Software Update - Version 2.4.0

After I update to 2.4.0. I noticed some issues.
- I use android devices ( Galaxy Note 3 with 5.0 and Galaxy tab S with 5.0.2.)
- when I start recording after 1min. I got a black screen but the camera is recording. I got video signal after I land.
MY Hero 4 is set on PAL with 1080 50fps, 90fps or 120fps. Gopro has last firmware.
Another thing my Gopro is freeze on 120fps or if I change on NTSC.
Someone with android 5.0 has this issues?

so here are my observations after 2.4 update (iOS).
waiting for the new User Manual reflecting new fucntionalities, but from what I've experienced so far, it's not all as we expected :

(1) RTL
- as already discussed, in your settings you can now select
Return to launch point, or Return to Me and for each of these 2 options you can select action by Solo taken when it reaches given location : either Land or Hover.

part of the RTL settings is the "Rewind" function where you have options to Enable or Disable rewind and to if Enabled you set max distance for Rewind which is between 0m to 100m.

So now the bad things about these new extra options :
a) upon pressing "Return Home" button on controller, Solo goes always into Rewind mode even when that one is disabled in my settings, and even when disabled and with previously set Max Rewind distance to 0m, Solo still goes into Rewind mode for about 5-10 seconds before it finally switches to Return to Home mode.
I don't know why this is, but it can lead to some unexpected behaviour - for example, you launch Solo in the air and lets say you hover 5m above your launch point, then if you press Return to Home (even with Rewind function disabled and Rewind distance set to 0m), Solo starts "rewinding" back for 5-10s, meaning it will retrace its flight up that point therefore flying into the ground (where the launch point was). Bad !

b) When selecting in settings Return to Me and Hover as the action after Return, we all assumed that Solo would come back to last known location of the Controller/Tablet and we assumed that in this mode "My" location is being updated dynamically. This is not the case. Solo doesn't register "My" location dynamically, it only registers "My" location for return If and only If I press the "Return to Home" button, only at the exact point in time when I press "Return to Home" button, Solo will register your current location as the new Home and flies to that location, so if you have in the meantime moved somewhere else (ie. driving car because I was doing Follow me smart shot), Solo will not come to me, unless I stop the car and press Return to Home again (after it went to back to Fly mode).
And remember that every time you press "Return to Home", Solo starts its "Rewind" procedure as explained above, even when that function is disabled in settings. (it looks bit silly actually, as you can imagine, your are in Follow me mode, Solo is following you and you press Return to Home, Solo puts on "brakes" and starts flying in reverse direction because it's "rewinding for 5-10 secs" then it finally starts returning to you, but in the meantime you have moved somewhere else and it doesn't know your new location, unless you press Return to Home again in which case it starts reversing because it goes again into Rewind mode). Bad !

c) When choosing "Hover" as an action to take after arriving to Home location, I didn't know at what altitude it would actually Hover and what actions it would take for example during loss of signal, or when battery goes flat.
Now I know - it will simply fall from the Sky (it will not attempt to land). Bad !
Altitude at which it arrives to Home point is your current altitude, unless you were under your Return to Home altitude in which case it first goes to whatever your Return to Home altitude is set in the settings, and it just sits there until the battery goes flat and falls down from the sky unless you land it before that actually happens.
As an example - your Return to Home altitude is set to 40m, you are currently flying at 20m altitude and you hit Return to Home, Solo will go up to 40m and come above the location exactly where you press the Return to Home button and it will sit at 40m above that location and do nothing else even when you reached critical battery level (10%), it will not attempt to land, if you leave it like that the Solo will eventually fall down from the sky when the battery goes flat (I didn't actually run the test this far, but I waiting till 5% and Solo was still at 40m high up, not attempting to land even then and I waited until 3% battery and then had to bring it down myself and landed with 1% left).
Ok, fine, you are still in control and you can land whenever you want, however if you lose Radio Signal for whatever reasons (controller battery goes flat, wi-fi interference - both of which I have experienced in the past) then Solo will simply stay at the current altitude (in this example 40m) and will sit there until battery goes flat and then I assume will just fall down from the sky. Bad !

d) Failsafe, not working as we assumed it would be with the new Return to Me mode. I was not brave enough to take a chance and switch of my controller when in Return to Me mode with action selected as "Hover" for the obvious reasons described above, so I changed the action to "Land" but left "Return to Me" mode. I launched the Solo, took Solo some 100m away and 20m high up and I walked another 100m away from Solo. Then I switched off my Controller. Solo did NOT come to "ME", it returned to the launch point actually and landed because my action was selected as "Land". The reason being - Solo doesn't know your new location unless you press Return to Home on controller, but when you switch off the controller then obviously you cannot then press Return to Home button, so in this case, the function is actually useless, or simply it's not there.
So obviously I don't want to test what would happen if my action selected was "Hover" in this scenario, but I can all but assume that in that case Solo would come to original launch point (instead to my location) and it would hover there at 40m or higher and if I didn't manage to regain the signal then Solo would eventually fall down from the sky when battery goes flat. Bad !

e) Launching without GPS lock, again here we assumed we could now safely launch with no GPS as Solo would regain new home point for return because we assumed this is updated dynamically, well it's not. You can only create new "Home" by pressing Return to home button on your controller and not in any other way.

2) Zipline smart shot
not much to say here, it works as advertised, except the "Altitude lock/unlock" option does not work.
There are 2 options you can set in your settings for Zipline : you can lock or unlock your altitude (there is on/off option) but either selection makes no difference. I assumed when altitude is unlocked that while flying in line I could manually adjust altitude, this doesn't work (as somebody above me already pointed out).
second option is to lock your target with camera - when locked then camera is locked to your target as you fly by; when unlocked then camera is pointing where you last left it, and in this case you can control tilt and yaw.
You press "A" button to lock the direction (that's where the camera is pointing) and then same as with Orbit or MPCC you have get arrow to click (for "play") and then controls << || >> (fly forward, pause or fly reverse/back) appear on your screen.

3) Pano - I'm quite pleased with this new smart shot.
3 options :
a) Cylinder
- it takes 8 shots
- you can select under options your Pan Angle (default is 220 degrees) and more importantly you can specify under options FOV of your lens ! very good ! so if you have an after market lens then you are just fine

b) Hemisphere
- it takes 15 shots, there are no options to set/change

c) Video Pan
- it takes video as the Solo is slowly turning around
- under options you can select Yaw Speed and again you can specify your lens FOV.

for a) and b) above you need to be in Photo mode, for c) you need to be in Video mode.

It would be good if anyone could verify my observations so far or otherwise report if you find something new or contradicting to what I'm reporting here.

Due to the behaviour mentioned above, I think it may be the safest for now, to leave your Return to Home set to "Launch" point and definitely action taken after arrival to home point as "Land".
Thanks for the detailed review Pete. Sounds like there are some serious bugs to be worked out in this version. I'm on Android, so can't check them out yet. Not sure why they couldn't simply implement the RTM feature as it is in Tower. Which is dynamically updating the HP as you move. That is how you would want it to work anyway. So to clarify what it does now; If you are in a vehicle moving and Solo failsafes, it's not going to matter where you are or if you chose RTM or RTH as Solo is going to return to launch point since you didn't update your position by hitting RTH? That makes no sense and defeats the purpose of RTM.

So to clarify what it does now; If you are in a vehicle moving and Solo failsafes, it's not going to matter where you are or if you chose RTM or RTH as Solo is going to return to launch point since you didn't update your position by hitting RTH?

yes, that's right, these are my observations so far.

of course there could be some hidden features that I don't know about (because they have not updated yet the User Manual) such as for example Pressing 2 specific buttons on your controller, or holding some button for 3 secs (I'm just making these up, right) that would switch Solo to dynamically updated HP but I doubt it.

In addition (and what seems to be even worse) is the fact that when you set your action to "Hover" (after RTH or RTM) then there are no failsafes at all, so in case of loss of signal Solo would actually return above launch point (even if your settings is set to "Me") and then it keeps on hovering at your RTH altitude. And if the battery goes below critical level, Solo will not initiate landing, it keeps on hovering.

And lastly, the Rewind procedure before RTH/RTM makes no sense. It's being enforced no matter what. It's being enforced even when my setting for that feature is OFF and even the distance set to 0m (options are between 0 to 100m).

Below is screenshot of the new Return Home options, "Rewind" is part of the RTH process.

IMG_0682.PNG

I think there is another type of Rewind that one can initiate at any time by holding "Pause" button for 3 seconds, I have not tried that one as I wasn't aware of it until few minutes ago reading about it elsewhere.

Reactions: Maddog
I have tried to download this update at least 5 times and every time it says " Download Failed"
I use an iPad mini 4 and my iPhone 6s Plus. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

I have tried to download this update at least 5 times and every time it says " Download Failed"
I use an iPad mini 4 and my iPhone 6s Plus. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem?
I have the same issue. Just restart the download. First I update the iPhone using a WiFi Internet connection, then I turn on the controller and the Solo, and switch the WiFi to the Solo. It should eventually work. I hope.

My problem has been that the controller won't turn off after the update; I have to remove the battery, and the power up again and then everything works.

yes, that's right, these are my observations so far.

of course there could be some hidden features that I don't know about (because they have not updated yet the User Manual) such as for example Pressing 2 specific buttons on your controller, or holding some button for 3 secs (I'm just making these up, right) that would switch Solo to dynamically updated HP but I doubt it.

In addition (and what seems to be even worse) is the fact that when you set your action to "Hover" (after RTH or RTM) then there are no failsafes at all, so in case of loss of signal Solo would actually return above launch point (even if your settings is set to "Me") and then it keeps on hovering at your RTH altitude. And if the battery goes below critical level, Solo will not initiate landing, it keeps on hovering.

And lastly, the Rewind procedure before RTH/RTM makes no sense. It's being enforced no matter what. It's being enforced even when my setting for that feature is OFF and even the distance set to 0m (options are between 0 to 100m).

Below is screenshot of the new Return Home options, "Rewind" is part of the RTH process.

View attachment 3627

I think there is another type of Rewind that one can initiate at any time by holding "Pause" button for 3 seconds, I have not tried that one as I wasn't aware of it until few minutes ago reading about it elsewhere.
where did you read about the 2nd rewind function, because i cant find details about rewind besides this
"Rewind

With the press of a button, Solo will retrace its exact path for the last 60 feet of your flight (this distance will be user-definable in the app) to ensure it avoids obstacles on its way back home."

and to me only 60 ft seems pretty useless to me.

edit: found a video on it
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
@pete , Thank you for this detailed review. I find their implementation of RTL/RTM to be extremely disappointing. My understanding is that Tower's RTM mode dynamically updates the home position. I've never had a reason to put Tower in RTM myself, but that's what everyone says it does. And I think that's what everyone assumed the Solo's implementation would do. It's also the perfectly reasonable assumption. Their implementation appears to suck. Although the biggest problem I see with it is lack of documentation. We should haven't be test dummies to figure how these failsafes work.

That's just the default, like the default height is 200 feet. There's a slider in there right under that setting that supposedly lets you change the distance.
ah my mistake misread it as up to 60ft totally my mistake

I wonder if they fixed it constantly cutting off with "maximum altitude reached" at 200ft regardless of the app being set for 400ft. Which they claimed to have fixed in the last update, but mine still does it all the time.

I wonder if they fixed it constantly cutting off with "maximum altitude reached" at 200ft regardless of the app being set for 400ft. Which they claimed to have fixed in the last update, but mine still does it all the time.

cutting off as in its saying its maxing out or cutting off as it RTH? mine had a weird issue where it would RTH at 200

It stops climbing and says "Maximum altitude reached". I canter the throttle, then bring it back up and it will resume climbing. The app and parameters all still say 400ft. So it's something funky in the onboard computers as opposed to the flight controller.

so here are my observations after 2.4 update (iOS).
waiting for the new User Manual reflecting new fucntionalities, but from what I've experienced so far, it's not all as we expected :

(1) RTL
a) upon pressing "Return Home" button on controller, Solo goes always into Rewind mode even when that one is disabled in my settings, and even when disabled and with previously set Max Rewind distance to 0m, Solo still goes into Rewind mode for about 5-10 seconds before it finally switches to Return to Home mode.

b) When selecting in settings Return to Me and Hover as the action after Return, we all assumed that Solo would come back to last known location of the Controller/Tablet and we assumed that in this mode "My" location is being updated dynamically.

c) When choosing "Hover" as an action to take after arriving to Home location, I didn't know at what altitude it would actually Hover and what actions it would take for example during loss of signal, or when battery goes flat.
Now I know - it will simply fall from the Sky (it will not attempt to land). Bad !

d) Failsafe, not working as we assumed it would be with the new Return to Me mode.

e) Launching without GPS lock, again here we assumed we could now safely launch with no GPS as Solo would regain new home point for return because we assumed this is updated dynamically, well it's not. You can only create new "Home" by pressing Return to home button on your controller and not in any other way.

1) RTL
in flight club the new RTL options were tested extensively.

a) In 2.4.0, pressing Return Home triggers rewind until it is done and then the selected return option is performed. In your case, Rewind is disabled and set to 0 so the rewind kicks in for a few meters and then your RTL occurs. You can also press Return Home twice to skip rewind and go directly to RTL.

b) When Return To Me is enabled, the controller sends the gps location of the mobile device every second (you do not have to press return home first ). If the mobile device loses gps or the controller signal loses signal, solo will use the last location received.

c) When hover is enabled, solo will return at the specified rtl altitude and hover instead of land. if the controller signal is lost it will continue to hover because you are already in an RTL state. and if the battery gets to failsafe it will land. i'm not sure why in your case it did not land.

d) When Return To Me is enabled, if controller signal is lost, solo will return and land/hover to the mobile devices last location the controller sent. if the battery gets to failsafe, solo will land at its current position.

e) if you take off in fly manual, once gps lock occurs the home point will be set and then the location of the mobile device will be sent every second.

2) zipline
zipline has been in testing since december. zipline allows solo to travel on a horizontal line between two points set at infinity (its actually 1000m). you point solo's nose at the direction you want the line to be and the line is created that intersects the solo. solo is locked on this line and can travel forwards and backwards. when you enable altitude lock/unlock aka 3d, the line can now be in an angle from from horizontal (90 degrees) all the way to vertical (0 degrees). to set 3d, point solo where you want to line to travel forwards/backwards on and point the gimbal to the angle you want the line to travel up/down on. set the zipline, go to options and disable alt lock. the existing line will now be tilted down to match the gimbal angle and now solo will move forward and backward on the line as well as decrease and increase altitude.

3) Pano
b) there are no options for hemisphere because solo yaws 360 as well as takes a second row + nadir. what options do you think should be here?

Pano will switch from video to photo. if you are recording and it does not stop recording to switch to photo, then that is a bug. i only tested with the gopro in video mode, but not recording.

my current rtl options are launch + hover and return to me works on my iphone 6s+.

Last edited:
1) RTL

a) In 2.4.0, pressing Return Home triggers rewind until it is done and then the selected return option is performed. In your case, Rewind is disabled and set to 0 so the rewind kicks in for a few meters and then your RTL occurs. You can also press Return Home twice to skip rewind and go directly to RTL.

b) When Return To Me is enabled, the controller sends the gps location of the mobile device every second (you do not have to press return home first ). If the mobile device loses gps or the controller signal loses signal, solo will use the last location received.

c) When hover is enabled, solo will return at the specified rtl altitude and hover instead of land. if the controller signal is lost it will continue to hover because you are already in an RTL state. and if the battery gets to failsafe it will land. i'm not sure why in your case it did not land.

d) When Return To Me is enabled, if controller signal is lost, solo will return and land/hover to the mobile devices last location the controller sent. if the battery gets to failsafe, solo will land at its current position.

e) if you take off in fly manual, once gps lock occurs the home point will be set and then the location of the mobile device will be sent every second.

2) zipline
zipline has been in testing since december. zipline allows solo to travel on a horizontal line between two points set at infinity (its actually 1000m). you point solo's nose at the direction you want the line to be and the line is created that intersects the solo. solo is locked on this line and can travel forwards and backwards. when you enable altitude lock/unlock aka 3d, the line can now be in an angle from from horizontal (90 degrees) all the way to vertical (0 degrees). to set 3d, point solo where you want to line to travel forwards/backwards on and point the gimbal to the angle you want the line to travel up/down on. set the zipline, go to options and disable alt lock. the existing line will now be tilted down to match the gimbal angle and now solo will move forward and backward on the line as well as decrease and increase altitude.

3) Pano
b) there are no options for hemisphere because solo yaws 360 as well as takes a second row + nadir. what options do you think should be here?

Pano will switch from video to photo. if you are recording and it does not stop recording to switch to photo, then that is a bug. i only tested with the gopro in video mode, but not recording.

my current rtl options are launch + hover and return to me works on my iphone 6s+.
thank you for this detailed information of the new features!

1) RTL

2) zipline

3) Pano

Thanks Frank! Do you think 3DR will ever put that in print somewhere we can all find it? Instead of having to get all our info from some sleazy, back-alley, wrong side of the tracks, web site? Lol :)

I've never had that problem, but my GoPro still won't turn on with Solo. :(

I've never had that problem, but my GoPro still won't turn on with Solo. :(
I have it happen all the time also and just keep going right through it.. I have an NVIDIA Shield and honestly the solo app and video feed have been going nuts since my 4th flight...nothing changed in my config etc...This evening while tyring yet another troubleshooting test, the Solo app would sometimes forget one performance setting but not the other??? gimbal froze at 90 degrees in middle of flight..continuous rolling video feed...oh and then it started saying version go pro not recognized until I rebooted bird...also last 2 outings have had the video feed do a weird thing where it mirrors the GP display data, but like a PIP in the upper left corner...not the whole frame shrunk but just the cam display overlay...whtevr..im getting annoyed

I have it happen all the time also and just keep going right through it.. I have an NVIDIA Shield and honestly the solo app and video feed have been going nuts since my 4th flight...nothing changed in my config etc...This evening while tyring yet another troubleshooting test, the Solo app would sometimes forget one performance setting but not the other??? gimbal froze at 90 degrees in middle of flight..continuous rolling video feed...oh and then it started saying version go pro not recognized until I rebooted bird...also last 2 outings have had the video feed do a weird thing where it mirrors the GP display data, but like a PIP in the upper left corner...not the whole frame shrunk but just the cam display overlay...whtevr..im getting annoyed
Wow! It was 121 deg. here yesterday, 119 today, so I haven't had a chance to go try out the new update. Who knows, maybe Solo will just melt into a puddle like the Wicked Witch of the West!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig