Reaction score
(If this post is in the wrong thread, please place my post where it belongs... Ty Admins..)

Hey guys,

It's me again with a new gimbal problem, that may not be so new to some of you guys out there.

Well, here goes.

I've just recently started having this (new to me) gimbal problem, it all of a sudden decided to start pointing the camera to the right leg and stayed there sort of unbalance, basically not pointing forward like it had been doing all along until now. I've done many things so far to try and resolve this gimbal issue like, factory resetting the controller and the drone, switching the gimbal from my main drone to my backup solo drone to see if it was the drone or the gimbal, tried calibrating the gimbal through mission planner within it's gimbal calibration settings, tried calibrating the controller sticks through mission planner to see if that was the problem, and still it sits off center?

Now, although I didn't find the solution to this gimbal problem... yet?
This is where I hope someone with super solo gimbal tech knowledge might have the answer?

However, I did find a somewhat sortof solution for the offset gimbal issue for time being anyway, & since I know this isn't the answer, it's just a semi fix,

I hope to hear from someone with much more Gimbal smarts then me, that may already have the solution to this problem.

I have also made a little video of the gimbal problem which I'm including below, and what I'm doing to solve my gimbal problem for now, or until I hear from someone in the community that has already solved this gimbal issue correctly.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated. ;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Your IMU is likely hosed. And possibly the yaw motor (which is the one you unplugged)

The only reason it "centers" is that the yaw motor is now putting out no torque.

Yes, your gimbal is messed up.

Reactions: Sneb
Nice video, made me laugh, "I don't know....." You didn't happen to slightly crash the bird?

Bruce, seems you mention bad IMU on most of your replies with wayward gimbals. What causes the IMU to fail and how are you able to confirm? I have seen slightly bent yaw arms that will exhibit the same results. A little effort re-aligning of the arm has resolved the issue.

Fred, two things jump out at me. The ear plug could induce an imbalance to the gimbal's sense of level. There is only about 5mm of clearance between the gimbal and main board, as a typical gimbal install. The one rear ear plug is likely pressing the gimbal down in that quadrant. If you are going to use the ear plugs, install them flush to the top of the gimbal's isolators. Extending out the bottom is no big deal.

The other thing is the factory balance weights. I think you have applied the wrong weights. You need to re-read the manual to install correctly. Either case it is not the cause of your current issue.

The IMU is a very delicate MEMS piece that can be permanently damaged by impact shock, thermal shock, or static electricity discharge. Bent gimbal arms tend to wander or engage in "axis swapping" where motion in one axis causes corrective motion on an opposite axis in my experience. The video doesn't show the slow wandering I'm used to seeing for a bent arm or other issue.

I'm not claiming to be able to confirm anything in this case. just offering an opinion. I usually use words like "seems" or "likely" because the gimbal is a very finely balanced fusion of a couple different technical areas and trouble in one can show up in the other and it is really impossible for me to know anything at a distance.

The way I confirm it for myself is to swap in a known good lower board and see if the unit begins behaving.

Reactions: RichWest
I'm not claiming to be able to confirm anything in this case. just offering an opinion. I usually use words like "seems" or "likely" because the gimbal is a very finely balanced fusion of a couple different technical areas and trouble in one can show up in the other and it is really impossible for me to know anything at a distance.

The way I confirm it for myself is to swap in a known good lower board and see if the unit begins behaving.
Man you are speaking the truth. Fusion is a great word and it's amazing how well engineered these gimbals are in the big picture. But sure, one shot and your done in most cases. Releasing or installing the ribbon cables is the biggest pain.

Just got through attempting to repair hardhat068's gimbal with two different lower assemblies I had on hand. All that remained of his gimbal was the main board, which surprisingly survived fully functional. I spent most of the morning swapping it all around. I can now confirm both of my lower assemblies are toast.

Well, thanks for the info on the possible bad IMU and delicate MEMS. Unfortunately, if this is infact a bad and unrepairable gimbal, then I don't know what I'm going to do because I did nothing to cause this, I did not crash and there was nothing different from the time it was working to the time it decided to break out of nowhere. So this is kinda Bull Sh*&, that it just decided to break like that out of nowhere?

Sorry but this does not bode well for the solo or it's gimbals or for me spending over 200$ to buy a new gimbal just for it to break out of nowhere again too?

This does not bode well for this SOLO Drone with me!

Sad.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the info on the possible bad IMU and delicate MEMS. Unfortunately, if this is infact a bad and unrepairable gimbal, then I don't know what I'm going to do because I did nothing to cause this, I did not crash and there was nothing different from the time it was working to the time it decided to break out of nowhere. So this is kinda Bull Sh*&, that it just decided to break like that out of nowhere?

Sorry but this does not bold well for the solo or it's gimbals or for me spending over 200$ to buy a new gimbal just for it to break out of nowhere again too?

This does not bold well for this SOLO Drone with me!

Sad.
Sounds like it will not bode well for you then....

Reactions: brianuc4
Not for me!
If this Solo thinks it can't be sold forward, then think again!

But I'm not dumping 200$+ into this drone again just so it can break itself out of nowhere... Sorry!

If in fact my gimbal is broken, and of course it most likely is :mad: ... & I don't really want to dump another $200 into a 3dr solo gimbal that's just going to break again for some unknown reason, then maybe, this guy from colombia has the answer I'm looking for. Check it out.

Feiyu mini3D gimbal video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now, he is speaking spanish in this video but, you can pretty much make out the gist of what he is talking about, along with his working (Feiyu mini3D) gimbal. Solo controller and all!

In short, if I can find a decent $40 to $50 dollar gimbal that would work on the solo and it's controller, and if the only thing that I'd have to worry about would be that I have to hit the record button on the camera first, then that's a solution in my book!

Let me know what you guys think of this idea?
IMO, it's better than tossing another $200 at the problem.

CNC FPV BGC 2 Axis Brushless Gimbal w/Controller for GoPro
www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-FPV-BGC-2-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-w-Controller-for-GoPro-3-DJI-1-2-Black-US/131482126539

Tarot T4-3D Gimbal For Gopro Hero
www.ebay.com/itm/Tarot-T4-3D-Gimbal-For-Gopro-Hero4-3-3-Double-Shock-Absorber-Gimbal-F17394/263390940035

Feiyu Tech FY-WG Mini 2 Axis Wearable Gimbal for GoPro
www.ebay.com/itm/Feiyu-Tech-FY-WG-Mini-2-Axis-Wearable-Gimbal-for-GoPro-Great-condition/332493945546

Reactions: overdriver999
Update: I just found someone on facebook selling there new in box 3dr solo gimbal for $70 bucks!

Well Sir... I think I'll take it!

Let's see if this puts a quick end to my gimbal woes.. o_O

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc