Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

3.8mm
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

3.8mm 2.7k 60
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: J R
Plug and Play, awesome. So it's a different model, but same optics I assume?
Order in 100 units minimum though.

they sell even just one (ask for test sample), I paid $49 for the lens, just don't know which version they sent me, my order was few weeks ago, still waiting for it.

I need JR to pick up from the first post and link the next 4 examples
I can do 5 more after that since I have the third post, should have reserved some

Just gather up the next 5 videos that have been linked here and post them
trying to get one of each lens at the front of the page, its no bigger if you don't

Just gather up the next 5 videos that have been linked here and post them
trying to get one of each lens at the front of the page, its no bigger if you don't

Pyrate,

Call me dumb but I'm not sure which ones you want up there. If you give me post #'s I'll see if I can't get them in my post #2.

Jerry

received my 3.80mm, it's the new type, went straight in, no hassles.
how do you focus this ? I have it connected to my TV and can focus easily on objects in the room, but watching Ramcage youtube video they suggest to focus on an object 150ft away, I really don't want to drag my TV outdoor :)

and do you secure the new lens in the thread with glue or leave it free ? I like the idea of not using the glue, I could then swap lenses quite easily all the time. apart from the stock lens I also have another after market lens : 2.7mm low-distortion 12MP, in case I really need wide view with minimal distortion.

received my 3.80mm, it's the new type, went straight in, no hassles.
how do you focus this ? I have it connected to my TV and can focus easily on objects in the room, but watching Ramcage youtube video they suggest to focus on an object 150ft away, I really don't want to drag my TV outdoor :)

and do you secure the new lens in the thread with glue or leave it free ? I like the idea of not using the glue, I could then swap lenses quite easily all the time. apart from the stock lens I also have another after market lens : 2.7mm low-distortion 12MP, in case I really need wide view with minimal distortion.

its best to use a large flat screen connected via hdmi. i think setting the gopro to 1080 narrow is the easiest. as far as the distance, you can either point at a random object at some distance, a car 25ft away for example, and adjust until the object has the best focus (find the best focus, nudge cw, nudge ccw, use the best one between the 3 positions).

me personally, i like to use the hyperfocal method which calculates the optimal focus distance based on sensor size and focal length. once the optimal distance is calculated you would place a focus chart at that distance and adjust til the chart is in focus. the idea with hyperfocal distance is that at certain distance and beyond, focus will be at infinity.

and to secure the lens, just use a little bit of teflon tape (plumbers tape).

Reactions: pete and RichWest
Man, that Frankitty dude will make your brain work

In order to calculate hyperfocal distance, you need to know three things:
  1. Focal length – This will depend on what lens you're using.
  2. Circle of confusion value – Commonly 0.03 and 0.02; depends on sensor type.
  3. F-stop – f/11 and f/13 are often regarded as optimal for landscape photography.

So not sure what the circle of confusion setting is for a gopro camera is, but here is an online calculator
Hyperfocal Distance Table Calculator -- PanoHelp.com

Reactions: pete and RichWest
Oh heck what are pyrates for, I will go down their
well now using the calculator we can figure it out

me personally, i like to use the hyperfocal method which calculates the optimal focus distance based on sensor size and focal length. once the optimal distance is calculated you would place a focus chart at that distance and adjust til the chart is in focus. the idea with hyperfocal distance is that at certain distance and beyond, focus will be at infinity.

In order to calculate hyperfocal distance, you need to know three things:
  1. Focal length – This will depend on what lens you're using.
  2. Circle of confusion value – Commonly 0.03 and 0.02; depends on sensor type.
  3. F-stop – f/11 and f/13 are often regarded as optimal for landscape photography.

thanks for the home work guys :)

so according to my calculations, I should place my target object 33.5m (110ft) away.

I used 21.66mm as my focal length as I'm assuming this needs to be 35mm equivalent, I used this calculator for the equiv. focal length : 35mm Equivalent Focal Length Calculator

and in the hyperfocal distance calculator I used f/2.8 since this is the fixed aperture on the 3.80mm lens.

-------------------------------------------------------
Lens Multiplication Factor for 1/2.3" sensor is 5.7

3.80 * 5.7 = 21.66

Hyperfocal distance :

h = (21.66 * 21.66) / (2.8 * 0.005) + 21.66 = 33532.77mm = 33.5m = 110ft
(don't even understand why bother to add the additional 21.66mm at the end of the formula, makes only 0.06% of a difference)

very happy with the 3.80mm on my GoPro H3+
I think I nailed that focusing 100%
if I use burst photo function to take 30 pictures and then merge them, I can't get anywhere near this detail even with my Sony RX100M3 (1" sensor).

and as for the 3.97mm (which I also received this week), that's not even a contest.

I can't even notice any distortion on 3.80mm whereas the 3.97mm is extremely soft overall and very distorted in corners.

I'll upload some photos and videos for comparison later...

(this is actually exported from Picasa only at 85% quality, the original on my Mac is 9Mb)
(edit: reduced the quality even further, now it's down to 1.6Mb, previous version was loading forever)

G0011290.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado