New Solo, first thoughts, and a crash

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to Solo and jumped on the B&H bandwagon. Have flown tons of copters, mostly DJI Phantoms and Inspires for part time work and even a few race quads. Done a few airplanes as well but that's been awhile. Just wanted to give my initial experience out of the box.

When I first opened it up, it asked for an update but could not get the controller to actually produce a Wi-Fi signal. Took the battery out, and opened up the controller and I could see a blinking orange light. I tried it again and I think unplugging the battery for awhile fixed it, and my iPhone 7 Plus could see the SSID.

I connected, but the Solo app would constantly say to connect to it's WiFi still. Have a spare iPhone SE laying around. Tried that too, but still nothing. Also have a Nexus 5 and cheap Digiland Android Tablet laying around so I tried the Nexus 5. Success!! Did some reading, and I guess it has issues connecting with iOS 11+.

Anyways, charge up the batteries and want to try my first flight in open field. Get out there, and same thing, won't produce Wi-Fi no matter how long I wait!! I always start controller first, then quad...but even tried the other way with no luck. Take controller apart again, and all the sudden it works. Still thinking this is from removing the battery and letting it reset. At this point I am home and just want to see if it works. I start it up in living room and fly's just fine in manual mode! So I go back out to field and still same thing, no Wi-Fi again. it's like something is wrong with my controller so I give up for the day.

I bought this knowing I was going to modify it and void the warranty, so I download Solex and update the controller and quad to OpenSolo. Take it back out to field to get first real flight in. Finally, I get Wi-Fi and able to fly! So my first real flight is with Solex and OpenSolo due to issues I was having with the controller producing Wi-Fi.

Next day I go back out and fly same open field and notice only getting 7-9 Sat's and it's generally having a hard time. Getting a bit nervous about this thing. It's not particularly as snappy and quick as the Phantoms and it tends wobble going over 25-30mph in headwind. Which is sort of a bummer because I used my work DJI's to chase boats over the ocean and lakes. This looks like it might just fall out of the sky. Tried out all the other modes, manual, alt assist, sport. Feels pretty good but still wobbles.

Charge up batteries and come back out to exact same field (only flown one spot so far) when the winds die down a bit to see if it's still wobbly. And it's still wobbles quite a bit at 30mph, even with 0-5mph winds. Anyways, decide to fly it around a bit to drain the 2 batteries. Then disaster struck! It's hovering quite calmly in GPS hold (loiter), and I want to try sport mode again to see if it doesn't wobble. Right when I put it in sport mode, it rockets off faster then I've ever see from about 75 feet and about 45 maybe even 50 degree AoA. I could not get it to stop as it was ignoring all input. Try to hit GPS mode again and pause but it did nothing as well. Literally was like the controller was stuck full pitch. It smacked the ground hard, flung the battery out, broke 3 props and generally scuffed up motor pod 2 pretty bad. Motor got dirt in it and wouldn't spin, so I cleaned that out with air and it spun well at that point. Maybe this had something to do with the way Solex changes modes?I've done hundreds of flight hours on DJI in crazy places that require full manual control in tight spaces with no issue. This is the first time I've ever crashed a camera ship like this, so pretty bummed out at this point. I'm always very careful on pre-flights. Luckily it was cheap, and I had no gimbal or camera on at this point. I will have a log of this attached to post as well.

I clean it all up, put new props on and pray. Extremely nervous about what might happen, but I bring it back out and it flies just fine still! Still the same wobble, of course but it did that before. Try sport mode again (was prepared for disaster) and flew just fine with 2 batteries.

Then I decide to order the mRo GPS. Heard about the HERE but wanted to keep it sleek, and I know I can enable 3 GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo). Not sure about the HERE, didn't do enough research. Still would like to try it. Since I'm in San Diego, only took a day to get here. Hooked it up to my PC, opened u-Center and sent the command to enable Galileo. Take it out to same field again where I was only getting 7-9 Sat's and above 1.0 HDOP with Rev. A and now I get up to 28 Sat and .5 HDOP! Doesn't fly any different really, although maybe at a different location it would (still nervous about wobble and crash to fly anywhere else).

I know this is long, but just wanted to give my thoughts. For the $159 with all the goodies, it's pretty crazy deal. I think it compares to something like a Phantom 2 at this point. The 3DR looks much cooler though, and I like the feel of the controller far more. I do prefer the now open source aspect more from the Solo though. It's kind of like Apple vs Android and damnit, I like to tinker! Don't think I've ever used a warranty of any kind in my life.

Thanks for reading my long boring post.

Link to High wind test mRo 27-28 Sat. 0.5 HDOP -

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Regarding connection issues -Your wi-fi card/cable connection could be loose inside your controller. Some other posts here on that topic. Might try doing the compass calibration. I typically don't do calibrations unless prompted by solo, but considering your mods it might be a good idea.
Update: Sorry didn't look at youtube vid, thought it was from your go pro, not at solo. I agree with David, looks pretty gusty and would explain solo's movement.

Last edited:
The wobble could be a combination of gusty wind and the altitude of the video. Solo was fairly close to the ground.

I took the controller apart and checked, all good there. It's been fine lately anyways, just when I first got it and on older firmware.

I'm talking of wobble at higher speeds. I'll try to get video of it later. It does it in no wind too. It hovers fine, just was fun to do a high wind hover test :)

I took the controller apart and checked, all good there. It's been fine lately anyways, just when I first got it and on older firmware.

I'm talking of wobble at higher speeds. I'll try to get video of it later. It does it in no wind too. It hovers fine, just was fun to do a high wind hover test :)

Ok,

I think this log has some hovering in it, but also a full battery flight just cruising around. It's a .bin, still new to this platform so let me know if this is the wrong extension.

Thanks!

Dropbox - 2017-12-07 12-38-23.bin

Hello everyone, new to Solo and jumped on the B&H bandwagon. Have flown tons of copters, mostly DJI Phantoms and Inspires for part time work and even a few race quads. Done a few airplanes as well but that's been awhile. Just wanted to give my initial experience out of the box.

When I first opened it up, it asked for an update but could not get the controller to actually produce a Wi-Fi signal. Took the battery out, and opened up the controller and I could see a blinking orange light. I tried it again and I think unplugging the battery for awhile fixed it, and my iPhone 7 Plus could see the SSID.

I connected, but the Solo app would constantly say to connect to it's WiFi still. Have a spare iPhone SE laying around. Tried that too, but still nothing. Also have a Nexus 5 and cheap Digiland Android Tablet laying around so I tried the Nexus 5. Success!! Did some reading, and I guess it has issues connecting with iOS 11+.

Anyways, charge up the batteries and want to try my first flight in open field. Get out there, and same thing, won't produce Wi-Fi no matter how long I wait!! I always start controller first, then quad...but even tried the other way with no luck. Take controller apart again, and all the sudden it works. Still thinking this is from removing the battery and letting it reset. At this point I am home and just want to see if it works. I start it up in living room and fly's just fine in manual mode! So I go back out to field and still same thing, no Wi-Fi again. it's like something is wrong with my controller so I give up for the day.

I bought this knowing I was going to modify it and void the warranty, so I download Solex and update the controller and quad to OpenSolo. Take it back out to field to get first real flight in. Finally, I get Wi-Fi and able to fly! So my first real flight is with Solex and OpenSolo due to issues I was having with the controller producing Wi-Fi.

Next day I go back out and fly same open field and notice only getting 7-9 Sat's and it's generally having a hard time. Getting a bit nervous about this thing. It's not particularly as snappy and quick as the Phantoms and it tends wobble going over 25-30mph in headwind. Which is sort of a bummer because I used my work DJI's to chase boats over the ocean and lakes. This looks like it might just fall out of the sky. Tried out all the other modes, manual, alt assist, sport. Feels pretty good but still wobbles.

Charge up batteries and come back out to exact same field (only flown one spot so far) when the winds die down a bit to see if it's still wobbly. And it's still wobbles quite a bit at 30mph, even with 0-5mph winds. Anyways, decide to fly it around a bit to drain the 2 batteries. Then disaster struck! It's hovering quite calmly in GPS hold (loiter), and I want to try sport mode again to see if it doesn't wobble. Right when I put it in sport mode, it rockets off faster then I've ever see from about 75 feet and about 45 maybe even 50 degree AoA. I could not get it to stop as it was ignoring all input. Try to hit GPS mode again and pause but it did nothing as well. Literally was like the controller was stuck full pitch. It smacked the ground hard, flung the battery out, broke 3 props and generally scuffed up motor pod 2 pretty bad. Motor got dirt in it and wouldn't spin, so I cleaned that out with air and it spun well at that point. Maybe this had something to do with the way Solex changes modes?I've done hundreds of flight hours on DJI in crazy places that require full manual control in tight spaces with no issue. This is the first time I've ever crashed a camera ship like this, so pretty bummed out at this point. I'm always very careful on pre-flights. Luckily it was cheap, and I had no gimbal or camera on at this point. I will have a log of this attached to post as well.

I clean it all up, put new props on and pray. Extremely nervous about what might happen, but I bring it back out and it flies just fine still! Still the same wobble, of course but it did that before. Try sport mode again (was prepared for disaster) and flew just fine with 2 batteries.

Then I decide to order the mRo GPS. Heard about the HERE but wanted to keep it sleek, and I know I can enable 3 GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo). Not sure about the HERE, didn't do enough research. Still would like to try it. Since I'm in San Diego, only took a day to get here. Hooked it up to my PC, opened u-Center and sent the command to enable Galileo. Take it out to same field again where I was only getting 7-9 Sat's and above 1.0 HDOP with Rev. A and now I get up to 28 Sat and .5 HDOP! Doesn't fly any different really, although maybe at a different location it would (still nervous about wobble and crash to fly anywhere else).

I know this is long, but just wanted to give my thoughts. For the $159 with all the goodies, it's pretty crazy deal. I think it compares to something like a Phantom 2 at this point. The 3DR looks much cooler though, and I like the feel of the controller far more. I do prefer the now open source aspect more from the Solo though. It's kind of like Apple vs Android and damnit, I like to tinker! Don't think I've ever used a warranty of any kind in my life.

I have two solos and they don’t wobble like yours does in the video when in hover. Definitely seems abnormal

I have two solos and they don’t wobble like yours does in the video when in hover. Definitely seems abnormal
It was extremely windy in that video. In no wind, it doesn't move at all. Perfectly stable.

None of mine wobble like that in flight. I fly in high winds all the time and haven't seen anything resembling what your video shows.

Interesting, I'd like to see a video of that. These were strong Santa Ana winds, parts of trees falling everywhere and wouldn't normally fly in conditions like that. Thought it was just as stable in hover as the DJI's and other videos I saw on YouTube.

Unless you talking about link to other thread (which isn't my video), but mine is similar in wobbly at high speed.

If I had extern video I'd share. But usually I'm more interested in flying than filming me flying. :D

There is a Sorbo mod many have implemented just to address this symptom of a stability. Not saying it will resolve all issues, but was interesting how effective it was from my personal experience. The idea is to stabilize the main board from vibes resonating to the PH, board flex.

As a side note, the empty GP frame you have attached in the video will act as an air foil. Which can have some undesirable affects at higher speeds.

There is a Sorbo mod many have implemented just to address this symptom of a stability. Not saying it will resolve all issues, but was interesting how effective it was from my personal experience. The idea is to stabilize the main board from vibes resonating to the PH, board flex.

As a side note, the empty GP frame you have attached in the video will act as an air foil. Which can have some undesirable affects at higher speeds.

Thanks Rich,

I may have to try that to isolate the board. I did receive a new gimbal the other day, still just waiting on the GoPro.

I did order a Green Cube from Jesters as well. Would like to make sure everything is good and stable for awhile before throwing on Gimbal and GoPro.

Solo outperforms my P1, P3P and P4 in the wind and at high speeds. My Solo will follow orbit in winds that blow my P4 down range. You have a problem if you're wobbling at speed. Getting tossed around close to the ground during high winds is somewhat normal.

I have foolishly flown my Solo in 40 mile an hour winds and it performs well.

Reactions: RichWest
Solo outperforms my P1, P3P and P4 in the wind and at high speeds. My Solo will follow orbit in winds that blow my P4 down range. You have a problem if you're wobbling at speed. Getting tossed around close to the ground during high winds is somewhat normal.

I have foolishly flown my Solo in 40 mile an hour winds and it performs well.

I like the truck, grew up with the Yotes. Was obsessed with early Broncos (66-77), did a lot of rock crawling in those.

I did a paramater reset, IMU and Compass and it seems to be better at least in little to no wind. I could see how the Solo would be better then the Phantoms, since they are shaped like a kite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela