Reaction score
This mod isn't my idea, Fred Vandeman on the Solo Facebook User Group came up with this, I was sceptical about this working, but it does. 3DR can't condone this mod, but at the same time, they've not said don't do it, with some mods they do, so that's what made me think it was worth a try.

In a nutshell, carefully remove the plastic tubing from the last 4 cm of the HDMI cable and then remove the shielding for that same section, this means the HDMI cable no longer applies any tension to the gimbal mount, also route the cable as per 3DR's video, don't do any mods to move it behind the post.

This is a video I did at 60% speed (I didn't take note of the actual speed), but it looks fairly smooth to me for raw footage, also note this is the 4.35mm lens which would pick up more vibration than the stock GoPro lens.

HDMI cable shield removal.jpg
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The wind wasn't as strong as it can be it was under 10mph but it did gust occasionally. There's no doubt though this mod would give the gimbal more freedom to move.

This mod isn't my idea, Fred Vandeman on the Solo Facebook User Group came up with this, I was sceptical about this working, but it does. 3DR can't condone this mod, but at the same time, they've not said don't do it, with some mods they do, so that's what made me think it was worth a try.

In a nutshell, carefully remove the plastic tubing from the last 4 cm of the HDMI cable and then remove the shielding for that same section, this means the HDMI cable no longer applies any tension to the gimbal mount, also route the cable as per 3DR's video, don't do any mods to move it behind the post.

This is a video I did at 60% speed (I didn't take note of the actual speed), but it looks fairly smooth to me for raw footage, also note this is the 4.35mm lens which would pick up more vibration than the stock GoPro lens.

View attachment 1338

Yet again thanks Ian for passing on all the good info for those of us not so exited to be on Facebook. More than not the folks from my past should stay in my past for multiple reasons. Lol

Thanks again Ian seems like this should help quite a bit with any issues caused by the cable tension, it's a simple idea but not one I'd thought much about. I reinstalled my gimbal this weekend and seems it helped some, every little bit helps though especially when we're down to little micro vibrations.

I'm debating what shrink to try just so the wire stays somewhat protected, I guess that weaved wire loom would work and still not make it stiffer I've got a bunch of it. Do the wires seem real fragile or not enough to worry about after cutting the insulation back?

If this improves things, then 3dr used an HDMI cable that was too stiff.

Great video, still see some juddering, but like you said with your lens setup and all it will pick up small vibrations.

Did you or Fred Vandeman have any control or video downlink issues? I'm just concerned about the shielding being removed could affect things.

It's an interesting idea. Again Ian thanks for passing along the info to us here. Just can't make myself do facebook...this may change if you keep this up....:)

@Rich You may be right. I started research on HDMI cable this weekend and there are few options for flexible HDMI cable. 3DR may have felt this provided the best performance as to video quality. If there is better regarding flexibility and maintaining video quality, then we have the ability to change out.

Here are some links to add to the conversation regarding alternative HDMI cables. If the above doesn't work out to be the best.

Soldering is not an option. Neither are mechanical connectors to splice a wire. I think shielding of the HDMI cable is critical, more than likely the reason 3DR went this path.

Sources for Custom HDMI cables:

Custom HDMI Cable Builder - Aerialpixels
I contacted these people and they only offer the right angle connector in Micro, no straight type in Micro. This is an interesting solution and would work well if the connectors oriented correctly to the two in the bird. Just don't know how it would work in a confined RF space, it appears to be unshielded.
http://www.usbfirewire.com/micro-to-micro.html
If your looking for a Micro to Micro HDMI this company has every option covered, wrong cable size though. This maybe the only option, they do offer a style with cable that is classified as Ultra-Thin at 4.5mm. Standard is 5mm....fwiw.

If anyone knows of other sources, please add. I'm looking and learning.

@RichWest No ill effects were noted, the cable itself is decent, with each wire inside the cable being thick enough. This mod is one I'm less comfortable recommending as I know it requires the person modding the cable to be careful, however, I know the micro vibration issue is impacting a few people and so it was worth checking this solution and confirming if it worked.

It is worth adding YouTube doesn't accept 2.7K 50FPS, so this video was exported 25FPS so is less smooth than the source, yet still holds up well. I may put up a 1080p 50FPS example this evening.

This mod is one I'm less comfortable recommending as I know it requires the person modding the cable to be careful, however, I know the micro vibration issue is impacting a few people and so it was worth checking this solution and confirming if it worked.

It is worth adding YouTube doesn't accept 2.7K 50FPS, so this video was exported 25FPS so is less smooth than the source, yet still holds up well. I may put up a 1080p 50FPS example this evening.

I was going to say that YouTube does add its own judders to videos and then streaming adds further aberrations. Wish there was a less intrusive video service...

All and all the video was very good. Obviously by you recommending, you saw improvements with the raw videos.

YouTube compression doesn't help, but this 50FPS footage taken on the same evening. I've started some shots pointing down at the ground so you get an impression on the Solo's speed before pointing up.

Interesting idea, is there a con to exposing the wiring like that?

Interesting idea, is there a con to exposing the wiring like that?
It wouldn't pass an FCC test. :p;):D

From a GPS, viewpoint it's got the copper shield and you're stripping the shielding from the HDMI only at the point furthest away from the GPS so I'd hope not. No one from 3DR has jumped onto this mod (on the Facebook page) and said beware, normally if a mod is ill-advised there would be a warning.

Reactions: 1264_Solo
I'm going to try this install idea out on a flight on Thursday evening. This way provides a little more slack so I'm hoping allows the gimbal full freedom to move without any side effects.FullSizeRender.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc