Solo Gimbal - Handheld conversion

Reaction score
What would be involved to take a Solo gimbal and make a hand held unit? It has a HDMI out as well as is 3 axis. What a great start. I have basic electronic knowledge.

Wish list...
Charge GoPro 4 Silver from power source
Wired HDMI to onboard monitor
Possibility to control pan and tilt. Wired and/or wirelessly
Possible control from wired buttons like start/stop record

Thank you for all your help. And please excuse any ignorance to the tech of this project. That is why I am seeking help before I toast something.

Materials I have
Various Rods and connectors for mounting
GoPro 4 Silver
HDMI Monitor
8 axis thumb joystick from radio shack. Game controller replacement type
Complete solo iris plus for parts including controller

Last edited:
Reactions: artsvdo
Why ruin this gimbal that we've all waited so long for? Just buy one already built.

Not ruining it. Besides, I have 3.
I don't imagine a way to make it handheld without tearing it down a bit. Other than mounting it to some kind of board or pole and just using the controller's tilt controls.

Reactions: Jesse
I don't imagine a way to make it handheld without tearing it down a bit. Other than mounting it to some kind of board or pole and just using the controller's tilt controls.
I want to use what I have available. I like projects, and challenges.

I want to use what I have available. I like projects, and challenges.
Did you see the video of the solo rig, it looks easily doable and may look kinda funny but that's the only route I see without making it unusable for solo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Guy makes some funny vids normally totally joking, but this one he says is working and I see no reason it would be hard to do something similar with what you have. He's a member here as well if you have any questions he posts in that thread a few times.

Welcome to the forum as well, great place to start for projects, questions or anything solo related.

Good luck and post what you come up with if ya don't mind.

Did you see the video of the solo rig, it looks easily doable and may look kinda funny but that's the only route I see without making it unusable for solo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Wow, that is crazy. Im actually wanting to make it small as possible. Thanks though. Very interesting.

I just got the email from DJI and their latest from the lab. Gotta say it's cool and from the video I saw looks like it's works well. Great if you're a DJI nut... But as we're all GoPro nuts (I am) I want something like our SOLO gimbal that works already with the GoPro in mind.

My choice after quite a bit of research is this wee thing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ442BY/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g421_i1_sh $299 great companion when you've got a dedicated GoPro on the SOLO and another for ground work and views!

What do you think?

Reactions: Jesse
I just got the email from DJI and their latest from the lab. Gotta say it's cool and from the video I saw looks like it's works well. Great if you're a DJI nut... But as we're all GoPro nuts (I am) I want something like our SOLO gimbal that works already with the GoPro in mind.

My choice after quite a bit of research is this wee thing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ442BY/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g421_i1_sh $299 great companion when you've got a dedicated GoPro on the SOLO and another for ground work and views!

What do you think?

Been using an earlier version of this for almost a year now. Just love this thing. I use it it situations were I can't fly a Drone by mounting it on 1 inch PVC pipe and putting it 15 feet in the air. Will be using it in downtown DC next month in a shoot. This baby rules!!

Reactions: emulsiondown
11889594_997606540289476_6545021654758333557_n.jpg
SO how should I direct wire the solo gimbal with a battery. This is the wiring from within the solo itself.
I at least want it to power on a separate battery to get started.

So here is a photo I snapped of the on board connector for the Solo Gimbal. I also have some custom milled parts for the handles I an working on. It has ball mounts for Mic, monitor and light if needed.

Attachments

• 20151010_213709.jpg
    20151010_213709.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20151010_214034.jpg
    20151010_214034.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
Reactions: artsvdo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads