New Solo firmware available now 1.0.5

Oh, and by the way, I'm beginning to think 3DR may suck.

I have a few 3DR pixhawks for my custom built copters and they work great. Never had an issues, most issues you read about are user related.

Now the Solo on the otherhand flys wonderful in manual mode and it does flip and rolls when you get into acro mode...and flys Fast for what it is.

It is more durable then the Phantom and all the crashes on Boobtube prove it.

The solo is a good design for the most part but the flaw is in the placement of the GPS reciever and or the reciever itself along with other issues like updates locking the equipment.

Have you ever built you're own copter from scratch,, you will learn a lot of what works and what doesn't.

The solo was rushed out the door and should have never left the building until all issues were fixed and now you have a battle field assessment to see what your losses will be because you rushed into do battle with the wrong amo.

I have sent a few emails to 3DR and told them that they should have never been allowed to be shipped.... and mine is getting shipped back next week.
The GPS issues are horrible along with the mag interference issues.
Everyone needs to send them back so they can start over. ..
Is to bad, , but if you rush, you get burned...
It has been proven time after time.. ask the auto makers...

I have a few 3DR pixhawks for my custom built copters and they work great. Never had an issues, most issues you read about are user related.

Now the Solo on the otherhand flys wonderful in manual mode and it does flip and rolls when you get into acro mode...and flys Fast for what it is.

It is more durable then the Phantom and all the crashes on Boobtube prove it.

Everyone needs to send them back so they can start over. ..
Is to bad, , but if you rush, you get burned...
It has been proven time after time.. ask the auto makers...

Hi Rodney,
Understand your frustrations. But can we change the above statement to 'IF' you had a problem send them back. There are many of us that have never had a GPS issue, update went fine the 1st time and no mag issue or app crashes. I would hate to send back a unit that is flying like it should and that I enjoy flying.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: Raybro
You are right. I am so disappointed with SOLO. I have a Phantom 2 and I never had any problems. Now I have learned the lesson.
I have both and have not had a problem with either. The Solo is a little different. You gotta pay a little closer attention to this one to make sure you do everything right until you get it down. Sorry about your problems.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yes,, Do not pull on wires, find small flat screwdriver and work the plug off..
Re-connect and try again,, I had the same problem with first update
I had the same issue 2 days ago. Yesterday, after I spent 2 hours on the phone with a 3DR agent trying to get the controller to work without success, I decided to return my solo back to the Best Buy store. Unfortunately.

I have both and have not had a problem with either. The Solo is a little different. You gotta pay a little closer attention to this one to make sure you do everything right until you get it down. Sorry about your problems.
Thanks Raybro!
Yesterday, when I was on the phone with a 3DR representative, I suggested to them to build the SOLO controllers including at least a USB port. In case some issue occur we could get the controller connected to a computer and the issue may get fixed easily. Better than having a HDMI port that becomes useless when nothing works and no communication between the controller and solo.

Last edited:
Thanks Raybro!
Yesterday, when I was on the phone with a 3DR representative, I suggested to them to build the SOLO controllers including at least a USB port. In case some issue occur we could get the controller connected to a computer and the issue may get fixed easily. Better than having a HDMI port that becomes useless when nothing works and no communication between the controller and solo.
3rd times a charm! :D

Thanks Raybro!
Thanks! You just jarred my memory! I've been trying to remember why I had to return my very first drone, a Phantom 1 back in 2013! I ordered it from Amazon, and it had a dead USB hub! Couldn't get a connection at all out of the box, sent it back to Amazon and was issued another without a problem.

So a USB port isn't a guarantee of a connection either.

Hi Rodney,
Understand your frustrations. But can we change the above statement to 'IF' you had a problem send them back. There are many of us that have never had a GPS issue, update went fine the 1st time and no mag issue or app crashes. I would hate to send back a unit that is flying like it should and that I enjoy flying.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

OK,,, IF you have,,

OK Solo #2 in the air.

Couple things I noticed but the first is not concrete at this point.

1) My range seems to be down. About 2800' is all I can get out of it compared to Solo #1 with original firmware. This could be related to the new Solo, the new firmware or conditions. The other one would do 3200' to 4200" easy on any given day.

2) Hitting your altitude ceiling initiates RTH. I never did that for me before. However I could not set my ceiling to unlimited before either.

No issues with acquiring GPS with this firmware for me.

That's great rich. Glad the GPS is working better. Not sure why the range difference. I ave a set of 6db 2.4g antennas that I have not tried yet. But i'm not looking for killer distance right now. Just a good signal for AP work.

Well hopefully DBS gets his shipment of panels in and get mine shipped out next week!

Rich Glad to see you are soloing it again.
Best of luck with it.

Well hopefully DBS gets his shipment of panels in and get mine shipped out next week!

Rich
Did you notice Sat count by any chance?
How many would it reciever and lock onto..
I just tested mine again and it would show 12 and a moment later the transmitter would say, ,, Lost GPS signal. Not happy at all... I'm about ready to let her fly itself into the ground and have 3DR send our a new one. Or return,,,

Rich
Did you notice Sat count by any chance?
How many would it reciever and lock onto..
I just tested mine again and it would show 12 and a moment later the transmitter would say, ,, Lost GPS signal. Not happy at all... I'm about ready to let her fly itself into the ground and have 3DR send our a new one. Or return,,,
please video this.

OK Solo #2 in the air.

Couple things I noticed but the first is not concrete at this point.

1) My range seems to be down. About 2800' is all I can get out of it compared to Solo #1 with original firmware. This could be related to the new Solo, the new firmware or conditions. The other one would do 3200' to 4200" easy on any given day.

2) Hitting your altitude ceiling initiates RTH. I never did that for me before. However I could not set my ceiling to unlimited before either.

No issues with acquiring GPS with this firmware for me.
Thanks for sharing. It's time to head to BB for return and get new bird from 3DR.
Reliable 1000' control range works for me, but deficient GPS definitely not.

I just ran the update quickly and with no problems. I was nervous after reading about other people's problems with it, but all is well.

I'm going to do a second distance test tomorrow. I got one mile last week without losing signal. Maybe I can get 1.5 this time.

I just ran the update quickly and with no problems. I was nervous after reading about other people's problems with it, but all is well.

I'm going to do a second distance test tomorrow. I got one mile last week without losing signal. Maybe I can get 1.5 this time.
the farther you go out the more chance you are takeing that you will BEND your solo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150