiletbowl posted it in another thread, but I figured I would post it here.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is taken in a few hours with 3 batteries, on a Hero 4 Black, with a PEAU 5.44 lens, ND8 filter, Circular Polarizer, and was Shot in 4K W, then rendered down to 1080. Didn't spend any time in post other than cutting down clips, centering a couple really off shots, and using a template for adding transitions, titles, and stock music. No level/color correction or stabilization.

Solo has balanced props and gel mod on the main board, and GPS, with only FPVLR antenna added.

A few Cable Cams, a Selfie (Kayak), but I forgot my Nexus (dough...) so I had no GPS on the (borrowed) tablet and couldn't do Follow Me. Nothing really cool to orbit, and didn't do anything in Tower other than notifications.

Raining now, and just off vacation so a bit swamped, but will try to find good location/subjects for Orbit, Follow Me, and possibly Tower next time, then spend a little time in post.

The question is when... *sigh*
Awesome job Earl. Really enjoyed that. Thanks..

It is taken in a few hours with 3 batteries, on a Hero 4 Black, with a PEAU 5.44 lens, ND8 filter, Circular Polarizer, and was Shot in 4K W, then rendered down to 1080. Didn't spend any time in post other than cutting down clips, centering a couple really off shots, and using a template for adding transitions, titles, and stock music. No level/color correction or stabilization.
The 4K bitrate looks to have struggled with the motion of the water and blocked out a lot of detail, it'd be interesting to see 2.7k in future instead. At least this proves the 5.4mm GoPro lens keeps the props/legs out of shot.

The 4K bitrate looks to have struggled with the motion of the water and blocked out a lot of detail, it'd be interesting to see 2.7k in future instead. At least this proves the 5.4mm GoPro lens keeps the props/legs out of shot.
Or are we just seeing that on YouTube? Does Earl have a fast enough SD card? (U3)

If an SD card wasn't fast enough you'd get a write failure. It's a known issue on the GoPro and Inspire that the bitrate of 60Mb/s is too low for decent 4K with lots of motion in.

OK, here is my frst gimbal entry :) Toiletbowl posted it in another thread, but I figured I would post it here.

Solo has balanced props and gel mod on the main board, and GPS, with only FPVLR antenna added.

A few Cable Cams, a Selfie (Kayak), and some manual work, but I forgot my Nexus (dough...) so I had no GPS on the (borrowed) tablet and couldn't do Follow Me. Nothing really cool to orbit, and didn't do anything in Tower other than notifications.

Raining now, and just off vacation so a bit swamped, but will try to find good location/subjects for Orbit, Follow Me, and possibly Tower next time, then spend a little time in post.

Looks good, are you controlling Solo from the boat that you are following?

I actually think that was YouTube... I have seen that before. Played on my workstation it is smooth and holds detail. I will find out next time, and might try pre-rendering it down to 1080 on my side first.

I actually think that was YouTube... I have seen that before. Played on my workstation it is smooth and holds detail. I will find out next time, and might try pre-rendering it down to 1080 on my side first.
What did you do when you exported the video, did you use a YouTube preset or did you set your own bitrate?

Oh got it, what FPV brand are you using for Solo, I would like to get that as well, I just don't know what to go for?
No goggles, just FPV on the tablet.. I made my own hood (some time back) from a couple plastic folders and gaffers tape. I was LOS to the Solo, but using the tablet for framing video shots.

Last edited:
Used "Highest Bitrate" which could also be the problem. I will control manually mext time...
I know in Premiere if you select the YouTube profiles, it's supposed to not try and recompress 1080p so I'd try that first. Or up it at a fixed high bitrate, say 50Mb/s and let YouTube compress it down and see how they look.

I noticed a bit of vibration on a few of the high speed, speedboat chase shots, then again using a 5.4mm lens you'll get more of that than a stock GoPro...

I know in Premiere if you select the YouTube profiles, it's supposed to not try and recompress 1080p so I'd try that first. Or up it at a fixed high bitrate, say 50Mb/s and let YouTube compress it down and see how they look.

I noticed a bit of vibration on a few of the high speed, speedboat chase shots, then again using a 5.4mm lens you'll get more of that than a stock GoPro...
Understood and agreed. Truthfully, I was pressed for time (hence forgetting the tablet) and it was a "family" thing, so limited time "on set" also. I used my turn to watch the boys swimming to do my tests :)

In another time and setting I will be a little more methodical all the way around :) I will also do some post as needed (stabilization, gamma, color. etc.).

I was just stoked to get the the gimbal, get it installed, and that it worked :)

OK, here is my frst gimbal entry :) Toiletbowl posted it in another thread, but I figured I would post it here. ND8 filter
Love it! Thanks for taking the time to edit this so nicely and for sharing. Makes me all the more excited in anticipation of getting a gimbal too. :) One minor suggestion... an ND8 might be a little aggressive for the lighting conditions. Maybe a 4 would brighten it up a bit? Thanks again. Nice video.

Love it! Thanks for taking the time to edit this so nicely and for sharing. Makes me all the more excited in anticipation of getting a gimbal too. :) One minor suggestion... an ND8 might be a little aggressive for the lighting conditions. Maybe a 4 would brighten it up a bit? Thanks again. Nice video.
Agreed. Could have fixed in post also. Not lazy, just time starved on the video, and workstation, while thinking "gimbal" :)

could someone please tell me if it is possible to record the oive feed from the gopro to a Samsung Tablet, is it possible with the gimble?

Thank You

A few Cable Cams, a Selfie (Kayak), and some manual work, but I forgot my Nexus (dough...) so I had no GPS on the (borrowed) tablet and couldn't do Follow Me. Nothing really cool to orbit, and didn't do anything in Tower other than notifications.

Thanks for that buddy. Your video gave me confidence in using the 5.4mm for this setup. Looks good. No shake evident. I have the same lens with the supermount and the internal filters. Btw, did you send in your Gopro for the de-pink option? Colors look ok without edits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny