Longer range Wifi *without* modifying TX.

Sorry I've not touched my Solo since my last post :(
Been super busy with work and went to IRCHA 2 weeks ago.
That's a big once a year Helicopter event.
I'll get back to this soon!

Sadly I still have not flown or messed with my solo since last post here.
Going to give this another try soon!

Please do. I am awaiting a report on how it went. Then maybe you can describe all your changes for me and others so we can use them for our own (nefarious ? ) means.

Lot of work end of year.
I'll be back on this soon!
And it should be warm enough to enjoy flying outdoors again in a little over 2 months.

So here I am back again wanting to get going and try this again.
I am so out of touch with my Solo.
Not sure Where I'm at with it and going to factory default it and start over.
My hardware is stock.
I'm not sure what is the best firmware version to run these days wit ha stock setup.

Back when I was into it there was one unofficial upgrade firmware version and I was running it.

So while I was asleep opensolo was released in January.
WOW!
I think I'll head in that direction and resume this project from that once I have it running on my stock solo.

I'm taking a different approach than more power and more antenna on the handheld controller.
Give my entire thread a read if you like.
It's only three pages long.

I'm going to try this and there is no reason it should not work really well
It *should work great.

Stock TX and Solo.

My ground station will consist of

* Good battery power for a day
* 2 Ubiquity or similar 2.4GHz Wifi POE devices setup as AP and client with directional antennas.
* wired network switch.

Like these: Ubiquiti Networks - NanoStation® M
*in wifi mode*

Or: ENH202 Outdoor Wireless Bridge | EnGenius

I'll hook them back to back over wired ethernet or hook them into a wired switch.

One device will be setup as a client bridge and associated/connected to the solo tx.
The other will be setup as an access point and use the same SSID as the TX.

So there will be TWO access points that the solo can connect to- the solo TX and the bridged
secondary AP.

Secondary AP can be put on another RF channel or kept on the same.

Client bridge device can be MAC locked so it will only connect to the Solo TX and not connect to the other AP

When the solo gets out of range of the Solo TX with stock antennas it will still be able to connect to (if it is not already connected to) the ground station access point with the big directional antenna which is ethernet bridged/connected to the client bridge device which is connected to the the Solo TX wirelessly.

Simple!!!! but also a bit confusing. LOL.
Considering the flight time of the Solo, what is the mission that requires significantly longer ranges than the Solo with a 3rd party antenna like FPVLR? My vision makes it very hard to see the Solo out at 3200', with the FPVLR I can go a little further but cannot maintain LOS.
I flew 1 mile out last week on all stock solo and brought it home because i was just over 40 percent on the battery. Still had not lost the signal at that point. I was using my itelite antenna. Have the video to show it. Sorry group i have been away quite sometime.

Reactions: fvincent
From /etc/init.d/configinit

#Manual modification of a configuration file (e.g. via console or ssh):
# 1.edit file.conf
# 2.md5sum <full-path-to-file.conf> <full-path-to-file.conf.md5>

I'm getting back into it!

And actually:
md5sum full-path-to-file.conf > full-path-to-file.conf.md5

Is the correct command to make it stay.

Also it looks like there's no reason you can't simply configure the controller to be a client instead of an AP.
Then have both the Controller and the Solo associate to an external high profile outdoor AP of your choice.
In the arrangement you could probably have a number or APs connected together WDS or on a hardline backbone.

Indeed you can. But you will also need to modify the pairing code the code behind the button that initiates pairing.

Code behind ...

Ok that threw me off. LOL

Sounds like really good info but now I'm confused.
Behind the button?
Like as in you have to open up the solo?
I don't remember having to use a pairing code
Totally lost me there! :)

I figured make the copter (already paired) connect to the AP with the correct SSID and WPA2 key.
And same with the controller.

Got any more info on this?

The pairing button is a tiny hole/switch and you'd have to take the copter apart if there is any kind of pairing code in there behind the button.
And I'm not aware of where that would come into play and need to be used.

Thanks!

Not physically behind it. The lines of code that handle the button press and the lines of code on both copter and controller than handle pairing the devices.

Hehe..
I'll have to find that.

Should already be paired and not need re-pairing aside from fat-fingering the WiFi settings to the point where connectivity is lost.
Which is super easy to do and mess up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela