Experimental Smart Shot #1 Pano

Reaction score
Experimental Smart Shot #1 Pano

3DR Dev, Jason Short created an experimental Smart Shot called Pano. I've had a chance to test it and its nothing short of amazing. And the way he implemented it allows anyone to create a smart shot and utilize the controller to invoke it.

View media item 245
Prereqs
-Make sure you have the latest version of solo firmware

Install
-connect your computer to sololink wifi
-Run the installer script from a command line ./solo_tools.sh, then choose Pano.
-in the solo app, map the sport flight mode to button a or button b (Pano overrides Sport)
-Restart solo

Usage
-take off as normal
-point solo at the center of your panorama and press a or b for sport. The controller will say Pano.
-once in Pano, A and B are menus. A for Photo panorama and B for video panorama.
-in Photo mode, Linear Pano will take 3 shots at -180 of center, center and 180 of center
-Spherical Pano will take 13 shots at various angles and yaw. You will need an app to stitch the photos to create a little planet or VR sphere.
-in Video mode you can control a constant Yaw rate. Use the left stick to slow, speed up or reverse the direction. It can be used for Hyperlapse or easy video pans.

Known bugs
-Photo (Linear Pano) takes an extra photo when starting
-Photo (Spherical Pano) takes extra photos when starting

Disclaimer
This is an experimental smart shot. Use at your own risk.

Download
Dropbox - Shots_Installer.zip

Very cool. But... I'm not sure pano is high on my list of new smart shot requests given that I can do the same manually with a fair amount of ease. Still, it's cool that he did it and that it works.

I am guessing you have your go pro set to wide angle?

If you were to take the same shots with the narrow or medium angle, would it straighten things out? Just curious if there is a better setting on the go pro for this.

I am guessing you have your go pro set to wide angle?

If you were to take the same shots with the narrow or medium angle, would it straighten things out? Just curious if there is a better setting on the go pro for this.

yeah i always use use wide when taking pics. the lens used was a is a 3.8mm. but if you are using the stock lens you can just remove the barrel distortion before stitching. good stitching software can account for barrel distortion without having to remove it before hand.

I was trying to figure out the zip line functionality. What is the difference between zip line and multi cable cam?

I was trying to figure out the zip line functionality. What is the difference between zip line and multi cable cam?

i'm testing zipline and amazing is an understatement. so with zipline, solo projects a virtual cable directly in front and behind solo all the way to infinity (its actually 1000m). solo can traverse forwards and backwards along this cable by using the right stick. zipline has two modes free look and spot lock. in free look, you are free to yaw using the left stick and pitch the gimbal using the paddle. this is very useful for dolly camera moves (push ins, push outs, side-to-side tracking).

in spot lock, whatever solo is facing will be locked on when you enable spot lock. now, as solo traverses the cable, it will automatically yaw to keep the target locked. this is an advanced camera move called a pivot that is performed in pretty much every single hollywood movie. on a drone, it cannot be performed by hand, but now with zipline you can. spot lock can let you do other camera blocking techniques such as stacking, angle on a path, etc.

i'm working on shooting a compelling scene that shows the power of zipline. footage of town houses and trees doesn't do it any justice.

Reactions: erikgraham and J R
Pano is a cool idea, and I really want to try zipline as well!! It's like the compass lock the DJI has which is really cool if you want to follow smth along a road without having to god to Point A and Point be to establish the cable first.

QUESTION, when you install a new smart shot, do they appear as an additional shot in the list of smart shots? Or you need to replace an existing one? I wonder how elegant the implementation is.

Pano is a cool idea, and I really want to try zipline as well!! It's like the compass lock the DJI has which is really cool if you want to follow smth along a road without having to god to Point A and Point be to establish the cable first.

QUESTION, when you install a new smart shot, do they appear as an additional shot in the list of smart shots? Or you need to replace an existing one? I wonder how elegant the implementation is.
From other posts, it does NOT sound like they even go in the smartshit list. They are installed as advanced flight modes" and get assigned to a or b to activate them.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Ok, considering the system is open source, I wonder if the UI can be updated. I guess not.

Ok, considering the system is open source, I wonder if the UI can be updated. I guess not.

right now you have two methods of running custom smart shots, execute them from a computer using ssh or hijacking one of the flight modes like this Jason has done with Pano. His method is more elegant because it gives you access to the controller's screen as well as the capability to use buttons a and b.

as far as getting custom smart shots into the app, how would that work without updating the ios/android app? that's the big UI problem. there is an idea floating around on github about letting the solo app query solo on startup for available smart shots and for the custom ones they would show up in a list and at minimum you be able to execute them. if that works, then potentially custom smart shots could get UI options such as the options menu, play/pause, etc.

in the meantime, if you have a custom smart shot that requires a UI, you'll have to write a custom ios/android app to support it.

Ok wow I had no idea you had to rebuild the app to add features in the UI. It'd be neat to have a way to download smart shots from the Solo app like you would download extra features in regular apps. I guess 3DR would need to verify them and put them into a library.

Reactions: erikgraham
Ok wow I had no idea you had to rebuild the app to add features in the UI. It'd be neat to have a way to download smart shots from the Solo app like you would download extra features in regular apps. I guess 3DR would need to verify them and put them into a library.
Smart shot App Store. Assuming a base set of quality smart shots are free, I'd pay for some additional cool smart shots.

Yes, it would be nice if smartshots were just plugins to the main app, so you just upload a zip file to a dir or something and anything in that dir would just show up in the smartshot library without having to alter the main app. Much like a photoshop or premiere plugin.

Reactions: erikgraham
i'm testing zipline and amazing is an understatement. so with zipline, solo projects a virtual cable directly in front and behind solo all the way to infinity (its actually 1000m). solo can traverse forwards and backwards along this cable by using the right stick. zipline has two modes free look and spot lock. in free look, you are free to yaw using the left stick and pitch the gimbal using the paddle. this is very useful for dolly camera moves (push ins, push outs, side-to-side tracking).

in spot lock, whatever solo is facing will be locked on when you enable spot lock. now, as solo traverses the cable, it will automatically yaw to keep the target locked. this is an advanced camera move called a pivot that is performed in pretty much every single hollywood movie. on a drone, it cannot be performed by hand, but now with zipline you can. spot lock can let you do other camera blocking techniques such as stacking, angle on a path, etc.

i'm working on shooting a compelling scene that shows the power of zipline. footage of town houses and trees doesn't do it any justice.
franknitty - did you ever complete that zip-line compilation?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc