Software Update - Version 2.4.0

I have updated to 2.4 and use iphone 6. I turn on the controller, turn on the solo, launch the solo app on my iphone and wait for gps. But of course gps is slow and sometimes never so I put it in manual mode and take off. Maybe go up quickly to 50 feet or so to wait for gps. But at this time there is no altitude info and when I release the left (throttle) stick solo just keeps racing towards the sky. Same thing happens if I use down throttle, upon release of the stick it just keeps coming down until I put in some up on the throttle to stop it. Once it has gps lock (I'm still in manual mode) altitude info returns and throttle performs normally.

Was it this way before the update?
Please do a compass plus level calibration first thing before next flight. This is not normal, not in any altitude controlled flight mode like FLYManual.
And I can assume that you were not in Sport or Acro mode, otherwise yr Solo would be toast now :)
In stabilize it may slightly move up or sink downwards with center throttle stick, but certainly easy for you to handle.
Please report if the calibration fixed it.

Please do a compass plus level calibration first thing before next flight. This is not normal, not in any altitude controlled flight mode like FLYManual.
And I can assume that you were not in Sport or Acro mode, otherwise yr Solo would be toast now :)
In stabilize it may slightly move up or sink downwards with center throttle stick, but certainly easy for you to handle.
Please report if the calibration fixed it.
Good Idea, I'll check it out.

If you have it set for FLY:MANUAL and it is not holding altitude, it's malfunctioning. Altitude controls does not use GPS in any case. It uses the barometer. The other control issues tell me you have major malfunctions to deal with here. IMO, doing a factory reset and getting the 2.4 update on a clean slate will probably fix it. But you should probably open a ticket to 3DR using the Solo app while connected to the controller first. It will send them logs.

Edit: I agree with Steve. Try the calibration first. I feel like this is more than that, but it's worth a shot.

this happened to me yesterday during yet another round of troubleshooting.....took off in fly manual mode..hovering at about 7ft altitude and left stick down had the bird gaining altitude....the app has been acting insane also. Why release 2.4 firmware for controller and solo but not the app at the same time (android user) ? Makes no business sense...

and again, ALMOST EVERYONE who is into developing /coding, open source, DIY, linux, etc etc DO NOT USE APPLE PRODUCTS (unless forced)

Last edited:
Good Idea, I'll check it out.
Please do so before going down the path of factory reset.

There was a change in the accel sensor sensitivity in AC3.3 which is also the underlying code base for the Solo 2.4 firmware. For AC3.3 upgrade, a re-calibration was a mandatory step.

3DR did not comment so far on my request about the necessity to recalibrate with FW2.4, but based on my (very positive) experience with FW2.4 I strongly recommend to do it. Doesn't harm either.

If it doesn't solve your problem contact support.

If you have it set for FLY:MANUAL and it is not holding altitude, it's malfunctioning. Altitude controls does not use GPS in any case. It uses the barometer. The other control issues tell me you have major malfunctions to deal with here. IMO, doing a factory reset and getting the 2.4 update on a clean slate will probably fix it. But you should probably open a ticket to 3DR using the Solo app while connected to the controller first. It will send them logs.

Edit: I agree with Steve. Try the calibration first. I feel like this is more than that, but it's worth a shot.
Just finished compass and level calibration. Completed normally. Tested, same problem. So I was playing with the throttle while in this mode(FLY:MANUAL with gps not yet antiquate) when solo finally did get enough satellites and it nearly dropped out of the sky onto my car. It didn't go into gps mode (which was correct because I didn't tell it to) but the throttle went weird for a second as it returned to normal.

The solo has a lot going for it. Many things work great. The things that work great probably saved my ass yesterday. But I'm loosing confidence. If I owned 3dr stock I'd be looking elsewhere. Kind of like Go Pro. I had to take the battery out yesterday because it froze up.I lost confidence in Go Pro a long time ago but have continued with them because of the good side and until recently they had little competition. I wouldn't be comfortable with their stock either. I think Chris Anderson is a good smart guy but only so much you can do when up against the money of DJI.

Yikes. Well I think think you need to open a ticket to 3DR from the solo app while connected to the controller so it sends them logs. Do that before factory reset, otherwise I believe the logs will get wiped out. I have faith the factory reset will cure it, but open the ticket first.

Reactions: jibcamera
Yikes. Well I think think you need to open a ticket to 3DR from the solo app while connected to the controller so it sends them logs. Do that before factory reset, otherwise I believe the logs will get wiped out. I have faith the factory reset will cure it, but open the ticket first.
Thanks, will do.

I'm not aware of a limit on the logs. If there is a limit, it is probably more flights than you'll ever fly anyway.

I need to learn manual mode(s), But living on a island with consistent winds "25-35" mph. Always 75-100% Humidity
A lot more pron to accidents with average days like these.
Been flying over a year & never have had a accident or anything Bought 4 sets of props, needed 1 set so far.
Solo is a well throughout product that works for me.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Yes I'm sure about the mode. I use manual quite often but only if I can't get gps, which is quite often. It's usually due to obstructions of some sort but it doesn't take much. I was flying in a mountainous area yesterday and was having trouble getting gps on the ground so I would take off to get some altitude to help the gps out. It also was moderately windy and when I noticed the solo just going up and up I thought it was updrafts. Tested it this morning in flatland calm conditions and same thing. I thought altitude readout worked without gps. Had a couple other funky things happen since update. Like yaw control freezing. But with wind and mountains like yesterday, coupled with the occasional accidental press of one of the A B buttons, and me not fully understanding yet the new return to wherever features, it's hard to say. several times I pressed return home and nothing would happen or something strange would happen. I feel pretty lucky I ended the day unscathed.

I had the same problem. I have in my parameters the yaw set to face next waypoint on RTL. After watching the gopro footage, I noticed after I hit return home the copter wanted to turn, then immediately faced straight again proceeded coming back to me backwards. I download the parameters in tower and nothing has been changed. The new firmware is extremely buggy. Solo's altitude is also stuck at 200 feet no matter what it's set up in the app. I'm still waiting for the 2.4 version of the app since I use android but you'd think the 2.3 version of the app shouldn't make a difference. You just can't access the new stuff. Maybe I'll just do a full reset and start from scratch.

Last edited:
How far back to the logs go? I've never opened a ticket.
Use to be 10 logs retained at a time. Not sure if this has changed in the update.

Have you done a stick calibration yet?

Yes. You can find instructions and discussion here..

I've been flying and building for years, and some of the things that this has corrected on the Solo, it shouldn't have. But I'd recommend it and it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Yes. You can find instructions and discussion here..

I've been flying and building for years, and some of the things that this has corrected on the Solo, it shouldn't have. But I'd recommend it and it certainly wouldn't hurt.
I have two solos.When I updated to 2.4 I first uploaded with just my solo app on my iphone, then I continued by updating controller #1 and solo #1 (the one I mainly use and which has the problem). Then I updated controller #2 and solo #2 with the same iphone. I just tested solo #2 and it has the same problem. Just sent a ticket to 3dr.

Shouldn't have been so hard on 3dr. I did this with the buggy update.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just finished compass and level calibration. Completed normally. Tested, same problem. So I was playing with the throttle while in this mode(FLY:MANUAL with gps not yet antiquate) when solo finally did get enough satellites and it nearly dropped out of the sky onto my car. It didn't go into gps mode (which was correct because I didn't tell it to) but the throttle went weird for a second as it returned to normal.

The solo has a lot going for it. Many things work great. The things that work great probably saved my ass yesterday. But I'm loosing confidence. If I owned 3dr stock I'd be looking elsewhere. Kind of like Go Pro. I had to take the battery out yesterday because it froze up.I lost confidence in Go Pro a long time ago but have continued with them because of the good side and until recently they had little competition. I wouldn't be comfortable with their stock either. I think Chris Anderson is a good smart guy but only so much you can do when up against the money of DJI.
If I understood correctly, you take off in FLY Manual with no GPS lock. After that Solo does not keep altitude but bounces up/downwards. After acquiring a lock, Solo suddenly drops sharply.

I tried to reproduce this today. My Solo kept altitude very well after takeoff in Manual w/o GPS lock, but all of a sudden it sharply dropped when it acquired a Fix. I could immediatly recover since I had my hand on the throttle stick. So I assume you were experiencing 2 distinct problems. The altitude inconsistency was not reproducible - I guess this is due to the full sensor calibration I did right after the 2.4 update.
The sharp drop after GPS acquisition is a defect in my view - I also reported this to 3DR.

My Android updated easily...but now my Settings are stuck in 1080p and 30fps...nothing seems to change this. It just reverts back.
Any ideas?
I have had this happen tom me several times. Resetting the GP has fixed it every time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo