Solo Gimbal - Handheld conversion

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse
image.jpeg I've got a line on one of these - it's owner bought it and two batts, took a flight course, had it shipped home - and never got the nerve to actually take it up! Getting it lock, stock and barrel (maybe and hopefully) for an absolute steal.
Anyhow! I figure Solo can be slung just slightly above pilots head in flight. "Inflight" video in the very literal sense of the word - endless possibilities: overnight cross-country filming/camping/exploration trips, sitting by the campfire in a farmer's back 40 come evening, roasting up a rabbit and planning tomorrow's route.... then making a Dawn Solo flight documenting the campsite from 200'.
Aargh! My head! I've been grounded waaay too long! Flying RC type is great - but can't match the real thing.
But - imagine both combined into one! Yessssss!

While at BestBuy the other day I saw a Yuneec Typhoon 4K Quadcopter. And it caught my eye, it was priced at $1,299.00.

They have a conversion for their gimbal to be handheld, for the GoPro. I really hope they sell it on the side, it is something that I would like to have.

Typhoon 4K | Yuneec – Electric Aviation is their own camera.

Typhoon G | Yuneec – Electric Aviation is with the GoPro

Or I wish 3DR would come out with a handheld gimbal...

While at BestBuy the other day I saw a Yuneec Typhoon 4K Quadcopter. And it caught my eye, it was priced at $1,299.00.

They have a conversion for their gimbal to be handheld, for the GoPro. I really hope they sell it on the side, it is something that I would like to have.

Typhoon 4K | Yuneec – Electric Aviation is their own camera.

Typhoon G | Yuneec – Electric Aviation is with the GoPro

Or I wish 3DR would come out with a handheld gimbal...
It would probably be cheaper to just buy one.. GoPro Gimbals

The thing that really intrigued me, was it allows for the phone, maybe tablet to be attached so you can see the video. But yeah, getting one just for the GoPro, would be good too.

My camera work sucks, while just standing.

View attachment 1562
SO how should I direct wire the solo gimbal with a battery. This is the wiring from within the solo itself.
I at least want it to power on a separate battery to get started.
Hey, Jesse. What's your latest update?

Are you able to find out what exactly are the functions of each wire going to the 8 pin gimbal plug? Knowing those would help in developing a powered board for getting the gimbal running on a hand grip.

I'd be fine with buying a gimbal from another brand that has already made some for the GoPro, but it would be much better to know that in case the gimbal fails on my Solo, I have a backup gimbal from a handheld one that I can simply replace.

It's this still a thing? I would love to mount a gimbal on a chesty or fetch go pro mount for mountain biking and all around dog shenanigans... at $39 these things are practically disposable right now. Why not make them hand held or mountable..?

Jesse this is a great idea how far did you get? Since we can get the gimbals now for $49.00.

Awesome! I've been thinking about this since the day I bought my spare gimbal. I have limited knowledge of how it's implemented on the Solo, but it was my inclination to believe some of the control logic was built into the IC board on the drone side--but then again, that would be an additional manufacturing expense that if I were going to build a drone that had an OPTIONAL gimbal, I'd try to put all the "brains" of the thing into the gimbal itself. It's be awesome if you could simply apply 5v to the gimbal and it kept axis stability. You wouldn't have the up and down control, but it may not be something you need. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea