iOS Update with Multi Point Cable Cam, Save & Load Cables, Time Lapse & Free Look

I don't know where to find the safety alert feature they were talking about. I am using an iPhone 6?

I don't know where to find the safety alert feature they were talking about. I am using an iPhone 6?
It doesnt show up on my iPad mini. On my Nexus tablet it is at the upper right corner of the main Solo screen.

The data is so outdated or inaccurate I think it's worthless- if it can be turned off, I will.

Airmap definitely requires some work. I'm assuming it would take a while there is a lot of airports & heliports is the US let alone the rest of the world. I'm sure this must be a work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airmap definitely requires some work. I'm assuming it would take a while there is a lot of airports & heliports is the US let alone the rest of the world. I'm sure this must be a work in progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a current sectional and TCA chart for the area I fly in.

Reactions: Ed Beck
View attachment 2491 View attachment 2492

I hope some of these circles arent real. I fly in Fargo and Minneapolis areas. I may have to move to enjoy the new updates.
This looks like the map for San Diego, but most of the "airports" are (a) abandoned, (b) no control tower, or (c) not on flight maps. I have no idea where they got their information.

I'm seeing strange things.

My android tablet shows all sorts of air strips in my area, my android cell phone, in the same spot, using the same settings, shows almost none. This doesn't give me much confidence at all.

Same location, same wifi, same gps position, it's very different between the two, even when zooming in our out on the map.
You can change the settings as to what to show.

I was out flying today with the update installed. There should have been some explanation with the update as to how these new modes work. Cable cam works (trial and error learning) by hitting A to turn it on, then A at each point along the path. The endpoint gets a B, and then control passes to the smart shot. It remembers the altitude, Yaw angle, and camera angle. If you just keep the right stick steady (this is important if you want usable video) it will traverse the cable, rotating the Solo as need. The moves are steady and smooth, so long as the wind is not too strong and the GPS is strong. I found that altitude was at least +/- 10 feet, so if you are flying over a roof set the points at least 20 to 30 feet above the roof, or you will really get your heart pumping. Remember that to climb during a cable run you will have to stop the smart shot (hit FLY or the X on lower right of the screen) before you try to gain altitude. ORBIT seems to be the same as before, but I am not getting the satellite maps. I have to explore why. The most important consideration for orbit is that the center of the circle has to be set close, with a short radius, or the craft is going to seem to be flying away as it traverses the circle. Very scary.

Reactions: Lance
Not on mine, Hero4 blk fw 3.00
I also am using the Hero4 Black firmware 3.00 and I have to manually turn the GoPro on. If I land and power down the Solo before I stop recording the GoPro does not properly close the file, and it is unusable. To fix the file I turn the GoPro on, and a Band-Aid icon shows while it repairs the file structure. I am going to switch to a Hero 4 Silver and see whether this issue is only with the Black model.

There is a warning in the help screen, now the top paddle controls the altitude. This might take some practice to get used to it.

I'm seeing strange things.

My android tablet shows all sorts of air strips in my area, my android cell phone, in the same spot, using the same settings, shows almost none. This doesn't give me much confidence at all.

Same location, same wifi, same gps position, it's very different between the two, even when zooming in our out on the map.
See the Airport/Facilities Directory for information.

From what I see for my area, I am getting "close to airport" warnings for fields that are abandoned or have no control tower.
I realize that you're probably referring to the fact that there is no control tower to contact so the Airmap is telling you to do something that isn't possible, I want to point out that FAA regulations prohibit operation within 5 nm of any airfield without first contacting the airport manager. If you have a Section 333 exemption with the accompanying COA there are other limits that allow closer operations.

See the Airport/Facilities Directory for an official list.

Cable Cam - absolute or relative positioning?

Being able to save multi-point cable cams brings up an interesting question. Does it use an absolute position based on actual GPS coordinates, or a relative position based on the starting point and deltas?

The reason I ask is that if it uses relative positioning I can go to a big empty field, design several multi-point cable cam shots, save them, and use them anywhere (that I don't end up flying into a tree.) If it's absolute than this isn't an option and I have to waste battery power designing the shot for every location I want to use it.

Can't the "auto save" shots be deleted?
I mean, if it's going to save every MPCC shot, might be hard to finger thru them all, if you have many.
Also wondering if these shots can be brought in to MP, manipulated, then sent back to Solo?

I would assume it is GPS based and basically the same as a MP Tower mission. But I could be wrong about that. Easy to test; go to a big field and do a MP cablecam. Move 100' and do it again. My bet would be it would fly the previous WPs. But a good question as it could also be programmed to fly a given distance/alt between points. The problem with that would be with one of the primary uses of filming changes to a given area. It would be up to you to start from the exact spot each time to get a properly aligned shot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44