Solex 1.1.1 update

Reaction score
Hey Solex users,

As promised, 1.1.1 is in the pipeline, and should appear on your devices in the customary couple of hours. New in this release:

. Follow/Me: Normal Follow-me
. Kill Switch
. Show GPS location on overlay
. LED controls
. Fixed bogus "3DR Services" notification
. Fix an occasional crash on NVidia tablets
. Fix Tower/Solex cross-binding issue

Follow/Me is just the normal Follow mode like the Solo app has. It's admittedly pretty useful. :)

GPS Overlay is a feature requested by someone who contacted me. He's flying over oil rigs in the ocean and wants to be able to see the lat/lng of his location at any given time. GPS Overlay lets him see that, and I'll be expanding that idea quite a bit in coming releases. (I love how an idea from a user makes a bunch of other ideas sort of pop up out of nowhere. Which is why this community is so cool.)

Kill Switch: Normally, I encourage people to try out every new thing that goes into the app. This is NOT one of those features. This is another feature requested by the guy on the oil rigs. He launches from a big heaving ship (no idea how), and when it's time to land, he positions his Solo over a big crate full of foam blocks. A kill switch allows him to instantly stop the motors and drop into the crate. I tested it by dropping onto a trampoline. Which brings me to why it's a terrible thing to play with: IT STOPS YOUR MOTORS INSTANTLY. And once stopped, they will not start again until your Solo is sitting level. Which it definitely will not be doing if you kill the motors. Unless you provide it with a soft place to land (for example, a big crate full of foam blocks), it may be sitting on a level surface after a kill. But there will likely be several pieces of it instead of an operable Solo. So... Stay well clear of this one. In fact, it's not even visible by default. You have to turn it on in order to see it. And in the interest of all your Solos' safety, I'm not going to tell you how. :-D

LED Control: After some digging around trying to get control of the LEDs, I found a way to control them, more or less. There's more that can be done here, but doing it will require a small modification to the APM code on the Solo, which requires new firmware to be installed, etc. So at some point, I plan to contribute some changes to the APM code base to get that working. For now, you can do some fairly useful or entertaining things with the LEDs, and later, you'll be able to do more (hopefully).

You may have noticed a "3DR Services" notification on your device while Solex is running. That's wrong, it's not 3DR Services, it's DroneKit. The notification is there to ensure the background services continue to run, and necessary, but the title might as well be correct. So now it is.

I noticed some crash reports related to permissions on Nvidia tablets. Apparently, Android requires location permissions in order to examine wifi scan results. Normally these are in place, but Solex will crash if you haven't granted these permissions prior to a wifi scan. So that should be sorted now.

Finally, this update should prevent Tower Beta from inadvertently connecting to Solex's underlying service layer, and Solex accidentally connecting to the one used by Tower. In the former case, there should be no effect other than the wrong messages in USB confirmation dialogs. In the latter case, it would almost certainly cause an app crash (not a Solo crash). So if anyone is using both, let me know what messages you see now when you're running Solex and Tower, and you plug a USB cable in. It should be correct now.

Apologies for the extremely long post. Here's a picture of a Solo to compensate. Happy flying, and stay away from the kill switch!

14468619_10154576576003384_5739406919753612903_o.jpg

Here is a YouTube from ChuckP showing the available LED presets in Solex - including 'Aviation'.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm going to ask Kelly about displaying GPS in the most widely used standard 'seagoing'/Nav Plotting, Coast Guard format. This is the format that the CG looks (hopes) for when you contact them, and the format we (CG/CG Aux) use for SAR and any position reporting (every 15 minutes for aircraft, every 30 minutes for boat). Can't imagine an oil rig not using the same format.

Degrees and Decimal Minutes
DDD° MM.MMM'
32° 18.385' N 122° 36.875' W

This is the format most commonly used when working with electronic navigation equipment.
https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats

Reactions: SteveReno
Here is a YouTube from ChuckP showing the available LED presets in Solex - including 'Aviation'.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm going to ask Kelly about displaying GPS in the most widely used standard 'seagoing'/Nav Plotting, Coast Guard format. This is the format that the CG looks (hopes) for when you contact them, and the format we (CG/CG Aux) use for SAR and any position reporting (every 15 minutes for aircraft, every 30 minutes for boat). Can't imagine an oil rig not using the same format.

Degrees and Decimal Minutes
DDD° MM.MMM'
32° 18.385' N 122° 36.875' W

This is the format most commonly used when working with electronic navigation equipment.
https://www.maptools.com/tutorials/lat_lon/formats
I agree, less chance for misinterpretation, but may be like the Metric system, only used when needed LOL
Thank you young lady for sharing that. Visuals are good especially with LED control.
I'm promoting Solex to everyone...."Droid users"

Hey Solex users,

As promised, 1.1.1 is in the pipeline, and should appear on your devices in the customary couple of hours. New in this release:

. Kill Switch
. LED controls

Follow/Me is just the normal Follow mode like the Solo app has. It's admittedly pretty useful. :)

GPS Overlay is a feature requested by someone who contacted me. He's flying over oil rigs in the ocean and wants to be able to see the lat/lng of his location at any given time. GPS Overlay lets him see that, and I'll be expanding that idea quite a bit in coming releases. (I love how an idea from a user makes a bunch of other ideas sort of pop up out of nowhere. Which is why this community is so cool.)

Kill Switch: Normally, I encourage people to try out every new thing that goes into the app. This is NOT one of those features. This is another feature requested by the guy on the oil rigs. He launches from a big heaving ship (no idea how), and when it's time to land, he positions his Solo over a big crate full of foam blocks. A kill switch allows him to instantly stop the motors and drop into the crate. I tested it by dropping onto a trampoline. Which brings me to why it's a terrible thing to play with: IT STOPS YOUR MOTORS INSTANTLY. And once stopped, they will not start again until your Solo is sitting level. Which it definitely will not be doing if you kill the motors. Unless you provide it with a soft place to land (for example, a big crate full of foam blocks), it may be sitting on a level surface after a kill. But there will likely be several pieces of it instead of an operable Solo. So... Stay well clear of this one. In fact, it's not even visible by default. You have to turn it on in order to see it. And in the interest of all your Solos' safety, I'm not going to tell you how. :-D

LED Control: After some digging around trying to get control of the LEDs, I found a way to control them, more or less. There's more that can be done here, but doing it will require a small modification to the APM code on the Solo, which requires new firmware to be installed, etc. So at some point, I plan to contribute some changes to the APM code base to get that working. For now, you can do some fairly useful or entertaining things with the LEDs, and later, you'll be able to do more (hopefully).

You may have noticed a "3DR Services" notification on your device while Solex is running. That's wrong, it's not 3DR Services, it's DroneKit. The notification is there to ensure the background services continue to run, and necessary, but the title might as well be correct. So now it is.

I noticed some crash reports related to permissions on Nvidia tablets. Apparently, Android requires location permissions in order to examine wifi scan results. Normally these are in place, but Solex will crash if you haven't granted these permissions prior to a wifi scan. So that should be sorted now.

Finally, this update should prevent Tower Beta from inadvertently connecting to Solex's underlying service layer, and Solex accidentally connecting to the one used by Tower. In the former case, there should be no effect other than the wrong messages in USB confirmation dialogs. In the latter case, it would almost certainly cause an app crash (not a Solo crash). So if anyone is using both, let me know what messages you see now when you're running Solex and Tower, and you plug a USB cable in. It should be correct now.

Apologies for the extremely long post. Here's a picture of a Solo to compensate. Happy flying, and stay away from the kill switch!

Is there any possibility of adding features from a different camera other than GOPRO? A camera that would work on the 3DR
Gimbal.

no other camera works in the gimbal because it's specifically made for gopro and it's proprietary hero bus interface (the connector in the gimbal that plugs into the back of the gopro for controlling it). AFAIK there are only 2 other gimbals that exist that work with solo, and neither one is made for video stabilization (designed for mapping/photography) and I think are only 2 axis servo controlled motors (not smooth) and not the 3 axis gyroscope stabilized motors like the gopro gimbal.

Reactions: SARDG
Hey Solex users,

As promised, 1.1.1 is in the pipeline, and should appear on your devices in the customary couple of hours.

Steve,

Does the Geofence in Solex include an altitude FLOOR? If it doesn't, can that be added? It would work to prevent the Solo, once ABOVE the floor, from descending below it, until the floor is cancelled (perhaps in conjunction with RTL.

I'd love to have a feature like that to keep me, or even one of the smart shots, from allowing Solo to descend below a safe altitude...from inadvertently flying into terrain/houses/trees.

Would be especially useful over water.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Steve,

Does the Geofence in Solex include an altitude FLOOR? If it doesn't, can that be added? It would work to prevent the Solo, once ABOVE the floor, from descending below it, until the floor is cancelled (perhaps in conjunction with RTL.

I'd love to have a feature like that to keep me, or even one of the smart shots, from allowing Solo to descend below a safe altitude...from inadvertently flying into terrain/houses/trees.

Would be especially useful over water.

Thanks...

--

Bill
Hi Bill, As for smart shots, it's all about what your initial shot, it's going to play it back very close to original path. it should not drop any altitude.
As for all the other reasons, sounds like a good thing, but emergencies for Low battery, etc would be cancelled because of the Floor limit. User initiated RTH, would cancel out also.
Could add a emergency over ride on these situations?
I fly half the time over water, so yes, it would be a good feature
I'll post the question to Kelly anyay & see what he says.

Have a nice one

Steve

Steve,

There have been reports of a Solo descending as part of a smart shot...like when preparing to climb, as the Solo "rounds off" the climb...descends a little, then climbs up, to smooth out the climb maneuver.

Also...couldn't there be a way for the floor limit to be canceled FIRST by RTH or low battery? I mean, why would the geofence/floor take precedence over RTH or low battery? Or is that just the way those things are hard coded?

Thanks...

no other camera works in the gimbal because it's specifically made for gopro and it's proprietary hero bus interface (the connector in the gimbal that plugs into the back of the gopro for controlling it). AFAIK there are only 2 other gimbals that exist that work with solo, and neither one is made for video stabilization (designed for mapping/photography) and I think are only 2 axis servo controlled motors (not smooth) and not the 3 axis gyroscope stabilized motors like the gopro gimbal.
That is a shame. I was hoping the Xiaomi Yi 4k could be used. This camera has features like GP4, vid looks better, and the camera is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I'll read that a couple of days ago. difference is minor I think, it was just a few bug fixes?
I only report updates about Solex, if new features or major updates have been added.
I will check with kelly again.

I love Solex, I think he's done a great job.

Reactions: EROC
Hey Solex users,

. Kill Switch
. LED controls

So i should have no problems running solex on a NVIDIA SHIELD K1 tablet? Have not purchased the k1 yet but love its features. But i am primarily purchasing a new tablet to replace an RCA VOYAGER PRO..

Gumby...

Yes...the K1 is a good tablet. You should have no problems.

--

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso