Funny you should mention that. @human just posted in mod club about that very idea. Using a logic level converter to step up the 3.3v signal to 5v. The general consensus from the hardware geeks is it could work but couldn't say for sure with confidence. Converting the level has some unknowns and you would be a test pilot proving the concept.

This is also a good time to point out that ProfiCNC will soon be releasing UAVCAN (canbus) ESCs as motor pod replacements. Way better ESCs, canbus two way communication (like rpm and error feedback to pixhawk), and they don't randomly turn off in flight.

Yeah. Assuming the extra pennies become available, I will be picking up one or more "parts" Solos from eBay and see if I can't work out a level converter or a boost/clamp that'll work. Mind describing how to reliably trigger this phenomenon ?

Any indication how much the UAVCAN pods will consume, penny-wise?

There isn't something you can do that will reliably cause it to happen. Slamming the throttle to full power in stabilize would probably be the best way to do it. You'd need to be on master and do things to cause voltage fluctuations.

I just spent my spare pennies on a spare solo and am pretty interested in testing a level converter for the escs as well! Don't think I will end up confident enough in it to use in non-test situations, but assuaging my curiosity is most of the fun!

IMG_20170530_164716.jpg IMG_20170530_183640.jpg IMG_20170530_183546.jpg

I took advantage of the ebay solo bargains and purchased a solo mainboard with pixhawk, companion computer and wifi card and a version A GPS module all for $35.00 shipped...
So I decided to build a custom quad on a Tarot 650 sport frame with retractable landing gear. The motors are Emax 3510 600kv, ESC's are also Emax 40 amp Copter Pro SimonK series...Overkill for the motors which only reach 13 amps at full throttle with 1340 Carbon fiber props.
I lengthened the battery power to mainboard leads and also lengthened the battery telem wires and the GPS wires as to mount the GPS on a mast in the back. Hows that for a custom GPS cover can you guess what it is? It also has an FPV system using a RunCam2 and a Eachine transmitter with no visual lag,

the HDMI works as intended with the sony camera for wifi and filming. Eventually I will mount the solo gimbal when I decide to Buy a GoPro.

As for the software I'm running paddles version of arducopter Master for Solo, setup was a breeze (A Huge thumbs up to paddles for all his hard work and broken Solo's) it works as it should in situ..But I wont know till I get off the ground as I'm still waiting on two motors and esc's but I'm confident it will fly . I changed a few Parameters for more thrust, motor spin-up and hover mode. The throttle curve is much more linear than solo 1.5.3. I have it set for stabilize mode and manual mode. I will set channel 7 to auto tune once its up and flying, but right now I have channel 7 set for the retracts. Here are some more pics

IMG_20170530_164915.jpgIMG_20170530_164859.jpgIMG_20170530_164944.jpg IMG_20170530_165016.jpg IMG_20170530_164835.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 6313 View attachment 6311 View attachment 6312

I took advantage of the ebay solo bargains and purchased a solo mainboard with pixhawk, companion computer and wifi card and a version A GPS module all for $35.00 shipped...
So I decided to build a custom quad on a Tarot 650 sport frame with retractable landing gear. The motors are Emax 3510 600kv, ESC's are also Emax 40 amp Copter Pro SimonK series...Overkill for the motors which only reach 13 amps at full throttle with 1340 Carbon fiber props.
I lengthened the battery power to mainboard leads and also lengthened the battery telem wires and the GPS wires as to mount the GPS on a mast in the back. Hows that for a custom GPS cover can you guess what it is? It also has an FPV system using a RunCam2 and a Eachine transmitter with no visual lag,

the HDMI works as intended with the sony camera for wifi and filming. Eventually I will mount the solo gimbal when I decide to Buy a GoPro.

As for the software I'm running paddles version of arducopter Master for Solo, setup was a breeze (A Huge thumbs up to paddles for all his hard work and broken Solo's) it works as it should in situ..But I wont know till I get off the ground as I'm still waiting on two motors and esc's but I'm confident it will fly . I changed a few Parameters for more thrust, motor spin-up and hover mode. The throttle curve is much more linear than solo 1.5.3. I have it set for stabilize mode and manual mode. I will set channel 7 to auto tune once its up and flying, but right now I have channel 7 set for the retracts. Here are some more pics

View attachment 6307View attachment 6306View attachment 6308 View attachment 6309 View attachment 6314

Be interested in your flight times on that 650 frame. I have a spare one laying around and some spare motors and props and was thinking of doing almost exactly what you did. I originally had the 650 set up with 5010 motors 360kv motors running 17" props with a tarot 2d gimbal and runcam for fpv. With two 4s 5200 lipo in Parallel I was getting 25min flight time. If I could get the same flight times and have the solo mainboard and companion pixhawk with the wifi and hdmi and all it might be worth it.

Be interested in your flight times on that 650 frame. I have a spare one laying around and some spare motors and props and was thinking of doing almost exactly what you did. I originally had the 650 set up with 5010 motors 360kv motors running 17" props with a tarot 2d gimbal and runcam for fpv. With two 4s 5200 lipo in Parallel I was getting 25min flight time. If I could get the same flight times and have the solo mainboard and companion pixhawk with the wifi and hdmi and all it might be worth it.
I just started tuning so no real flight times yet but so far 13 minutes with 36% left on battery, slightly better than the solo even though it weighs a bit more the motors and props seem more efficient. But really not sure?
I'm having some issues with the I2c port so the external compass is not functioning ($30.00 Ebay special Mainboard) see this link for the first flights. >>Tarot 650 sport/3DRSolo build flies with Arducopter master...

Last edited:
The stock cube running master is actually fine as long as your not using the stock motor pod ESCs. Which clearly that beast is not, so it should not explode or crash on you.

Reactions: XevetS
The stock cube running master is actually fine as long as your not using the stock motor pod ESCs. Which clearly that beast is not, so it should not explode or crash on you.
It flies great in manual or stabilized mode but still having issues in fly mode aka loiter....its a bad mainboard. I have no power to the I2C port as of yet.. Just loaded the latest ardu-copter-Solo gonna give it a whirl GULP........

**UPDATE**
It now flies awesome with the newest firmware! Even in loiter mode held a nice hover in a small wind for 10 minutes and I even tried a return to home and it worked as expected, yes I have hope now woohoo!....Thanks Matt aka Pedals2Paddles you the man!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
Hmmm interesting, been wondering what to do with that now that I have one, and an extra main board and imx6. Would just need a frame I have ESCs and motors off an old x8

Reactions: XevetS
I'll start saving additional pennies. Until then I might look into designing an outboard solution to prop up the signaling voltage on the stock cube. Just as a mental exercise mostly.:cool:

This is a common problem in the radio controlled world. Some modern 2.4 Ghz receivers output only 3.3 volts, and some servos need 5 volt signals to work reliably.

There are already inexpensive solutions to that problem:
SparkFun Logic Level Converter - Bi-Directional
SparkFun Logic Level Converter - Bi-Directional - BOB-12009 - SparkFun Electronics
http://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/BreakoutBoards/Logic_Level_Bidirectional.pdf

3.3V-5V 4 Channels Logic Level Converter Bi-Directional Shifter Module
Amazon.com: 3.3V-5V 4 Channels Logic Level Converter Bi-Directional Shifter Module: Musical Instruments

Chris Shaker

Last edited:
You're both right from my understanding. There is the issue of motor output programming, which goes beyond just the max PWM value parameter. I believe you can work around it somehow, but IDK what that procedure is. Over my head. And there is the issue of smart shots. If you run AC Master, the smart shots will not have control of the gimbal. You will have manual control of the gimbal tilt with the paddle like normal. But smart shots will not.

At some point in the future, AC Master will have the necessary changes to work with the solo. It will likely require the Pixhawk 2.1 Green Cube to work. And there is no scheduled date for that. It's just smart guys working on it in their free time, as with most everything with ArduPilot.
why would you do a marketing ploy on a community product with little to no profit margin
why would you do a marketing ploy on a community product with little to no profit margin
why because the green cube was supposed to be a upgrade from 3dr to for diy drones, but 3dr has gone belly up and only doing commercial business. He'll call customer service it's now in Mexico but call for site scan it's all sales people working from home they take let's let me 3dr no longer handles anything but sitescan

why because the green cube was supposed to be a upgrade from 3dr to for diy drones...
It's quite obvious from this and your other two posts here that you do not what you're talking about on these matters. I encourage you to read up on this history of the green cube and the work going in to getting it working with master on solo.

Also, I find it comical that you think the green cube exists because some typical American wants to profit off it. The designer of the green cube is from Australia, and makes no profit. Lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela